Is Cooling necessary on M.2 SSD?

Is cooling necessary on M.2 SSD (SATA or NVME)

• Yes

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • with or without cooling, No difference

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
rsquared, I take a closer look, the circle is quite big, that region is w/o a heatsink, so whatever chip is underneath it, cannot get its heat dissipated.

As such, I'm back to square 1, I'm still aiming for Aqua

It looks like metal underneath it to me, seems like that would still help dissipate heat. You could probably pop it out without too much trouble.

As such, I'm back to square 1, I'm still aiming for Aqua
Seriously? Holy Nirvana fallacy, Batman. As ChoGGi has noted, the logo is just a disc, like a coin on top of the heatsink; pop it off if it disturbs you. Or get one of these or these or these. There are numerous options here besides being obsessed with the Aqua Computer heatsink.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Waiting on my doorstop today, two of the EK M.2 heatsinks.

IMG_20170802_162607.jpg
As supplied, US penny for scale.

IMG_20170802_162732.jpg
Logo disc popped out.

The hole behind the logo is news to me. This will indeed cool whatever's there a little less effectively, though surely not enough of a difference to matter.

IMG_20170802_162755.jpg
On an angle, trying to show the slightly-shorter fins there. There's also a bit of adhesive-crud left over.

rsquared, thanks for taking the dive for us. I definitely will NOT buy this heatsink. Aqua does ship internationally, I 'll go w/ them instead

In short, we have seen heat sinks for GPU, CPU, etc. in this hardforum, easily well over a few hundred thousands heatsink. Noone else this. I don't know who on earth is EKWB, I don't want to know

I never do water cooling because of the cancer effect on chemical. (I'm not the one saying this, govt. of California is)

those giant heatsink from the photo posted above is only for device that has a LOT of heat coming out

It's a liberal state so it doesn't surprise me. Always trying to keeps it's citizens safe.

Zalman advertise Wet Water, w/i Wet Water there is a chemical (forgot the name), Govt. of CA banned that chemical for sale w/i state of CA due to cancer. To be fair, if you play a game at high frame rate, the faster the radiator run, the more of that chemical dissipate out, and it goes into your lungs as you just sit next to your PC

I voted yes but there really should be a "depends" vote selection. Some setups have an M.2 placed in a way that it gets cooled just fine by other things (video card fan, case fan, etc). I have several M.2 nvme drives. My main workstation here at my shop is a Dell T7910 and it came with one but its also came on special card with 4 M.2 slots and a cooling tunnel and fan. No problems at all on this configuration and no heatsinking directly contacting the SSD's. I recently picked up an HP Wave (unusual design - google it). Very cool little machine for the living room - I got one with the discrete AMD video but no SSD so I took it apart to add an M.2 nvme as the boot drive and kept the 2tb spinner for bulk storage. Holy wowza - that is quite a big chore to add one to the M.2 slot in the Wave. HP does NOT intend for you to do this yourself for sure. Anyways it pretty much has zero airflow and almost zero room around it for anything. After putting it back together it was throttling and running hot as hell under even a slight load. So took it back apart, hacked up the innards of the case and mobo tray around it to make literally about a quarter inch of room. Cut up an old aluminum heatsink and got a bit of Fujiopoly 17.0 W/mK thermal pad and zip tied the heatsink to the ssd with that pad and that took care of it. Temps dropped on average about 20 degrees on the ssd. Godawful tight in the little Wave machine but it worked.

I think any of the very thin heatsinks linked woudl have worked just as well. One thing I wanted though was a premium thermal pad that can dissipate more heat than some cheapo crap which is why I ordered the Fujiopoly pad. That stuff is not cheap though. Most of the thermal pad materials you find are around 3.0 to 6.0 W/mK. https://www.amazon.com/Fujipoly-mod...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W61VFZSP61Y60JZY742P

I also found after the face that they also have one with the 17 w/Mk rating in a .5mm thickness too. The size of the strip I ordered was just the right size though and worked fine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back