Is CompTIA a+ certification worth it?

SuperCell

Limp Gawd
Anyone have it?

I want to start a small PC repair business, so while I know I don't "need" it, is it worth it for lending to credibility?

My view is that degrees and certifications always make someone look better. On the job hunt, some places even list A+ as a requirement for a position, so it wouldn't hurt to make your business look more reliable.

Its easy and fairly cheap to get along with Network + and Security +, it gives you a foundation to start on

Anyone have it?

I want to start a small PC repair business, so while I know I don't "need" it, is it worth it for lending to credibility?

If you're starting a PC Repair business no matter the size, yes it's definitely worth it in the sense it lends you credibility. It isn't a super important or worthwhile cert these days, but it's a foundation and something easy enough to slap onto your resumé while you work on other certs.

Definitely isn't worth paying the extra $$$ now to maintain that thing for 3 years if you ask me.

Like the others have said, it adds credibility as well as some employers do look for it. It isnt a hard cert, but it does cover a lot of different things.

Its easy and fairly cheap to get along with Network + and Security +, it gives you a foundation to start on

this
get it while you go to school. that way you might be able to get a job while youre in school.

It's definitely relevant to PC repair but I don't think it will make a difference to your customers if you have it. The content that's on it is certainly important to know and to ask for from potential employees.

Outside of PC repair, most companies are more interested in experience with software and operating systems for help desk type jobs. So, certificates from Microsoft are more applicable.

Yes. Customers will see "Certified" and it will give them a bit of a positive thought. While the certification could be some intense training and certification, it could also be some fly by night school certification. But, they usually think positively of certifications.

A+ is a great one for a PC business, though. Also might look into Microsoft Partner status (even the basic one). If you have an ad that displays those next to one that doesn't, they'll go for the most 'qualified' in their eyes. Customers are coming to you because they can't do it, they don't know about that kind of stuff. They see that you have those qualification and you're the guy to go to all of a sudden.

Look in the phone book at computer service ads - a lot of them will have the A+ logo and/or Microsoft Partner logo. It does look good to a potential customer. And, when you move on to other certs, it can help out. And, when you go for a real job, you have the experience plus certs, which can put you ahead of others.

Definitely isn't worth paying the extra $$$ now to maintain that thing for 3 years if you ask me.

Yeah, glad I got my years ago when it was still "lifetime" :D Didn't get Security + but I might for shits and giggles unless I'm forced to get CCNA or MCSA to find a job in Portland when I move, ung.....

Yeah, glad I got my years ago when it was still "lifetime" :D Didn't get Security + but I might for shits and giggles unless I'm forced to get CCNA or MCSA to find a job in Portland when I move, ung.....

MCSA and MCSE are actually good certifications. I would actually recommend it to everyone. Its actually frustrating to work with other administrators that have absolutely no idea of what best practices are or how a network infrastructure is designed. Im just glad I dont work on servers anymore and only focus on Networking, though my co. is kicking my a$$ and wants me to get my CCNP.

Part of me just wants to just say "Fuck all this shit" to IT in general but part of me doesn't want to give up yet either. I'd rather have my experience and customer relation skills speak for myself rather then a expensive paper cert i'm forced to get because "everyone else" has it or demands it. *shrug* I looked into to getting into the wind industry as a turbine tech earlier this year but after fnding out the lifestyle of spending hours in the middle of nowhere in crappy weather and living in a small rural town with nothing to do didn't appease me so I gave up on that dream.

Part of me just wants to just say "Fuck all this shit" to IT in general but part of me doesn't want to give up yet either. I'd rather have my experience and customer relation skills speak for myself rather then a expensive paper cert i'm forced to get because "everyone else" has it or demands it. *shrug* I looked into to getting into the wind industry as a turbine tech earlier this year but after fnding out the lifestyle of spending hours in the middle of nowhere in crappy weather and living in a small rural town with nothing to do didn't appease me so I gave up on that dream.

I work as a network engineer at tier 1 university with zero certifications, but I had a few years experience when I got the job....:)

I started in Help Desk, about 11 years ago

Experience is definitely the way to go for future employment opportunities. But certs can't hurt, that's for sure. I have a Sec+ ce cert, and starting next year I'm going to run the gamut with CompTIA, including A+, Net+, Server+, etc. I don't know your background on education, but a Bachelors degree never hurt either.

But yeah, for computer repair, A+ will at least put your customers minds at ease.

Oh, and AT-AT28, don't ever work for the DoD or join the military. I'm a Tier 3 base level Network Operator in the USAF, and when in a deployed environment, I get go to tent city for 6 months haha. Not knocking you, just saying it could be worse!

Last edited:
I have an Associates Degree in IT Management I got 10 years ago this month. Wow...I feel old now. Lol, I have too many mental health issues along astigmatism in my eyes, so none of the military branchs wanted me when I was in my prime. And to think I wanted to be a submarine captain when I was a kid after watching The Hunt for Red October.

With many companies, if they see you've recently gotten A+ use it as a flag that you don't have a lot of experience since its an entry-level cert. I'd say skip ahead to net+ or work on some microsoft certs.

If your goals are starting a small PC retail/repair shop I would say it is still worth it. For the amount it costs can't hurt to be able to advertise with it.

Like other people have said, in major corps nowadays it doesn't hold much if any weight.

Its not bad bad cert it also does count towards Microsoft certs as well.

A+ is kind of useless, but what it does do is confirm your dedication to the field and your profension by going out and extending your skills. Any time I interview guys that say they know shit and have no certs I start thinking to my self 1. Your arrogant 2 Your lazy 3 You are really good. So I usually start asking technical questions, this usually sperates boys from men. I have seen both sides of the of the spectrum fail miserably. In all honesty I had more luck with techs when they had both.

Personally, if I'm forced to get a cert, especially one I don't wanna get but everyone demands and I still don't get the job, I don't see the point wasting my time and money on it. Lazy? Perhaps, but im gonna be honest about it.

Personally, if I'm forced to get a cert, especially one I don't wanna get but everyone demands and I still don't get the job, I don't see the point wasting my time and money on it. Lazy? Perhaps, but im gonna be honest about it.

Except he is not being forced. He is a business owner himself.

Back