Is Biostar TA790XE Compatable With Phenom II X4 945

JeffC

Weaksauce
I just upgraded my memory on my kids system to 4GB AData Premier DDR2 800. This is the top of the line for their mobo (Biostar N61PB-M2S). I have now decided to upgrade their CPU & Mobo.

I am looking at upgrading them to a Biostar TA790XE with a Athlon II X4 645 or a Phenom II X4 945. Will I be loosing any functionality of the CPU by running it on an AM2+/AM3 board as opposed to a straight AM3 board?

The reason for me choosing the AM2+/AM3 board instead of an AM3 board is because I want to be able to use the DDR2 memory.

Thanks
Jeff

no you wont loose any functionality of the processor. the DDR3 IMC's in the x4's arent that great so the performance is roughly the same as DDR2 1066. only benefit to DDR3 is the higher bandwidth but its really only noticeable in synthetic benchmarks. the X6's are a different story though.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. Saves me the hassle of returning the memory and buying more.

One last question. I have used Biostar mobos for years and never had problems. Yet I have been reading a number of threads calling them "cheap" and saying they are low quality boards. Is this true? If so can anyone recommend another AM2+/Am3 mobo?

Jeff

The TA (aka TForce aka T-series) are not low quality, they are low on features/fluff that other manufacturers add. That is how they remain among the cheapest of the good overclocking boards. The regular "A" series boards are skimped in ways that make them no good for overclocking but fine for regular use.

Back