Is Battlefield Bad Company 2 worth getting?

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
So, my WoW account is expiring and to be honest I'm getting sick of having to do 5-6 hours of prep just for 3 hours of raiding and pretty much spending my entire time of WoW prepping. I'm thinking of switching back over to FPS and was wondering if BFBC2 worth getting? Or are there others I should get? I'll be using the desktop and maybe my laptop to play it, I should be able to play it at decent rates right?

Yeah you should be ok. that 4870 1GB is in the range of a GTX260 procs fine rams fine.. mm yeah youll get low-medium settings.

BFBC2 is the defacto teambased FPS. Its very good and a lot of leveling/unlocking so you should get 30-80 hours out of it.

Most people recommend Team Fortress 2. Even my wife plays it. Same deal heavy teamwork.

If you wanna just run around griefing and shooting anything that moves I'd suggest Counter-strike source, CoD: MW2 and Black ops. Those are the current most played Arena shooters.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I would suggest Black ops over MW2 because it has dedicated servers so you can find a server you like and stay there. Also the community will stick around for that one a bit longer where as MW2 is dropping off pretty quick.

Bad Company 2 doesnt show up because it doesn't require Steam but believe me it's packed all the time. The others you can see all still have a ton of people on 24/7.

I also enjoy "killing Floor" Heavy heavy heavy teamwork zombie shooter. far more so than L4D, but those are only if you're into Zombie shooting.

what he said. but if your question is only about bc2, it is a no-brainer. I had hundreds of hours of fun with it.

Just so you know.... BFBC2 is a little buggy and there is a bit of a learning curve gameplay wise. Having said that, despite its issues, the MP is great (SP is so-so). There are lots of ways to customize your character, the maps are very good (most are BIG) and the gaming modes have something for everyone.

Like all FPSs (and all online games), some people tend to exploit certain aspects of the game and play really "cheap". There is some hacking, but it is limited.

Don't get exasperated when you start and get pnwed :rolleyes:. Unless you are really good, it is bound to happen. Stick with it - it gets much better once you learn the maps, get used to the game play and level up. Like the OP said, you can get many hours of enjoyment out of the game, but it can be a bit daunting at first.

Anyway, get the game, you won't be sorry!

If you wanna just run around griefing and shooting anything that moves I'd suggest Counter-strike source, CoD: MW2 and Black ops. Those are the current most played Arena shooters.

You can do that in BC2 in TDM as well (an under-rated part of the game IMO). But please, hold the greifing....

Last edited:
It won't be bad at all with your experience, bc2 is kid's play compared to bf2, don't forget to register your cd keys so you can get the M1 garand bonus unlock http://veteran.battlefield.com/

as long as your framerates and pings are in check you should be able to stay above 1.0 KD even during your first few rounds, heck i even managed to shot down an apache with my tank cannon while playing my very first game post beta :D

Don't forget to set bloom to false on settings.ini and undergrowth to low, you'll get much better visibility this way since there will be less vegetation and no stupid sun effects obstructing your view.

I don't want to overwhelm your or anything but here's a very handy guide if you find your ingame mouse input feel "floaty" or laggy like playing CSS with m_filter 1
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/0/1011843.page#6097925

Last edited:
buy it, rip shit up, when you get bored, switch to weapons you havnt used at all, its like a whole new game.

Best FPS I have played in years. Matter fact may be the best. I have never put as many hours into a game (outside an MMO) like I have BFBC2.

Squad based play, nothing comes close. 2142 is 2nd.

Being a Battlefield game the sheer scope and size of the game is pretty amazing.

The ringer? The destructible environment. NOTHING is as satisfying in a game as taking out some new guy who thinks he is "camping" up in that attic. When the 40mm grenade takes out the wall and him...I just tell my wife we can forgo sex that night.

Someone mentioned the learning curve. Yeah. It's pretty steep. You WILL get your ass handed to you early. Till like level 15 or so. By that time you will get a feel for the game, maps and weapons. Do not get discouraged. Just remember...Cover Cover Cover! Find some. Love some. It absolutely gets easier and much more fun!

BrahmaDogAlpha is my in game name. Hit me up with a friend invite. Hell all you guys!

BC2 should be great for you, if I remember correctly it is also pretty cheap right now. Has very immersive audio, its really fun when you get some great teamwork going, and you should be really well off hardware-wise, maybe a slight CPU bottleneck since its a CPU heavy game.

TF2, like stated above, is a great, low stress, and very fun team-based game, and is worth considering as well.

OH, and dont think like a lot of people that the starting weapons are bad.

by NO means are they lesser in use than the unlockable weapons you will get, hell i tend to go back and prefer the first weapons you get automatically.

Nope

I wish I hadn't bought it.

If you do buy it in Steam though, I didn't and have many issues with running the game.

I play for about 20mins and it crashes to Windows, I have tried many different things and can seem to get it to run without crashing.

I am very tempted to buy this now that it is at $20. Then again there are probably some good deals on games coming up soon for the holidays.

As for TF2, I've played it since the beginning, and have spent about 120 hours playing as spy alone, at least 200 total. It's a really fun and low stress game with gameplay unlike anything out there. It really takes some looking to find well run servers (especially since I am a fan of vanilla style play and find it better balanced than highly modified servers).

Absolutely. And it keeps going into the $13-15 over at EA. They are about to release 4 new maps as well.

What the hell you are prepping for 5 hours? Obviously you're doing it wrong.

If your good and bring everything that can benefit the raid group , then 5 hours a week is average for someone who isn't coming to raids and mooching off everyone else.

I also enjoy "killing Floor" Heavy heavy heavy teamwork zombie shooter. far more so than L4D, but those are only if you're into Zombie shooting.

Think its the other way around. Easy for me to solo even in suicidal, but in expert in L4D series, tough. Need good teamwork.

If only I remember what my IDs were. >_< Its been a while and I've changed emails a few times. :(

Get in the live chat and tell them you owned the other games and they will just give you the vet status. They didnt ask for cd-keys or anything from me just gave it up no questions asked.

As far as multiplayer shooters go, BF:BC2 is the best game I've played since I built my new PC in 2008 after I quit WoW.

CoD4:MW was the last shooter I played the hell out of before BC2 and it's no comparison. BC2 moves the genre forward instead of standing still (never bought MW2, won't buy BLOPS for this reason). It has the best spawn system in any online shooter, huge maps, diverse game modes, destructible environments, vehicles and dedicated servers.

It's not perfect, but it's the best online shooter out now. At $20, you're an idiot if you don't get it.

Yes it's a good game. I've had it installed for months but haven't really played it. I'm playing the hell out of it now and it's really good. I thought single player was kinda boring though, so stick with MP.

Are there any must have non-free DLC packs or expansions yet for this game?

all the DLC is free.. it will automatically download with the patches after you start the game the first time. expansion pack is the vietnam DLC which comes out next month and will be 15 bucks. also they are saying the spec dlc should be coming to the pc version as well (allows you to change the look/camo of your character/gun's) but not sure if it is or when it is.

Does it matter whether I buy it from Steam or buy the physical game? Besides the box vs no-box difference?

Does it matter whether I buy it from Steam or buy the physical game? Besides the box vs no-box difference?
nope, doesnt matter at all. i like having the physical disc. especially since i can no longer install steam on this system.

Yea, I just built a new PC prior to Black Ops, purchased Black Ops, got bored very quickly, bought this, and it's much better. The content is pretty good.

I'll add my Yes to the list.
Killing 4-5 people after destroying that last wall of a building is just....... there's no word.

great great awesomeness is going in a building, killing a squad AND their respawns (they can respawn in same area if any are left 15 seconds later). Only managed that a few times but awesome when it happens.

Okay, so I bought the game, but when I try to update it, it takes about 6 hours, then it freezes and says the download file is corrupt every time. I'm trying to download the R9 patch, but it times out after an hour... Is there anywhere I can download them?

The fact that there is a 430-page thread on Bad Company 2 here kind of speaks for what this forum thinks of it.

Really wish we'd get Onslaught Mode though.

Okay, so I bought the game, but when I try to update it, it takes about 6 hours, then it freezes and says the download file is corrupt every time. I'm trying to download the R9 patch, but it times out after an hour... Is there anywhere I can download them?

Some links here.

Back