Is Battlefield 4 worth buying

What do you mean "soon"? It's Monday lol.

I mean the game was just released. I don't know - maybe I don't pay enough attention to Black Friday. I always assumed that they'd put games on sale that were a bit older (with a super low price).

I picked it up for 25$
I played it with 3 other guys at a lan over the weekend

my game kept crashing every map change...for about 10 maps, then that stopped
my buddies then started randomly having the game crash, totally random
the sound on some of the maps just cuts out...for everyone

odd behavior here and there, but otherwise, those were the major issues

the game should of stayed in beta as far as I'm concerned, had I paid 59$ I would of been pissed off, but at 25$...meh, I'll wait until they fix it

the best thing they did with this game, is now when you join a game with friends, it puts you on the same team and the same squad...that is the best thing about it

I am not able to play this game long enough to give a good game play evaluation. It crashes literally ever 10 minutes on my system. Not worth the money paid at all.

The other day a friend of mine contacted me all panicked because he had just bought a new video card and battlefield 4 and he was having a ton of crashes. He thought it was a problem with his card and even after I told him that it was actually BF4 he was skeptical. He didn't think that anyone would release a game as buggy as BF4. He finally accepted it when a bunch of us tried playing together and every single one of us crashed several times.

The game crashes don't bug me as much as the random server crashes where everyone crashes at once and your stats don't get saved. Nothing like earning the same promotions over and over again.

Why people keep paying EA for this stuff is beyond me. Who cares if it is $25... don't pay to beta test for them. They can move at a glacial speed to fix it because - THEY ALREADY HAVE YOUR MONEY. I enjoy the BF franchise, but I'm not going to give Devs/Publishers any money until their latest release gets majorly ironed out.

the lesson - stop paying for shitty games that get rushed out the door because it is a brand name or you find that "oh so amazing price".

I am not able to play this game long enough to give a good game play evaluation. It crashes literally ever 10 minutes on my system. Not worth the money paid at all.

and over a month now from launch. anyone that buys this game now deserves what they get. i can't even get china rising to launch. this is the last time i give ea any of my money. absolutely pathetic. and to think i kept attempting to play it (as if i was missing out on something to begin with).

Who cares if it is $25... don't pay to beta test for them.

you know something is wrong with people when they on one hand vote ea the worst company in america while their other hand is handing them cash.

I may be an anomaly or something but the game has been flawless for me on the rig in my sig. I haven't crashed once and the only technical issue I've had is that distant sounds once cut out on me for a round.

I'm actually completely shocked at how well my 5850 has held up. I was going to upgrade for BF3 but it ran acceptably at medium/high at 1900x1200. Eying a 280X because I've had the upgrade itch for a few years now, but just being honest, the 5850 is very solid at medium settings and the game still looks great.

I pre-ordered for ~$45 and I regret nothing. Will be buying premium as soon as I see a decent deal before the next expansion drops.

Got it for 25 a few days ago. In its current state, even 35 would have been overpriced. It is simply garbage as it is now - constantly crashes and has multiple game-breaking bugs. This is with an i5-2500k, 8GB Ram, Radeon 6950 w/2GB VRAM, and an Intel 320 SSD (with bf4 installed on it). I am even running it at 1600x900 resolution at the moment due to a temporary monitor. Not having game stability problems with anything else at the moment. I bought BC2 near-release and BF3 at-release, and I never encountered problems anywhere near this bad for either one. BF4's problems are most definitely not explained by the "just released" excuse - it is in a fundamentally unfinished/broken state at the moment.

After spending 2 hours chatting with tech support from EA, I still don't have a resolution to the problem. At this point I am doing a last resort uninstall>restart>re-install to see what happens. If this doesn't work I will just ask for my money back and uninstall the game and EA from my PC.

Server crashes, and client crashing in between rounds (infrequently) are the only issues I'm having. The firefights I was in earlier tonight definitely seemed a little better after the latest patch, but DICE still has some work to do. I read on PCGamer.com earlier today that DICE is halting all other projects until they fix what ails BF4. The issues I am having don't make the game unplayable, but I can understand people's frustration at the state of the game (unplayable for some). Truth is, they released a beta for retail and didn't call it a beta. For that, they should be ashamed.

Server crashes, and client crashing in between rounds (infrequently) are the only issues I'm having. The firefights I was in earlier tonight definitely seemed a little better after the latest patch, but DICE still has some work to do. I read on PCGamer.com earlier today that DICE is halting all other projects until they fix what ails BF4. The issues I am having don't make the game unplayable, but I can understand people's frustration at the state of the game (unplayable for some). Truth is, they released a beta for retail and didn't call it a beta. For that, they should be ashamed.

You mean this article?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/4/5175588/ea-halts-battlefield-4-expansions

So EA in earnest is going to stop developing its DLC to milk more gamers as an "I'm sorry" for the shitty game launch?

Weak fucking SAUCE. Typical EA , how about offering refunds for us PC gamers that stuck with this mess? I tried to get a refund and an Origin agent flat out refused me one.

You mean this article?

So EA in earnest is going to stop developing its DLC to milk more gamers as an "I'm sorry" for the shitty game launch?

Weak fucking SAUCE. Typical EA , how about offering refunds for us PC gamers that stuck with this mess? I tried to get a refund and an Origin agent flat out refused me one.

I wonder if there will be a class action lawsuit. It may seem ridiculous, but the game shouldn't have been released.

I wonder if there will be a class action lawsuit. It may seem ridiculous, but the game shouldn't have been released.

Probably. But those are pointless , all that does if give lawyers ass tons of money and meanwhile you get a check for $5.35 in the mail 2 years from now.

The best way to send a message if you bought the game is to either refund or trade it in or not buy the DLC if you can't do either of those.

And especially do not BUY BF5 when it releases. That will give them a clear message on our frustration.

finally free of this - deleted and i'll never reinstall. after 11 years of battlefield it's fucking old already... to me anyways.

Probably. But those are pointless , all that does if give lawyers ass tons of money and meanwhile you get a check for $5.35 in the mail 2 years from now.

The best way to send a message if you bought the game is to either refund or trade it in or not buy the DLC if you can't do either of those.

And especially do not BUY BF5 when it releases. That will give them a clear message on our frustration.

If Call of Duty is any indication, it won't be until BF 6 or 7 until people stop buying it enough that they finally take notice.

When it comes to franchises like this, the whole "vote with your wallet" movement is usually a lost cause. People are going to buy it anyway. Worst case scenario they start half-assing the PC version even more and say people "are just going to pirate it" when they see lower sales numbers.

You're probably better off bombarding them with refund requests and constant tech support issues.

When it comes to franchises like this, the whole "vote with your wallet" movement is usually a lost cause. People are going to buy it anyway. Worst case scenario they start half-assing the PC version even more and say people "are just going to pirate it" when they see lower sales numbers.

You're probably better off bombarding them with refund requests and constant tech support issues.

I don't think this is true at all. Look at Blizzard's case with Diablo and the real money auction house. If they are smart and value the long term aspect of their business, they should listen to the customer. However, I think you're right, people will just keep buying anyways. I wasn't aware of the whole EA fiasco until now, and I won't be buying anything.

None of these actions would ever send a message to the developer. It only bothers the $8/hr tech support guys.

The one of the purposes of a class action is to hold an entity accountable for many small wrongs simultaneously, not necessarily to make the plaintiffs whole. If there were no class actions, companies could rip off millions of consumers for small amounts of money, and simply settle with those who cared enough to sue them as a cost of business while pocketing the rest. Class actions are the only deterrent to this form of malfeasance since you can't put a corporation in jail.

You mean this article?

This is the article I was referring to:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/04/d...s-as-it-shifts-focus-to-battlefield-4-issues/

Still, they released a game before it was truly ready. Although it works pretty well for me on my system, it's terrible for some. It's frustrating that they are messing up a great series such as Battlefield.

None of these actions would ever send a message to the developer. It only bothers the $8/hr tech support guys.

Those tech support guys at least have a path upward. The cries of "vote with your wallet!" on gaming forums never works at all. Forums are flooded with that stuff every time there's a new Call of Duty, Madden, or Halo game and they keep outselling one another time after time.
You have to at least get someone's attention and retail certainly doesn't seem to ever work.

Those tech support guys at least have a path upward. The cries of "vote with your wallet!" on gaming forums never works at all. Forums are flooded with that stuff every time there's a new Call of Duty, Madden, or Halo game and they keep outselling one another time after time.
You have to at least get someone's attention and retail certainly doesn't seem to ever work.

Getting "someone's" attention is useless if it's not the right someone.

Although it didn't take the article for me too see bf4(played it and uninstalled it) was not ready for release.

If anyone of you are on the fence now and still don't see the MANY issues with the game.. That article should tell you the state of the game.. TONS of pages here and on the battlelog forums should also help..

If you still want in.. Let someone gift it too you.. Buy it when it is only $20 or less. But for love of god.. I have nothing to gain from tell you this.. I played bf3 and still do, DO NOT spend full price on bf4.

Please don't do it..

I grabbed it up for $20 on black friday, and so far I've enjoyed it.

I was disappointed to see so many expansions planned already. It practically forces you to buy a premium account, unless you'd rather pay $20 each for them separately. And the premium accounts get to play expansions 2 weeks before you can.

I grabbed it up for $20 on black friday, and so far I've enjoyed it.

I was disappointed to see so many expansions planned already. It practically forces you to buy a premium account, unless you'd rather pay $20 each for them separately. And the premium accounts get to play expansions 2 weeks before you can.

If you still have $10 off codes left over from dpgamer.com promo or Google for them they are valid through 12/31/2013 which you can use it to purchase BF4 premium membership add-on for $39.99 ($49.99 - $10 off coupon code). Just tried an extra code on EA and it works. Sure beats the $100+ premium single bundle.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/...download/addon/battlefield-4-premium-ANW.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1qszsi/origin_mcdonalds_providing_10_coupons/

Last edited:
I bought it for $20 and I'm glad I didn't pay full retail for it. It's a fun game at that price point but I'm already a little frustrated with trying to find servers that are vanilla bf4. I don't see a filter for just regular bf4 and I get the feeling it's supposed to be that way to nag you into buying expansions or premium.

Other than that the games ok. Only other thing that bothers me is how short rush rounds can be. I spawn in, die a couple times, then the games over. It really feels like I spend more time in the waiting lobby between games than I do in game.

I'd say no, the game plays horribly if you ask me. I'm going back to playing BF3, at least I know I'll finish rounds and I don't have to worry about patches that screw it up. Luckily I didn't buy BF4, it was given to me as a gift.

Whether it's worth buying or not, I still find it hilarious when anyone from these forums labels this launch as anything but atrocious

Whether it's worth buying or not, I still find it hilarious when anyone from these forums labels this launch as anything but atrocious

Indeed. I've been through some tough game launches but this one takes the cake. That being said, I love the game anyway cause when its working its awesome.

I bought it for $30 on Black Friday and have regretted it each time I tried to play it. It even came with China Rising and still isn't worth it to me. Oh well, I've burned more on less...

Trust me, I am not a fan of the bugs (which seem to be less of a problem now), but the price of the game seems okay. Assuming the DLCs give us more vehicles/weapons to play with (otherwise they are just map packs; which are not a good deal). Just remember that BF2's expansions costs $40 total, and I think even $50 ($20-30 for Special Forces, $10 per booster pack). So assuming you bought everything at full price, you would have paid $90-100 for BF2 and $110 for BF3/4.

Except that with digital sales, PC games go on deep discount sooner, so that means it is easier to obtain the content for less in regards to BF4 than it was for BF2. BF4 has seen a low of $20 already, and Premium has been as low as $40. It will be $30-35 in the next few months.

Of all the things to complain about, Premium's price per content isn't one of them.

I bought it for $20 and I'm glad I didn't pay full retail for it. It's a fun game at that price point but I'm already a little frustrated with trying to find servers that are vanilla bf4. I don't see a filter for just regular bf4 and I get the feeling it's supposed to be that way to nag you into buying expansions or premium.

It's right there on the left side of the filter options in the server browser.

I'm having a blast and it works flawlessly on my system. Best BF game to date.

I'm having a blast and it works flawlessly on my system. Best BF game to date.

Same here, I paid $85 for both BF4 + BF4 Premium and while I wish I'd have waited a week or two since it went on sale for around $55-60 total around Black Friday, it's been worth absolutely every last penny and more.

Definitely worth it. It has no bugs for me no more server crashing for me either on windows 8.1 with SIG rig.

I don't know what other people are Iooking at but the game is visually stunning.
This game trounces BF3 IMO in gameplay and graphics. Then again I play both at 1080p ultra no fxaa and 4x msaa.

Agreed. I'm running 2560x1440 @ 110hz, I use low FXAA and no MSAA to keep above or near my refresh rate and sacrificed (oh the humanity!) effects down to high instead of ultra, but it runs almost full-time near my refresh and looks amazing to boot. Also has a whole host of gameplay improvements, much more than "enhanced bf3" as some guy was putting it, that bring it to another level above. I've rarely run into any bugs, and the rare ones I've come across basically weren't even worth remembering (OH NO MY REVIVE SCREEN DIDN'T GO AWAY UNTIL I DIED AGAIN!!!!!! SUE EA /sarcasm).

Back