Is Battlefield 4 worth buying

If you can get 200 hours out of a game you're doing pretty good.

I struggle to get 200 minutes out of the games I own.

I target $1/hour for video games. I feel that is good entertainment value, especially when you compare it to how much you spend on movies, concerts, sporting events, etc...

Not for full price, as the game is half the experience of a full game. *Points at half-assed campaign*

I like how you underlined greatly, when referring to issues as inflated by people. But then talk about having to swap servers due to rubber-banding, disconnects, and then suggest waiting a few weeks for DICE to patch it. This essentially what everyone is complaining about. No one's inflating the issues, these are the issues they are having.

Based on the internet rage abound you'd think, even if you could launch the game without overheating your PC, that every single server is constantly rubberbanding before it disconnects, steals your credit card information, kicks your dog and pisses in your bed. It's pretty standard internet-videogame-freakout fare, and I can hardly think of a major online release without it since Half Life 2.

Based on my experience, I think the issues are being greatly inflated. Since launch (again, based on my experience) I've had 2 or 3 disconnects, a number of servers with rubberbanding and a single crash. Disconnects are part of every online game I've ever played, so I anticipated them when i purchased the game. Also, each disconnect was preceeded by my clicking on the deploy button multiple times, so I don't do that anymore. I solved the rubberbanding issues by finding a new server (I'll also note that I haven't seen any rubberbanding since Saturday night). I haven't had a crash since updating to the most recent AMD beta drivers.

In my opinion, these issues aren't material or unanticipated; therefore I'm happy with my purchase, as I said in my previous post.

I like how you underlined greatly, when referring to issues as inflated by people. But then talk about having to swap servers due to rubber-banding, disconnects, and then suggest waiting a few weeks for DICE to patch it. This essentially what everyone is complaining about. No one's inflating the issues, these are the issues they are having.

The game is pretty and it is fun when you don't get disconnected, rubberband around the map, or dyng after dumping a clip into someone from point blank in the back only to have them turn around and shoot you.

The game has issues. Some of these issues existed in BF1942. They've carried a lot of crappy code forward.

To the OP: If you want to play and can deal with issues people have mentioned, get it. It's fun. If you want to wait a few weeks and save a few dollars, it will likely be on sale for $30. Maybe some of the issues will be addressed, maybe not.

Speaking generally, not just BF4, the internet inflates issues beyond what they really are and there is cases of this in this game.

People whine about hit detection and netcode, yet I still see people capable of good KDRs and win ratios. So rather than bitch about it, adapted and become better. I'm not one of them right now, but it's w/e.

Right now I dont think it's worth it, in a couple of months when most of the important bugs are fixed it's when the game will be in his best shape.

Speaking generally, not just BF4, the internet inflates issues beyond what they really are and there is cases of this in this game.

People whine about hit detection and netcode, yet I still see people capable of good KDRs and win ratios. So rather than bitch about it, adapted and become better. I'm not one of them right now, but it's w/e.

Actually, I've seen most people stating what's wrong with BF4 without inflating it. Not seeing people claim it is unplayable. Hell most if not all of the people complaining about it, want to like it, that is why they spent $50+ on buying it on release/pre-release.

As to the hit detection and netcode, it doesn't matter that my K/D ratio sucks, the fact is that BF4 has the same netcode bugs that were in BF1942. (I can't believe they've carried some of this code for 11+ years without getting some of the obvious bugs fixed.) The hit detection is off but like you said, you adapt to it, I know I am adapting to it as my K/D ratio improved significantly last night when I played between crashes.

Sorry had to include the crashes, only played for 90 minutes and crashed twice. That's more frequent than previous nights I've played. Crashes happen, they suck. The game is fun, though as I have stated in each of my posts, I'd wait for it to go on sale unless you are cool with the issues people have stated.

Nope, has Origin. Still haven't bought BF3. I wouldn't take BF4 for *free* if it came with Origin.

Let me buy my software at the store of my choosing, otherwise fuck off. EA is in competition for my gaming money with every other studio. Until I get what I want I'll spend my gaming dollars elsewhere.

Nope, has Origin. Still haven't bought BF3. I wouldn't take BF4 for *free* if it came with Origin.

Let me buy my software at the store of my choosing, otherwise fuck off. EA is in competition for my gaming money with every other studio. Until I get what I want I'll spend my gaming dollars elsewhere.

Really? lol. Get over yourself already. If I make a product, I'm going to sell it how I want, and where I want.

Me and my son played this weekend and had a blast, It's like BF3 but more polished. Have not had to many problems on our rigs except random server crashes. Don't listen to the haters, if you liked Bf3 you will love Bf4. Would I pay through EA (NO). Find a good deal on the game and squad up. HellBent88 on there and my son is Booza47. We need to get a [H] Clan Kickin . Oh and Kyle your invited to :D

I think it is worth it. For me game has been stable. Not a single crash. Plus my pings are high so normally what people are hitting is not me. I enjoy it, especially operation locker.

High ping + cramped maps + multiple pathways = Maximum trolling.

Really? lol. Get over yourself already. If I make a product, I'm going to sell it how I want, and where I want.

They can sell it however they like, I never said otherwise. However, it's my money, I'll set the expectations of what I want in exchange for my money. If they can't meet my standards then they don't get my money, period.

It freaks rocks. And it's beautiful. Spend the $59 to use your $4,000 setup properly.

Eh not really worth it, while I think some of the maps are better, it should have been a DLC for BF3 really, I'm already bored and having to force myself to even think about playing, sigh.

I think it's worth it. I'm having tons of fun, and personally for all the "I've crashed so much" going around, I only crash maybe once a day. I also do not have any other issues. No lag, frame rate issues, etc. I guess those of us that are somewhat appeased with performance aren't that verbal though...

3) For a game that tried to be realistic, the weapons upgrades/attachments make no fucking sense. A compensator decreases accuracy? A heavy barrel increases recoil? Negative, not in real life, its the opposite actually.

I'm also pretty sure there's no such thing as a fully automatic Beretta Storm / MX. Very sure. ARX, sure, but not a Storm.

What really frustrates me is the pistol caliber carbines are for me far, FAR superior to rifle caliber carbines. I can aim with precision and fire a whole magazine in controlled bursts and hit nothing but air at 50 yards, but someone with a Storm will rip off a handful of rounds and beat me every single time. The only way I can make the carbines work is in single fire mode/semi-auto and take well-timed shots.

Oh well, most video games take significant liberties with firearms and weapons.

The endless unlocks drive me batty, especially with this game since they give you so little to start with. I'm a casual player, and don't want to spend all the time grinding to get a decent rifle when some guy 3 days into the game is a level 35 and has 40 watt plasma rifles vaporizing me at every corner.

yep the unlocks are dumb but thats the way its always been.
Wait till the hacks get going big time. Generals everywhere, one shot everything.

Wepons are stupid. YEP and as they stated in bf2 its an arcade game not a simulator.

Origin is the pits, why the F do I have to reload on any join...put it in the game where it was.
Oh but this is the Origin way....yep the F up way.
Typical I hate the customer, give me money and go the F away.
Who do they think they are AT&T

I pre ordered premium and was able to play a full two maps last night Wooohooo 9 full days after release, I kept getting direct X crashes but I think/hope I fixed it by disabling Origin overly in the game properties. You think they would release a game some what polished but I think the whole series has never left Bata.

but so far it looks good and plays good but then again I was tired last night after trying to find a solution to EAs problems. The one thing that I do really like they actually found a use for farmville Err I mean Bottlelog using it as a mini map is sweet. I always found it annoying as hell to launch a game then have to launch it again through Origin then use farmville to actually get to a game..

Are there any deals on this out there yet? I know it just came about but doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm also pretty sure there's no such thing as a fully automatic Beretta Storm / MX. Very sure. ARX, sure, but not a Storm.

What really frustrates me is the pistol caliber carbines are for me far, FAR superior to rifle caliber carbines. I can aim with precision and fire a whole magazine in controlled bursts and hit nothing but air at 50 yards, but someone with a Storm will rip off a handful of rounds and beat me every single time. The only way I can make the carbines work is in single fire mode/semi-auto and take well-timed shots.

Oh well, most video games take significant liberties with firearms and weapons.

The endless unlocks drive me batty, especially with this game since they give you so little to start with. I'm a casual player, and don't want to spend all the time grinding to get a decent rifle when some guy 3 days into the game is a level 35 and has 40 watt plasma rifles vaporizing me at every corner.

There is, and some countries use it. Which is odd as it was more or less made for the civilian market. However, I find the CX4 to have absurd recoil. It is probably one of the hardest recoiling weapons in the game. Likewise with the CZ SMG (only tried it in SP) though not nearly as bad.

I find the SMGs to be rather poor overall, though wish I could use them with the medic kit for infantry only close in door maps.

Would this be more addicting than call of duty though?

It's always a personal preference between the two series. I typically play both for the campaigns, but then only exclusively play Battlefield for multiplayer. I believe it is opinion based; therefore, no real right or wrong answer. Some people prefer one over the other.

Random question about the PC version - can you remap all of the keys? I'm an arrow-key player and the beta wouldn't let me remap things like insert, home, shift, enter, etc.
Can you do that in the final version? I'm not swapping to WASD for one game.

Random question about the PC version - can you remap all of the keys? I'm an arrow-key player and the beta wouldn't let me remap things like insert, home, shift, enter, etc.

You should be able to. I only remapped "melee" and "grenade throw" to easier thumb buttons on my mouse, but you should be able to map any key however you like.

Not entirely sure about remapping those keys but you could always try doing it with something like Realmware's BF4 Settings Editor.

http://battlefield.realmware.co.uk/bf4-settings-editor/

Used their program with BF3 and now BF4. It works wonders for giving you an easy to use way of changing settings without being ingame. Just make sure when you launch BF4, you select local data when it notifies you that the cloud data and local data differ.

Not entirely sure about remapping those keys but you could always try doing it with something like Realmware's BF4 Settings Editor.

http://battlefield.realmware.co.uk/bf4-settings-editor/

Used their program with BF3 and now BF4. It works wonders for giving you an easy to use way of changing settings without being ingame. Just make sure when you launch BF4, you select local data when it notifies you that the cloud data and local data differ.

Awesome - this seems like it would do the trick either way. I've used similar programs with the Cryis games.

bottom line: if you want to pay to play a beta game plagued with issues it's worth it. if i were you i'd wait a month, maybe three, and ask the same question then. then again, if the game had zero bugs there are the other issues such as the worst team balance i've ever seen.

Last edited:
bottom line: if you want to pay to play a beta game plagued with issues it's worth it. if i were you i'd wait a month, maybe three, and ask the same question then. then again, if the game had zero bugs there are the other issues such as the worst team balance i've ever seen.
Even in it's current state, if you enjoy Battlefield, it's something to definitely look into. In the 25 or so hours I've played, I've had maybe 1 or 2 crashes and the overall performance of the game has been smooth. I think I crashed more during the single-player campaign (I know - BLASPHEMY! SP POOPOO KAKA! GROSS!) than I have playing multi.

If you want to wait, wait. If not, jump in and have some fun. Hopefully, the biggest issues will be ironed out in the coming weeks. So far, crashes seem to happen less frequently for a lot of people who were experiencing issues but they still happen occasionally.

Though, for what it's worth, I hear BF4 will be $30 on Black Friday. Might be worth waiting till then and see how it's shaping up.

If you want to wait, wait. If not, jump in and have some fun. Hopefully, the biggest issues will be ironed out in the coming weeks. So far, crashes seem to happen less frequently for a lot of people who were experiencing issues but they still happen occasionally.

Well keep in mind, most of the CTDs were server side issues in MP. I usually only get about 2-3 games in before the server dumps me.

Still a fun game though.

I absolutely love Battlefield 4.
However, the game feels more like CoD than the earlier Battlefields.
Great game however! Would buy it again in a heart beat.

I only wish more people would play the objective.
Especially those on my team. :p

im really enjoying bf4, there are the crashes, sound bugs, and rubber-banding issues, but since i starting primarily playing in 48 man servers(instead of 64) most of my issues have been solved. i still think its a great game, and worth buying.

im really enjoying bf4, there are the crashes, sound bugs, and rubber-banding issues, but since i starting primarily playing in 48 man servers(instead of 64) most of my issues have been solved. i still think its a great game, and worth buying.
Yeah, I've done the same. Seemed like all the 64 player servers I connected to were experiencing rubber-banding. Made the switch to 48 and haven't looked back.

It's fun, but god damn it's got a serious case of filling someone with a mag and then dieing.

There's something very wrong with the hit reg and/or damage model.

I absolutely love Battlefield 4.
However, the game feels more like CoD than the earlier Battlefields.
Great game however! Would buy it again in a heart beat.

I only wish more people would play the objective.
Especially those on my team. :p

This, BF has morphed into a twitch mindless run and gun game. I haven't enjoyed BF since BF2. They ruined it once they went console. I also am finding myself hating level up game play. The original games everything was available right out of the gate.

Short of it I wanted to get it but if its just more of the same I have tons of other PC games to play. X-Rebirth comes out this week. :)

Back