Is Battlefield 4 worth buying

I've been playing the last few days and have really enjoyed it. They put in a lot of small things that really make the game play well.

Tough to say. its really subjective, I personally hate EA for specific reasons. To each his own, IMO no.

From all the posts I've read about performance issues and server problems, I'd say they sold everyone a Beta.

It's a bit buggy at the moment, but if you're in the market for Battlefield 4 you should already know what you're getting into. I can't imagine many people really wondering if they should pick it up or not. Either you want a new FPS or you don't.

Yeah if you're on the fence, skip it. Atleast until it's cheaper than $30. Lots of bad press around it, and rightfully so

Is it even up there as one of the best looking games?

I honestly haven't watched one gameplay video.

Is it even up there as one of the best looking games?

I honestly haven't watched one gameplay video.

It's alright in terms of graphics, nothing great, but definitely not ugly. The enhanced version of destruction compared to Battlefield 3 is where it shines.

And like has already been said, that's pretty much it. BF4 is really just an enhanced version of BF3. But it is super buggy. I'd say I can play maybe 3-4 matches maximum before crashing/losing connection to a server (which really doesn't help with ranks).

Another issue I have is the whole battle packs & obvious upcoming micro transactions. You can tell this game was built for it. You start off with two unlocked weapons (carbine and SMG) to begin with. Want a sniper rifle to be useable? You need to play Recon for a bit. Want a shotgun? Play support until you unlock it. Then there are plenty more guns & attachments, but it's going to require an insane amount of play time (until they allow you to purchase battle packs).

It's alright in terms of graphics, nothing great, but definitely not ugly. The enhanced version of destruction compared to Battlefield 3 is where it shines.

And like has already been said, that's pretty much it. BF4 is really just an enhanced version of BF3. But it is super buggy. I'd say I can play maybe 3-4 matches maximum before crashing/losing connection to a server (which really doesn't help with ranks).

Another issue I have is the whole battle packs & obvious upcoming micro transactions. You can tell this game was built for it. You start off with two unlocked weapons (carbine and SMG) to begin with. Want a sniper rifle to be useable? You need to play Recon for a bit. Want a shotgun? Play support until you unlock it. Then there are plenty more guns & attachments, but it's going to require an insane amount of play time (until they allow you to purchase battle packs).

That's all I needed to hear. I'll stick with PS2's poor CPU optimization.

It's alright in terms of graphics, nothing great, but definitely not ugly. The enhanced version of destruction compared to Battlefield 3 is where it shines

I've only seen videos but it definitely looks better then 'nothing great'...I don't know why it's so buggy if it's basically an enhanced version of the engine from BF3...they've had 2 years to work out the bugs

Yes, it's probably worth it. No it's not worth it right now.

Wait for a month or more, after all of the major issues are solved, or at least as solved as they will ever be. Then try your luck.

Definitely worth it. It has no bugs for me no more server crashing for me either on windows 8.1 with SIG rig.

I don't know what other people are Iooking at but the game is visually stunning.
This game trounces BF3 IMO in gameplay and graphics. Then again I play both at 1080p ultra no fxaa and 4x msaa.

Our servers are crashing bad today. I am just going to campaign.

Game not worth buying until and yes if they fix this crashing shit.

ea has good refund policy so if you dont like it you can get a refund.

i didnt like it and got a refund cuz the servers are so shit.

I haven't played the BF family since BF2. I decided to pick up BF4. After a 4 days of playing, meh. It feels like a BF game. I didn't play BF3, so this comment may come off strange. If you are looking for new skins and beautified BF experience, then it's worth it. If you already suffer from BF fatigue, skip it or way until it is discounted (and it will be for the holidays). For me the biggest disappointment is that there are bugs from BF1942 that appear to still be in the code in BF4.

Yes. It's fun. As with pretty much any game release, there are some bugs here and there. From my experience, it hasn't been show stopping and the biggest bug (server crash) they have acknowledged and are working on (I haven't read today to see if they have addressed it yet but I'm sure it will be soon).

If you've ever played the previous in series, then you will enjoy BF4. The campaign is decent, but fun. But BF4 is mainly about the multiplayer - which once the crashes are fixed will be even more epic.

I believe they tried to take the best from BF3 and BF2 and put those aspects in BF4. It will provide many hours of entertainment, if you're a fan of the series.

one dimensonal inf fighting.
no depth there.
boring call of duty gameplay IMO.

I feel like I wasted $60. I really wanted to like it but I just cannot.

1) Hitboxes/bullet collision detection is all sorts of fucked up. Even in single player you can see an enemy taking cover behind a wall/box/whatever, you can see part of the person (including his head) and you shoot him but it does no damage, very annoying.

2) In multiplayer, run-n-gun shooting is too common. A person running and not aiming-down-sights will easily take out a player who is actually aiming but moving slower.

3) For a game that tried to be realistic, the weapons upgrades/attachments make no fucking sense. A compensator decreases accuracy? A heavy barrel increases recoil? Negative, not in real life, its the opposite actually.

Hit detection is somewhat glitchy in campaign. I haven't seen this in multiplayer though. It mainly occurs when you're shooting at people behind telephone poles of all things.

Multiplayer is very similar to battlefield 3, with some sweet updates. Some modifications to the classes, canted sights are fucking awesome for certain classes uses.

What lee said under his #2 is complete bullshit.

Also, lee.. compensators DO lower a weapons accuracy (over range) it slows the bullet down. A heavy barrel though does not increase "recoil". Some of the terminology is a bit off in the game.

Is it fun? Yes, but it's exactly how bf3 was when it came out. Some rubber banding issues and some horse shit crashing.

Hit detection is somewhat glitchy in campaign. I haven't seen this in multiplayer though. It mainly occurs when you're shooting at people behind telephone poles of all things.

Multiplayer is very similar to battlefield 3, with some sweet updates. Some modifications to the classes, canted sights are fucking awesome for certain classes uses.

What lee said under his #2 is complete bullshit.

Also, lee.. compensators DO lower a weapons accuracy (over range) it slows the bullet down. A heavy barrel though does not increase "recoil". Some of the terminology is a bit off in the game.

Is it fun? Yes, but it's exactly how bf3 was when it came out. Some rubber banding issues and some horse shit crashing.

I have noticed the collision detection in multiplayer as well, its just more infrequent because people dont normally stand still as long as AI.

My second point is 100% correct, try it. You will get more kills running and gunning than you will actually aiming.

Compensators do not affect accuracy unless improperly machined, they also do not slow down the bullet. I believe you are mistaking a compensator for a suppressor.

Also, another thing that is totally retarded is the ability to shoot through reinforced concrete T-Walls with small arms. :rolleyes:

I' d say give it a try. When you have a round and your team makes a feverish comeback for a close win - you can't help but throw your hands up. Now if they'd just work out all the bugs.

On the other hand from my previous comments. The things that I like:

The graphics are very good in the campaign, the detail of the characters is pretty amazing.

The vehicles are pretty fun and the performance is very very good, even with all settings maxed @ 2560x1440.

The assortment of weapons and attachments are nice, I also like the weapons that can be used by all classes.

BF used to be a hardcore PC series for me, the only games I would play & I would try tons of mods. Of course there is no more mod support and with 64 players on PS4 which I am getting I have shifted my feelings of the franchise to a casual console gaming experience.

Used to be I would skip a day off work on launch and play till my eyes hurt, when it came out on PC last week I could have got it immediately, but there isn't much draw, especially knowing you are dealing with a BF launch(ie sh!& show). After playing the beta it seems like BF3.5, and BF3 did not have the same kind of feeling as the classics. I'm really only getting it so I have a game to play on PS4 with my friends who are also buying the console. For PC if I want BF I will load up the Project Reality BF2 mod, other than that the franchise is more or less dead to me as a hardcore PC game.

1) Hitboxes/bullet collision detection is all sorts of fucked up. Even in single player you can see an enemy taking cover behind a wall/box/whatever, you can see part of the person (including his head) and you shoot him but it does no damage, very annoying.

2) In multiplayer, run-n-gun shooting is too common. A person running and not aiming-down-sights will easily take out a player who is actually aiming but moving slower.

i agree... not enjoying it very much here. not to mention i am beyond sick and tired of scout helos flying around trashing shit while getting repaired in the air - that's probably one of the dumbest things i've seen yet. overall, the game feels like, with each release, it is getting closer and closer to feeling and playing like cod with big maps and vehicles - all the absurdities certainly don't help.

It's a bit buggy at the moment, but if you're in the market for Battlefield 4 you should already know what you're getting into. I can't imagine many people really wondering if they should pick it up or not. Either you want a new FPS or you don't.

I don't think it's a matter of people wanting a new FPS, it's a matter of "is BF4 really a new FPS?"

"Nothing great"?

Tough crowd...

10587715366_f31f6095e3_o.jpg

neoenigma - Neogaf

Ps: She look cross eyed to you?

I played BF3 a lot and then switched to PlanetSide 2 because it reminds me BF2142 that I really loved. After reading that BF4 is BF3 with some small tweaks left and right I think I will stick to PS2 for it 2000 people per continent battles :)

BTW, above screenshot is amazing though :)

Makes a good Jpeg vs Png comparison.

The first one is a good screen just crappy quality.
Urge to post screenshots rising....

Overall with bf4 I say wait longer. The game is good though really could still have creases ironed out.
It is better already thought.

Edit: The one I posted from Gaf was jpeg too. A bit more lossless.
So I guess to be fair, not all jpegs are quite equal.

Last edited:
Is it worth it, that depends on your point of view

I payed for the game and premium, I'm in it for $100

Do I think its good, yes.

Do I think its fun, yes

Does it have its problems, just like BF3 did when released, yes.

No, not yet.

1-2 months from now when it will have a better chance at being stable? Yes.

3) For a game that tried to be realistic, the weapons upgrades/attachments make no fucking sense. A compensator decreases accuracy? A heavy barrel increases recoil? Negative, not in real life, its the opposite actually.

Agree on all fronts. The hitboxes and netcode are the worst I have seen in years.
me v another player, both with pings in the 30 range. in a fight in a hall. i run around cover and a full second after i am out of the line of fire, i get hit with bullets that in no way can hit me.
PC also has a level of aim assist. I sniper headshotted 3 guys on the run at +300m without even trying. No chance I hit them, but with the hitboxes....

its like BF3, but more bugs. they added lots, but it just seemed to fuck things up

Yes, I'm happy with my purchase. There are a few issues, but based on my experience, they have been greatly inflated by Internetland. I've not had any issues that I would consider the game unplayable.

If you don't want to deal with a few disconnects and occasional rubberbanding (which I've easily solved by finding another server, or just reconnecting with in the current server), wait a couple weeks for DICE to patch it. If you can take these issues in stride, it's a great game to get into.

Yes, I'm happy with my purchase. There are a few issues, but based on my experience, they have been greatly inflated by Internetland. I've not had any issues that I would consider the game unplayable.

If you don't want to deal with a few disconnects and occasional rubberbanding (which I've easily solved by finding another server, or just reconnecting with in the current server), wait a couple weeks for DICE to patch it. If you can take these issues in stride, it's a great game to get into.

I like how you underlined greatly, when referring to issues as inflated by people. But then talk about having to swap servers due to rubber-banding, disconnects, and then suggest waiting a few weeks for DICE to patch it. This essentially what everyone is complaining about. No one's inflating the issues, these are the issues they are having.

The game is pretty and it is fun when you don't get disconnected, rubberband around the map, or dyng after dumping a clip into someone from point blank in the back only to have them turn around and shoot you.

The game has issues. Some of these issues existed in BF1942. They've carried a lot of crappy code forward.

To the OP: If you want to play and can deal with issues people have mentioned, get it. It's fun. If you want to wait a few weeks and save a few dollars, it will likely be on sale for $30. Maybe some of the issues will be addressed, maybe not.

It's not that I dislike BF4 (I actually do like it), but it's not worth purchasing yet.

Here's my issue: We've reached a situation where games shouldn't be released, but are. This is not the case of an obscure bug that people found that I can forgive QA for missing. The server/client crashing is continuous, and a key component of the multiplayer. I can't even comprehend how QA could miss that. And it's not just EA that's at fault here. For example, Batman Arkham Origins with one of their patches, the Bane boss battle caused a glitch that made the fight unplayable. Now, some companies are just using a stupid marketing tactic to get around all the negative press of releasing a broken game by calling it "Pre-release" (if I can buy it now and play it now, it's not a pre-release as it's been released imo). Buy the game now before it's official release in 2525, but be prepared that there will be bugs, and we're not responsible, but you still owe us the money now. We as a community use to call a game in this state betas.

If you were bored of BF3 at any time you will be bored of BF4. I had BF3 boredom after about 200 hours. I made it 5 hours into BF4. Same old shit...except even more buggy.

If you can get 200 hours out of a game you're doing pretty good.

I struggle to get 200 minutes out of the games I own.

Back