Is ATX 3.0...

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Needed?

Or:

Optional?

The reason is because I have a RTX 4080 coming my way, and I'm making assessment if it is one or the other.

FYI: I have an EVGA 1000W 80+ Platinum now, but it's been at least two or three years old.

TIA for your opinions or suggestions/recommendations.

I couldn't wait for an ATX 3.0/PCIE 5.0 PSU last year so I went ahead and got a Seasonic TX-1000 instead. The company sent me a free 12VHPWR to 2x 8-pin cable at my request. It works perfectly fine.

FWIW, I initially used the Nvidia 12VHPWR to x3 8-pin adapter while waiting for the Seasonic cable and I didn't have issues with that either.

I was on the fence to buy ATX 3.0 + PCIE 5.0 compatible PSU (was looking for FSP Hydro G Pro 850w or 1000w and ready to trigger the buy button), even though my rig is only i5 2500k + gtx 750ti. The cost for 850w is ~$154 here in my region and comes with 10 years warranty.

However when I was about to buy it, I came across Corsair HX 850 Platinum 2nd hand, and the seller only used it from March 2022 (so it still has 9 year warranty left). I negotiated and got it for a mere ~$82, LOL.

To OP: just stay with your current PSU, it's 1000W Platinum unit and I bet it has loooong warranty. You can always use the 12VHPWR adapter for rtx 4000.

To OP: just stay with your current PSU, it's 1000W Platinum unit and I bet it has loooong warranty. You can always use the 12VHPWR adapter for rtx 4000.
The adapter doesn't communicate between the GPU and PSU, though, right?

You don’t need it. I was running a 4090 on a 750 watt PSU up until about two hours ago when I swapped it for an ATX 3.0 1200watt Seasonic. No difference in performance or power consumption. The only advantage for me personally was I had a lot of coil whine before and now have none.

Well sorta, it does...the newer connector has an additional 4 sense pins on the side that should be able to communicate between the GPU and PSU to better manage power.
He’s talking about using an adapter, not a native 12vhpwr connection straight to the PSU.

I just received my ss vertex 1000w today. Ive noticed that in some of my games CPU and GPU utilization was low (5900x/4090). Ive never owned a flagship GPU so im not sure if this sort of hardware is powerful enough to show game engine inefficiencies or I have some other nonsense going on. I wanted to upgrade my PSU anyway since its a 850w gold and the 4x 8-pin is kinda obnoxious. Im sure my PSU isnt causing this, its just probably shit optimised games...but ill report back with findings for funsies.

If anyone wants me to test something specifically lmk

Well sorta, it does...the newer connector has an additional 4 sense pins on the side that should be able to communicate between the GPU and PSU to better manage power.

What exactly does that do?

My understanding is they are sense pins that tell the GPU if it can draw 450 watts or up to 600 watts.
They actually let it know 150, 300, 450, or 600. There are 4 configurations the pins can be in as each can be grounded or open, and those indicate the various power levels. Both open (as in not connected) indicated 150 watts so if there was a fault with the pins or they weren't present, it would only draw 150, both grounded indicate 600 watts.

As a practical matter I'm not sure we'll see PSUs that would only support 150 watts on it because, why, but the spec allows for those 4 power levels and the pins tell you which the max is.

Back