Is Apple actually attempting to make the iPhone 14 repairable?

lol, no. they're faking it to get the eu to shut up about repairability. its still a pita and all the components are serialized, you cant change a single component without it freaking out. i guess it MIGHT make it easier for repair shops.

lol, no. they're faking it to get the eu to shut up about repairability. its still a pita and all the components are serialized, you cant change a single component without it freaking out. i guess it MIGHT make it easier for repair shops.
Yeah. If anything, this is to make *Apple*'s job easier repairing the phone.

I do like those board pictures. Someone spent a lot of time cramming those components in so densely.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/64865/iphone-14-teardown

the ifixit teardown guide is unsettling, I am used to these things basically being throw-away devices the idea I might have to actually attempt repairing them in the future bothers me.
Don't worry, Apple are still assholes about repairability. While the phone is more easily torn apart and more modular, the ability to actually get parts to do this is much more difficult. Hugh Jeffreys bought two iPhone 14's and then swapped the parts only to find that a lot of stuff didn't work. The parts are software locked to the phone, so you need special software that only Apple has in order to actually repair these devices. Also ifixit gave the iPhone 14 a 7 out of 10 for repairability, while ifixit gives Samsung phones a much lower score like around 3 to 4 despite also being modular while using philip screws that are all the same size, and not software locking your new replacement parts. ifixit wouldn't be a resource I'd use other than to get a good laugh. ifixit giving it such a high score is just them proving that Apple can buy anything with their money.

appholes.jpg

Back