Is anything better than corsair XL?

Fryguy8

[H]ard|Gawd
Seems like corsair XL is THE way to go for high-end systems, along with possibly OCZ memory.

Any opinions/people who think the corsair XL isn't the best available?

as far as tight timings go there isnt must better than XMS unless OCZ or someone else has made it.

however there are some people hitting 250mhz or so with the XMS 2225 stuff...which is wicked...Ill be trying that higher later on

Liam said:
BH-5 is better, isnt it? Its just very hard to get it.

Not really. BH-5 is a mediocre memory at best UNTIL you increase the voltage to 2.9 or above, then it becomes a fairly fast meory :p

Fryguy...what's your defenition of best? if I were to give you a memory with 3-4-4-6 timings that gave you 10-20% higher FPS in your games, then would you say that it's the best rather then the XL? or if the XL calculated the speed limite of sex in .05 seconds faster, would you call it the best?

You tell us what you want to get out of your memory and I'm sure people can tell you what is the best memory FOR YOU :)

Also this article here talks about the corsair XL and compares it to other top memorys out there to figure out if indeed the 2-2-2-5 timings give you the best performance or not.

After that you can read this article where they show you what the fastest memory on the market is for DDR. what does fast mean? I'll tell you when you tell me what does "best" mean :p

hrmm, I just assumed fastest meant "lowest latency at highest frequency" Can someone give me an example of when this isn't true?

Although at this point I think I'm going to just save money and get corsair LL or something, as I'm saving money by going socket754 instead of socket939, so blah :(

The OCZ EB will do better timings than the Corsair XL at higher speeds (250+). So yes there are memory that are better. BH-5 still is king though, IMO.

So OCZ EB is good, any others that deserve mention?

And is XL/EB/bh-5 even worth it if I'm making the sacrifice to run a 754 board, and the next upgrade I do will probably have me doing DDR2/3?

Am I the only one who remembers OCZ's history? I don't care if they're fastest, I will not support them.

EngenZerO said:
there is always mushkin 222 special.
...yes indeed. Mushkin Level One (PC3500 @ 2-2-3) is what's going in my new Prescott rig..... :cool:

superjohnny said:
Am I the only one who remembers OCZ's history? I don't care if they're fastest, I will not support them.
OCZ has a customer support guy that frequents this forum, and he's been very generous with his support offers. Got to say....sure looks like they are trying, but time of course will tell the tale. Unfortunately, it usually takes more than one really good guy to turn a company around...... :rolleyes:

Rock On - B.B.S.

Regarding the Muskin memory-

What would be a better performer-

PC3200 (2x512MB) Level 1 with 2-3-2

or

PC4000 (2x512MB) with 3-4-4 (if I'm reading this PDF correctly.)

Overclocked and Not Overclocked

ycchan said:
Geil = bleh
...yeah, not really helpful, there, ycchan, though not far from my feelings..... :rolleyes:

If you search some forums and read up a little, you'll most often find comments that Geil is usually a very hit or miss proposition. That is, some guys get sticks that OC like a god, and some guys get sticks that hang the PC on boot. And, even when up and running, the performance numbers really seem to vary from user to user....a lot. Not sure what the real issues are, but the feedback from users on that brand are typically very hit and miss.

You can buy a ton less risk for about the same investment....... :cool:

JMHO - YMMV - ABCD - etc...... :D

PS: Just got my two 512 MB sticks of Mushkin Level One PC3500 (2-3-3) for my new Prescott rig. That's my "pocketbook vote" FWIW.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Back