Is anyone here actually buying the inflated 290(x) custom cards?

I'm just going to say it.

This mining thing has absolutely, 100%, unequivocally ruined my Christmas and holidays and I'm pissed about it. You have a point about performance equaling the price point now but I will never ever never fucking ever pay over MSRP. Even if it means going green.

That is all.

I understand where you are coming from, but lets face it, even those paying more than MSRP are more than likely going to break even after a month or two of mining. There is definitely incentive. Even if you bought a 290/290x over retail, gamed with it and mined in the off hours, you will most likely have the card paid off and turn a profit after 3-4 months.

I don't like paying over msrp either, but until AMD's increased gpu production is felt in the channel, not much to do about it.

Still, having cards pay for themselves helps quite a bit, interesting how things evolve sometimes.

Masterpass expires on December 31st.
Time to start spamming F5. :p

I find Ctrl + R works better
I don't like paying over msrp either, but until AMD's increased gpu production is felt in the channel, not much to do about it.

Still, having cards pay for themselves helps quite a bit, interesting how things evolve sometimes.

The supply is there, no one could have expected huge volumes of these going off the self because of a mining craze. Hopefully the prices start to go back down once the retailers get a larger stock, and people don''t buy the cards at over MSRP prices.

I will not pay over MSRP. I paid 438$ with overnight shipping. On a Asus R9-290. I ordered on December 12th, so well past the point where places like NewEgg started charging 499+ for them. If you look around you can still find them at MSRP, just they are rarely in stock.

clearly not a supply and demand issue as like I said before there's plenty on the shelf to be found. Newegg has 3/4 of the 290X varients in stock right now and almost all 290's. If you want one at an inflated price, you could order from a huge selection right now and the selection keeps growing. Still won't see a dime from me until prices drop and by then with maxwell rumoured to be out in a month or two I'd rather just wait now. :(

clearly not a supply and demand issue as like I said before there's plenty on the shelf to be found. Newegg has 3/4 of the 290X varients in stock right now and almost all 290's. If you want one at an inflated price, you could order from a huge selection right now and the selection keeps growing. Still won't see a dime from me until prices drop and by then with maxwell rumoured to be out in a month or two I'd rather just wait now. :(

As a mostly team-red guy I feel the same way. If prices don't come down soon I'll just wait ~3 more months for maxwell.

the funny thing is the reference coolers are far better for mining since they actually kick the heat OUTWARD instead of towards the card in front of it.... I actually want the blower wheels

I'm just going to say it.

This mining thing has absolutely, 100%, unequivocally ruined my Christmas and holidays and I'm pissed about it. You have a point about performance equaling the price point now but I will never ever never fucking ever pay over MSRP. Even if it means going green.

That is all.

I've said this before i someone else's thread -- but if your holidays were ruined because you didn't get a THING for a certain PRICE. Well I feel pretty damn sorry for you and the general way your life is heading.

Not trying to insult you by any means, but it's increasingly rare to see anyone who's just happy to have some time off to spend with family. I'm very glad I got to go home and spend 2 days with my parents and just have some good home cooked food. Saying that the holidays were ruined because they (or I) didn't run out and blow money for something I don't need... that's just wrong.

the funny thing is the reference coolers are far better for mining since they actually kick the heat OUTWARD instead of towards the card in front of it.... I actually want the blower wheels

Yup -- 4 of my 6 mining cards are blower style units and they are exceedingly efficient. Yes, they are louder than the aftermarket solutions it doesn't bother me.

the two 7970s i have mining in my living room PC are the after market silent style coolers, I just run it with the case side off and an extra fan pointing in.

Right now - even though we don't get super cold here in north texas (relative to the rest of the US) i love the fact my room will be nice and toasty when I don't even have the heat on in the entire house and it's 30F outside.

Yup -- 4 of my 6 mining cards are blower style units and they are exceedingly efficient. Yes, they are louder than the aftermarket solutions it doesn't bother me.

the two 7970s i have mining in my living room PC are the after market silent style coolers, I just run it with the case side off and an extra fan pointing in.

Right now - even though we don't get super cold here in north texas (relative to the rest of the US) i love the fact my room will be nice and toasty when I don't even have the heat on in the entire house and it's 30F outside.

my basement is 90 right now.... the floor above it is 72 with 2 windows open but it is 40 out right now. My house stays at 70 with just the furnace fan blowing when it drops down to 10 outside

Which blowers? HIS made some GREAT ones for the 7xxx series (79xx ofc for mining). They overclocked great too!

I learned long ago not to wait as things always affect prices and I bought early and payed below MSRP for my 290..

Which blowers? HIS made some GREAT ones for the 7xxx series (79xx ofc for mining). They overclocked great too!

wait, there's more blower styles than the reference like all of the reference 290's use? I have a couple early 7970's using blowers and love them but none of my R9 280x's have the blower... third party coolers are horrible for mining. Nothing worse than the asus

I will not pay more than the msrp so I am going to wait it out. I am sure there are idiots out there that shelled extra money because they WANT IT NOW. If you need it its a different story, aka your card broke and you need a new one.

AMD, if only they knew this was gonna happen they could have profited big time.

Meanwhile I will keep waiting for the gigabyte 290 windforce and hope it will come in the next month. If it doesnt then I might just wait for maxwell cards.

I mostly play battlefield 4 and it plays fine on my 670 at high settings on a 30in which is everything I need. The only other games I play are indies.

I will not pay more than the msrp so I am going to wait it out.
Isn't there a possibility that LTC will stay marginally profitable for the extended future, so the cards will ALWAYS be above msrp? I mean how long are we talking here... 6 months? 1 year?

AMD might become synonymous with crypto mining. Gaming @ MSRP might be impossible with them.

Newegg has had the Windforce 290 for a week at $579.

I understand where you are coming from, but lets face it, even those paying more than MSRP are more than likely going to break even after a month or two of mining. There is definitely incentive. Even if you bought a 290/290x over retail, gamed with it and mined in the off hours, you will most likely have the card paid off and turn a profit after 3-4 months.

Some of us, like Wrangler and I, don't care at all about mining.

I have a HIS 7870 with the same cooler and even applying my own thermal grease didn't help it. The blower style fans don't push enough air. they get loud too quickly and my max temps in games went over 70C.

I tore off the shroud and the blower fan. Zip tied two 80mm case fans to the top of the heatsink. Average temps in game are 10c lower, half the noise.

It has always been my experience that blower fans are worse.

I will not pay more than the msrp so I am going to wait it out. I am sure there are idiots out there that shelled extra money because they WANT IT NOW. If you need it its a different story, aka your card broke and you need a new one.

AMD, if only they knew this was gonna happen they could have profited big time.

Meanwhile I will keep waiting for the gigabyte 290 windforce and hope it will come in the next month. If it doesnt then I might just wait for maxwell cards.

I mostly play battlefield 4 and it plays fine on my 670 at high settings on a 30in which is everything I need. The only other games I play are indies.

Well everyone has an opinion.I bought some cards way over MSRP cause I wanted to.

These are exciting times for AMD again,there is just no better deal then these overpriced AMD cards.
Yeah some are 200 bucks over MSRP,but so what,if you can game on them,do some mining then guess what the cards will be free in a few months.

How can anyone beat free cards.
Nvidia have good cards but just can not compete with AMD cards JMO, its a no brainer to buy AMD right now and in the future when you can get AMD cards for little to nothing on your investment in a few months.

I wonder why no one makes a replacement performance blower fan. It would be cheap and easy to install, and I can't believe the oem fan pushes the most air quietly as an aftermarket design might.

Some of us, like Wrangler and I, don't care at all about mining.

...and that's fine, but it won't change the fact that the cards will continue to sell at inflated prices because they will be free to the buyer in no time.

I have a HIS 7870 with the same cooler and even applying my own thermal grease didn't help it. The blower style fans don't push enough air. they get loud too quickly and my max temps in games went over 70C.

I tore off the shroud and the blower fan. Zip tied two 80mm case fans to the top of the heatsink. Average temps in game are 10c lower, half the noise.

It has always been my experience that blower fans are worse.

The reviews of them I saw had the 7970 and 7950 65 degrees or below.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-10.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_hd_7950_iceq_turbo_review,8.html
http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/his-7950-iceq-turbo/17/

And more.

Well everyone has an opinion.I bought some cards way over MSRP cause I wanted to.

These are exciting times for AMD again,there is just no better deal then these overpriced AMD cards.
Yeah some are 200 bucks over MSRP,but so what,if you can game on them,do some mining then guess what the cards will be free in a few months.

How can anyone beat free cards.
Nvidia have good cards but just can not compete with AMD cards JMO, its a no brainer to buy AMD right now and in the future when you can get AMD cards for little to nothing on your investment in a few months.

well not everyone mines, also if you pay electricity you are not making that much money. Not to mention who knows what will happen to LTC or BTC, its not that easy to get your money out. Your hardware also devalues and will last less. Not saying that you not gonna get your cards for free but most people arent.

My problem with paying more for the cards is out of princely, I am not going to give new egg that money, to me they are being scumbags. Also I would never buy a 290 for $600, I would rather drop $100 and get a 780ti, for gaming it is the supperior card at that price point. For $400 you cannot beat AMD right now though and I guess if you want it for mining you cant either.

Also this could be a good time for AMD if they had the cards on hand but they dont. No wonder AMD stock is stuck at shitty low numbers even after they are providing cards for all the next gen consoles and apparently selling out of cards because of the LTC craze.

...and that's fine, but it won't change the fact that the cards will continue to sell at inflated prices because they will be free to the buyer in no time.

Free. In like a year at current difficulties. If you mine 24/7 with a 290. Which of course means you aren't gaming. And that becomes a job in and of itself in regularly checking your PC to ensure it hasn't crashed, keeping up with the latest alt coins, etc. Not to mention the volatile nature of Dogecoin right now. Anyone stating these cards pay for themselves in a month is flat out lying. I do see a lot of newly registered posters stating that, for some odd reason.

Free. In like a year at current difficulties. If you mine 24/7 with a 290. Which of course means you aren't gaming. And that becomes a job in and of itself in regularly checking your PC to ensure it hasn't crashed, keeping up with the latest alt coins, etc. Not to mention the volatile nature of Dogecoin right now. Anyone stating these cards pay for themselves in a month is flat out lying. I do see a lot of newly registered posters stating that, for some odd reason.

They are probably trying to justify their $500+ 290s they bought during the bubble 3 weeks ago.

I did not say a month, re-read my post. I said a few months. Even at a conservative 750kh/s and 500w total PC wattage at the wall at $0.11/kw, you are looking at $135, $130, $150, and $225/mo for mining litecoin, worldcoin, feathercoin, or dogecoin. Obviously difficulty will vary as will prices, but it does not change the fact that even with electricity, altcoins will allow someone to pay off their card (whether inflated or not) in a few months time. If the argument is paying beyond MSRP, mine long enough to cover the difference in the higher price. It's not rocketscience. If you do not like mining, so be it. Yes, this is 24/7 mining, but you could easily mine in the hours you are not gaming (be you gaming 12+ hours a day which is unlikely).

My AMD cards are free and will make me money for doing nothing.My high end NVIDIA cards never gave me this option ever.

For those who keep on saying NVIDIA is better ,you are Blind and a fool for believing NVIDIA hype of any kind.ITs a fucking GPU,but if it can make you any kind of money back it is the better choice bar none.

I did not say a month, re-read my post. I said a few months. Even at a conservative 750kh/s and 500w total PC wattage at the wall at $0.11/kw, you are looking at $135, $130, $150, and $225/mo for mining litecoin, worldcoin, feathercoin, or dogecoin. Obviously difficulty will vary as will prices, but it does not change the fact that even with electricity, altcoins will allow someone to pay off their card (whether inflated or not) in a few months time. If the argument is paying beyond MSRP, mine long enough to cover the difference in the higher price. It's not rocketscience. If you do not like mining, so be it. Yes, this is 24/7 mining, but you could easily mine in the hours you are not gaming (be you gaming 12+ hours a day which is unlikely).

Normal people are cautious, whereas AMD stockholders and shills basically talk down the risks in an attempt to get people to pay inflated prices for AMD cards. They do not talk about fluctuations in price, exchange rate, difficulty, and risk of coins tanking. They have no long-term memory about how bitcoin prices are at historic highs right now whereas they were only $100 just a few months ago, and how bitcoin can just as easily crash back to earth as go up or remain stable. If bitcoin goes down, all other coins will get dragged down with it just like they were dragged UP with bitcoin when bitcoin went up. Shills do not talk about how Nvidia's refresh (Maxwell) is 2-3 months away and how if they perform well, they may drive down prices (and resale values) of existing cards.

There are lots of people with conflicts of interest on forums who don't disclose them and I'm sick of it. I'm an AMD fan but want the company to do well for the right reasons, not because shills shill all day and night for AMD on forums. I know all about AMD's current and ongoing "influencer" rankings and viral marketing efforts, and I don't like it one bit.

Normal people are cautious, whereas AMD stockholders and shills basically talk down the risks in an attempt to get people to pay inflated prices for AMD cards. They do not talk about fluctuations in price, exchange rate, difficulty, and risk of coins tanking. They have no long-term memory about how bitcoin prices are at historic highs right now whereas they were only $100 just a few months ago, and how bitcoin can just as easily crash back to earth as go up or remain stable. If bitcoin goes down, all other coins will get dragged down with it just like they were dragged UP with bitcoin when bitcoin went up. Shills do not talk about how Nvidia's refresh (Maxwell) is 2-3 months away and how if they perform well, they may drive down prices (and resale values) of existing cards.

There are lots of people with conflicts of interest on forums who don't disclose them and I'm sick of it. I'm an AMD fan but want the company to do well for the right reasons, not because shills shill all day and night for AMD on forums. I know all about AMD's current and ongoing "influencer" rankings and viral marketing efforts, and I don't like it one bit.

So because I am pro mining I am automatically having some hidden agenda. Give me a fucking break. :rolleyes:

Yes, nVidia has maxwell, but so far, and this is speaking from how all nVidia cards perform, they will not offering anything exciting in terms of mining. If you are a hardcore gamer, perhaps nVidia is the way to go--especially given the shortage and inflation of existing prices for AMD cards. If, however, you want to ride the crypto train as long as it is still in the station and make some money, then who are you, or anyone for that matter, to judge?

Also, even with me being pro mining, it does not change the fact that my previous posts do account for assumptions based on current conditions. Unless you have some sort of crystal ball I do not know of, I can only assume a level of profitability going forward. I don't think crypto is magically going to go bust. Dogecoin, sure, and all the other shit alts out there, but as a potential asset class in the future, no.

You are the shill because you are constantly talking about the inflated prices. nobody here is stupid enough to pay that. I built mine thanks to Amazon with cards at MSRP and what I had from way earlier mining like 6950's which gave me the money to buy a nice stack of 280x's I also keep watching amazon and placing orders as more come in stock @ MSRP it's a no brainer. Things like DOGE allowed me to pay off some cards really early.

Factoring in power and everything it is still completely worth building some rigs as long as you can keep them cool enough which is air flow and SPACING. I still have a window wide open at the end of December in MICHIGAN plus the furnace fan blowing heat upstairs and keeping my house above 70 degrees. When it gets really cold out I close the window and just blow the heat upstairs.

The other key is don't be STUPID with your building costs. I've bought quite a few complete systems for $100 or less for my 2 cards per rig setups.

You are the shill because you are constantly talking about the inflated prices. nobody here is stupid enough to pay that. I built mine thanks to Amazon with cards at MSRP and what I had from way earlier mining like 6950's which gave me the money to buy a nice stack of 280x's I also keep watching amazon and placing orders as more come in stock @ MSRP it's a no brainer. Things like DOGE allowed me to pay off some cards really early.

Factoring in power and everything it is still completely worth building some rigs as long as you can keep them cool enough which is air flow and SPACING. I still have a window wide open at the end of December in MICHIGAN plus the furnace fan blowing heat upstairs and keeping my house above 70 degrees. When it gets really cold out I close the window and just blow the heat upstairs.

The other key is don't be STUPID with your building costs. I've bought quite a few complete systems for $100 or less for my 2 cards per rig setups.

If you aren't encouraging people to pay inflated prices using idiotic arguments, then I'm not talking to you or people like you, so get off your high horse. My god you sound defensive; do you have something to hide? If not, stfu, because I wasn't talking to you and your pathetic attempt to insult me impresses nobody. AMD has shills, some are caught but many are not. http://northamericaninfluencer.amd.com/Leaderboard/View/1 That's not even counting the non-viral-marketer people like employees and shareholders. FACT. Once again, if you aren't trying to justify inflated prices using ludicrous arguments, I'm not talking about you, I was agreeing with xoleras's observation that there are relatively new posters encouraging stupidity lately and you'd have to be blind to not know why.

Last edited:
well not everyone mines, also if you pay electricity you are not making that much money. Not to mention who knows what will happen to LTC or BTC, its not that easy to get your money out. Your hardware also devalues and will last less. Not saying that you not gonna get your cards for free but most people arent.

My problem with paying more for the cards is out of princely, I am not going to give new egg that money, to me they are being scumbags. Also I would never buy a 290 for $600, I would rather drop $100 and get a 780ti, for gaming it is the supperior card at that price point. For $400 you cannot beat AMD right now though and I guess if you want it for mining you cant either.

Also this could be a good time for AMD if they had the cards on hand but they dont. No wonder AMD stock is stuck at shitty low numbers even after they are providing cards for all the next gen consoles and apparently selling out of cards because of the LTC craze.

I pay 3 dollars in electricity every day just for my mining rigs -- net profit per day is $40. So if someone came along and put 40 dollars into your pocket every 24 hours, you'd just scoff and say that's not a lot of money?

I do applaud you if you resist and "wait it out" - good for you for sticking to your guns but that doesn't give you a free pass to talk shit about a company you know nothing about.

If AMD knew there was going to be a LTC mining craze, they would have bumped up orders from the fab (or even expanded production lines to meet the need and rake in all the money that's flying around right now). You can't just call up the fab and say "we need to expand production 300%, it doesn't work that way.

Fact is NOBODY could have predicted the huge jump in scrypt mining profitability, otherwise you would have seen me emptying my bank account and buying about 40 290s to resell at crazy profit.

You are right though -- btc/ltc/whatever could crash next week. Guess what I would do? I'd hold my coins, and keep mining my ass off. Because there are booms and busts, people who think they can jump in and be a millionaire in 6 weeks... doesn't work that way. If a crash happened, we'd see a flood of cheap AMD hardware on the market from the people too stupid to see the long run and wait for the next boom. if there is one thing BTC has shown, it's that it's quite resilient.

Edit (addition) the best analogy I could possibly think of for this whole AMD/nvidia price thing as it relates to mining. If you want to buy a Ferrari (representative of either AMD or nvidia) -- it's going to be a lot of money no matter which route you choose. If you tell the Ferrari salesman you never plan on going above 70mph (not mining bitcoins) so why should you pay the market price, he's going to laugh at you because it's still a fucking Ferrari no matter if you use it to it's full potential or not. Pay market price, or play the waiting game it's really pretty easy. The only difference in the tech world is if you buy the Red ferrari vs the green ferrari... the red one shoots free money out of it's exhaust pipe.

Last edited:
So you earn 1120$ through mining every month on 2x 290. Yeah i'll go ahead and call bullshit on that one. :rolleyes:

So you earn 1120$ through mining every month on 2x 290. Yeah i'll go ahead and call bullshit on that one. :rolleyes:

Failing to read? Mining Rigs

Also if you mine smart and trade smart that's actually pretty easy to do.

The prices were always "inflated". You need third party cooling ($80-100 or more) to even begin to game with these beasts. You may as well get a 780 you can overclock...it's cheaper.

What?

I can game just fine on my reference 290X.

go find some of my other posts -- I run 6 cards, 4 of which mine 24/7 the others are mining 90% of the time. Go plug 4000kHash/sec into any of the top profitable coin calculator (DOGE, WDC, SXC are the more stable of them that i see - you probably don't understand or care though)

Also - what sort of fucked up electric rate would I have to have where running two 290s would cost me 3 dollars a day?

I pay 8.5 cents per kW/h here in texas - electricity is cheap, and I love making money doing nothing. I don't do the day trading thing because I suck at it, my profits come from simply letting the miners do the work, and selling when I feel the time is right.

I've seen your posts xoleras -- they reek of negativity. If there were just 1 or 2 people running around claiming to make bank mining coins... sure I'd be skeptical too, fact is however there are thousands of people doing it. I'm one of them. Maybe you don't enjoy reading/experimenting/tinkering/learning new things but a lot of us here do, and we are making cash off it.

One of your arguments is how it's a job in and of itself to check on the mining rigs? If this was truly the case you must have built a shit system, or have it configured improperly. My living room miner, and my laundry basket rig have been running 24/7 for over a month at this point. The hash rates show up as active and report their stats automatically, they email me if they ever go down (hint: they haven't gone down once all month) if I want to do some gaming, I click the big red "X" in my cgminer window, and then go blast away in BF4. How is any of this hard enough to be able to call "work".

Lol @ pro miner... You have no idea what pro mining is and probably clueless the thousands of data centers filled with boxes that are pro mining for the data center owners lol.

I want to see proof of your $40/day profit.

I just put my unlocked 6950 up for sale and I tell everybody lowballing me that I should theoretically be able to ask ANY price because eventually, it will pay for itself.
Much fun.

I just put my unlocked 6950 up for sale and I tell everybody lowballing me that I should theoretically be able to ask ANY price because eventually, it will pay for itself.
Much fun.

Lol so what offers are they giving you? I'm about to put these pos gigabyte 280xs up on the block myself.

Back