Is anyone folding with CentOS on their 4p?

jimh425

Gawd
I'm thinking about switching to CentOS for my folding OS because it has better KVM support compared to Ubuntu. Has anyone tried folding with CentOS on their 4p? Good results or bad?

Not sure about CentOS specifically, but I think a few people use some red hat variant and do just fine.

Yep - CentOS will be fine for folding. I doubt my install script will work for you, although it might.

all of my boxen in the history of my folding have used CentOS, RHEL or OEL from 1P to 4P systems.

My question is what do you hope to gain from going with KVM virtualization?

Yep - CentOS will be fine for folding. I doubt my install script will work for you, although it might.

It was pointed out to me that my script has no chance of working on non-Debian-based distros. You will need to set up fah manually with CentOS. If you are considering CentOS to begin with, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

huh...better kvm support? How so?

There are appliances such as BIG-IPs that ship as VE that are supported on CentOS, but not supported on Ubuntu KVM. Taking a quick look, the biggest difference is disk format types that make setting up those appliances more difficult. I can't say it is impossible.

I wanted to get a feel for whether I should take more time to investigate getting them to run on Ubuntu, or should I install CentOS and work on getting folding working. :)

I use CentOS 6.3 on my 4P (running Bigadv of course).

I have also run CentOS 6.2 and 5.7 and Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop (2D Mode) and Server no GUI.

All EXCEPT 6.2 got about the same TPF. That one had some strange scheduler bug that refused to use all cores. Even with Kraken performance was bad. I never figured out what was wrong (but 6.3 fixed it, so who cares).

V6 and V7 both run fine on 6.3. No real difficulties, but if you run into any problems I or someone can help.

You do need to disable write barriers. There was an convenient script (I think from tear?) floating around that does this automatically.

Otherwise, everything was pretty normal and straightforward. Oh, and I run CentOS so that I can run ANSYS on the computer when needed (not much recently though).

whats wrong with RHEL? and OEL is esentially a re-baded RHEL distro with a few minor tweaks and changes

I live entirely in the CLI so maybe gui folks don't like them.

whats wrong with RHEL? and OEL is esentially a re-baded RHEL distro with a few minor tweaks and changes

I live entirely in the CLI so maybe gui folks don't like them.

When you do driver support... re-badges suck...
Because they tend to claim binary compatibility then they move shit...

When you do driver support... re-badges suck...
Because they tend to claim binary compatibility then they move shit...

true, just got a real fun taste of that the other day with an LSI Raid driver. RHEL = this package over here and done... OEL well maybe it's this package if you have X kernel or maybe not, or maybe it is and the OS just doesn't like it anyway b/c its OEL so you have to kick it in the nards first...then install with nodeps, then maybe or maybe not you'll need to install this other package as well, but maybe not but maybe so b/c it's OEL and nobody knows WTF is going on with the big red O, including the big red O

Back