Is anyone else worried The Outer Worlds will be disappointing?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
Real RPGs are becoming more scarce by the year. What is a "real RPG," you don't ask? Generally it's a series of complex gameplay systems wrapped in a long and involving narrative with tons of well-written dialogue, NPCs posessing unique personalities, and shitloads of completely useless trivia called lore. Basically the exact opposite of Borderlands, Destiny, The Division, or any game that makes loot not only the top priority but the only one.

But back to the subject of the thread: The Outer Worlds. The videos make it look like Fallout 4 with worse facial animations and motion blur ramped up to "vaseline on the lens" levels. It's Obsidian so of course it's going to be buggy and chuggy, but what about the actual story and battle system? I love skill trees and the creative freedom they offer in building your character, but I have this nagging fear that TOW's combat will be simplified to the lowest common denominator, with either a limited set of static skills, or worse, one skill for LMB and one skill for RMB that you upgrade as you progress.

Who else is super excited for The Outer Worlds but is still going to wait for reviews before purchasing?

I'll be getting it free (sorta) with Xbox Game Pass, so I'll be playing it day one. However, I am a bit apprehensive about it. My concern is it will feel rushed or unfinished - from what I understand, MS bought out Obsidian mid-development of this game, and while MS has said they plan on letting Obsidian release the finished product, I can't help but feel there's still pressure for Obsidian to be finished it and move onto their next, MS-platform exclusive project.

I'm actually getting it free (free 3 months game pass for AMD), so I'll definitely be checking it out but I don't have high hopes.

Im expecting new vegas in space. As long as I get that or better I will be happy.

I'm definitely waiting for reviews. They're using UE4 so I expect it to be a lot less buggy and a huge performance improvement compared to Fallout. But I'm sure there will still be plenty of issues.

I'm not really worried about the technical stuff, just the gameplay.

I will be waiting for reviews as well, but honestly I have so many fucking games in my backlog it really isn't on my radar that much. Only RPG I am looking forward to right now is Cyberpunk 2077.

it's definitely a game that's not getting much pre-release attention...considering that it's an Obsidion game I was expecting more hype...but maybe it'll surprise everyone and be a great game

"RPG" has to be the worst game genre description. Role Playing Game? In every game you play a role. That aside sadly the good part of RPGs, the story aspects, are generally thrown aside for more of the pointless upgrading and collecting bits. Mass Effect was only half RPG but it had the important part of an RPG, the story story and unique characters. Ultimately a lot of choices didn't end up mattering but then again it wasn't a pure RPG. What RPG games should do is look to Mass Effect, improve the cause/effect of choices in a way that makes sense and drop the looting/scavenging aspect.

I'm definitely waiting for reviews. They're using UE4 so I expect it to be a lot less buggy and a huge performance improvement compared to Fallout. But I'm sure there will still be plenty of issues.

I'm not really worried about the technical stuff, just the gameplay.

UE4 or practically any game engine will blow that old crappy Bethseda engine out of the water, but you can easily have a broken, ugly game with poor performance when using UE or any other top shelf engine. I don't think this game will be that bad but clearly it should've been in development for another 6 or so months. If anything, to make the camera and facial animations better.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It's more like you get to choose the role you play, in an RPG.

True, but not all RPGs have that and again many other games give you choices. In part it has to do with the general merging of genres I believe. The diversity of AAA games has gone down a lot over the past decade.

20191015_110043.jpg

The definition of an RPG is pretty loose. Especially in today's world of open world gaming and nearly every game having progressions and skill trees.

As far as Outer Worlds goes, I'm going in with moderate expectations. Graphics seem a little underwhelming, but I like the setting and what they seem to be going for. As long as it doesn't look like hot trash I can live with average or below graphics. On the other hand it better perform like a champ. Ugly games have no excuses for performance issues.

As far as Outer Worlds goes, I'm going in with moderate expectations. Graphics seem a little underwhelming, but I like the setting and what they seem to be going for. As long as it doesn't look like hot trash I can live with average or below graphics. On the other hand it better perform like a champ. Ugly games have no excuses for performance issues.
Prepare to be disappointed then. I think it will run terrible on any pc regardless of the graphics. I don't expect more than 30fps out of it with lots of stuttering.

it's available as part of my PC Game Pass subscription so even if it doesn't meet expectations it'll surely be worth $5 :D

I have not read a lot about but was hoping for something that is not dialogue heavy.

I want skill trees, character builds, loot, and items.

I'm pretty confident this game will be prettttttty sweet.

Buggy at first - of course, it is Obsidian after all heh.

I was excited for the game up until recently seeing the game play videos.

Combat looks simplistic and boring. The game length also seems very short for a branching multi ending rpg.

Game looks underwhelming to me, I hope gameplay is a lot better than the game videos.

What's the verdict on this?

Is is just the same old boring quests with a new skin?

This was just a no hope troll thread. I haven't had time to play the game just yet.

Played through the first chunk of the game and am happy to say that my fears were unwarranted. While I don't know what the long term support of this game (expansion packs) will look like, the base game itself appears to be a winner.

I think some fears were warranted, New Vegas was janky AF and honestly I didn't really like it that much. But it seems safe to say that Outer Worlds is a hit.

It's a good fun game.
It kind of feels like a mix of Borderlands, Mass Effect and Fallout 3 or something close to that.
Basically a simple FPS with limited RPG elements, but it's pretty fun and personally I prefer it's style of gameplay to the Borderlands series.
But it's not a crazy in depth RPG that requires deep thought or complex tactics - more of a good shoot em up, with optional companions, lots of killing and standard stuff like skill progression, gear upgrades and mod's etc.
Oh and disabling chromatic aberration makes the game look a little better (in my opinion), without changing its feel and provides a useful performance boost for a few FPS (engine.ini change for that is below, and disabling mouse input smoothing).

"[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

[Engine.PlayerInput]
bEnableMouseSmoothing=false
bViewAccerlerationEnabled=false"

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm definitely not disappointed. It's on track to possibly be my personal GOTY as well at least on the shortlist.

I'm definitely not disappointed. It's on track to possibly be my personal GOTY as well at least on the shortlist.
My shortlist is so short, that it only has one game this year: Metro Exodus. And Outer Worlds is much better than Metro Exodus, so unless something amazing comes out between now and january Outer Worlds is definitely my GOTY.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It's been a long time since I've been actively excited to play an AAA title, and so far I'm really liking Outer Worlds. It also seems really polished IMHO, something a lot of games are missing these days. I loved New Vegas but it was very janky. I think Outer Worlds seems to avoid jank pretty well. The UI/Menus are also an big improvement over the typical Fallout-style ones

Possibly ran into my first major bug, quickly googled it to see if anyone had experienced it, but didn't find anything (though the search was quick).

Here's the scenario: just obtained the 'Armor Master' perk (10% rating bonus, 100% skills bonus). Now when I use skill based checks in terminals (one was a hacking check, the other a medical check), it will say its succeeded but not actually have any effect. Taking a break now, and will see if a reload will fix it later, but something to keep in mind if you guys grab that perk (I recommend making a manual save right before choosing it).

Back