Is an old HX620W up to Haswell?

NetTechie

Limp Gawd
I found an old 620w power supply I had forgotten about, and I think it works... would the HX620W power supply be good enough for a i7 Haswell 4770k setup? I would think it would be, but wanted to check.

Here's a link to it's info:

http://www.corsair.com/en/hx620w.html

Edit: I'm comparing the new HX650 to it, and this one has ATX12V V2.2 and EPS12V V2.91 versus V2.3 and V2.92 on the new one. I don't know if this is important? When I plugged the cable to the motherboard, it fit.

Last edited:
It probably doesn't support the super lower power sleep states, but other than that it is fine.

If I never put my computer to sleep, I should be good then? I don't use sleep mode.

Even if you did put your PC to sleep you'd be good. You just wouldn't have the extremely low power Haswell allows. There's no reason any 2005+ PSU wouldn't work on Haswell or any architecture for that matter. But, I wouldn't recommend using the PSU unless its newer than 2009 (2010+) as PSUs tend to wear after years of use, after 5 I just don't reccomend using that PSU anymore if at all possible. It could blow, and take other components with it.

I think I barely used it. So it should be in good shape still. I remember upgrading when I was trying out crossfire and never went back to it.

I did a bit of googling, and did find that it has issues with Haswell, with the C6/C7 power save state. If you don't disable it in the bios the person said they got random restarts.

I checked Corsair's web site, and it lists it as "Likely compatible". http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/haswell-compatibility-with-corsair-power-supplies/

Last edited:
Well, I looked in my bios and did not find any settings for power save state. I guess I'll just have to see if it starts to give me problems with restarting. :(

Well, looks like the bios has a setting called Intel C state. I disabled that... hopefully this is the thing that would cause problems with older power supplies.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Did you have to disable the Intel C states for it to work?

Even if you did put your PC to sleep you'd be good. You just wouldn't have the extremely low power Haswell allows. There's no reason any 2005+ PSU wouldn't work on Haswell or any architecture for that matter. But, I wouldn't recommend using the PSU unless its newer than 2009 (2010+) as PSUs tend to wear after years of use, after 5 I just don't reccomend using that PSU anymore if at all possible. It could blow, and take other components with it.

PSU wear out mostly because of heat, if you don't push it to the limit, a good PSU can last for 10 years while retaining 90% of it's capacity.;)

I have gone through so many power supplies over the years, one after another, quality units too. This HX series outlasted all the others, maybe because I didn't use it, but it's the only one left of the many I have gotten.

As a side note, most of the ones that failed were Seasonic. This one is supposedly made by Seasonic, but it's lasted.

I have a 7 year old antec tp550 for my 4670 and it's been very stable so far, just need to turn off s6 and s7 in the bios.

I found that in the bios on my mainboard I can set it to use C1-3, and just not use 6, 7, and 7s. Keeps the temps lower than disabling the C states completely.

I built a 4770, h87 matx, gtx 760 setup for a client with only a 350W Silverstone SFX power supply. It's a living room htpc and gaming setup, no OC. Very stable !

But if you're talking of aged equipment with new gears, I still use my old HX850W silver edition, 5 years old or so now, no issues at all.

So yours will be fine, depending on what else went on the build.

Yeah, I'm running a 4670k/gtx 670 on my 7 year old HX520.

I'm looking at getting a new power supply though as I am looking for another cheap gtx 670 2gb < $200 to run in SLI. I only paid $100 for the 670 I am running now so I figure for $300~ total it would be fun to try.

A bit off topic there but that hx620 should work for now.

Just powered up the computer today, after not using it for months, and it crackled and emitted smoke from the PSU. I turned it off immediately with the case power button, but it still kept crackling so I unplugged it. Wonder how much damage it will have done...

Looking at getting an AX760, to replace it, and hopefully it didn't fry my other hardware.

I still use one of these. The only thing that's going to wear in a psu is capacitors. If it's temp and humidity stable there's no reason it can't last as long as vintage audio gear.

Sucks that yours broke.

Back