Is AMD going out of business?

crewzen

Gawd
Ok I am asking why when I go to NewEgg are the AMD/ATI video cards a no cash back where nvidea are a cash back deal. Do they know something we don't.

I usually only see signs like this when a company is going under.:eek:

Why would anyone get the impression AMD is going out of business?

I swear, everytime a company releases a less-than-awesome product, we get these kind of doomsayer threads where the company is gonna crumble.

You do realize AMD makes more products than the latest Radeon and Phenom parts yes?

amd was on top back when the a64 came out now intel is dominating with there chips it goes back and fourth

I think AMD is hurt, but I do not think AMD is under threat to go out of business soon. We will have to see if AMD can pull itself out of this trouble soon or if the heavy weight of Intel will hurt AMD harder.

Ok I am asking why when I go to NewEgg are the AMD/ATI video cards a no cash back where nvidea are a cash back deal. Do they know something we don't.

I usually only see signs like this when a company is going under.:eek:

You do understand that rebates are usually used to help sell a product that's not doing so well, to clear out old inventory and a reason to buy over newer models

Or in the case of the hundred and fifty eight thousand different companies (mild exageration) that sell Nvidia products, a way to get you to buy THEIR 8800GTSEXTREMEGTXOCULTRAALPHA instead of some OTHER company's 8800EXTREMGTSOCALPHAGTXULTRA, which are identical otherwise.

Generally, if a company is NOT offering rebates, that's a good thing for the company...the demand on the product is good, there's no excess stock of old inventory, etc.

And NewEgg doesn't have a THING to do with rebates, other than advertise them...the actual rebate is between you and the manufacturer, so it's not a matter of NewEgg knowing anything.

Now way. There would be government intervention and subsidizations before Intel and NVIDIA's only competitor just "went out."

I'm not talking rebates but if a product isn't working correctly, return policy of giving you your money back with a bad product. Where all the nvidea stuff if a cash back if it is not working. But if you buy ATI from the egg you are stuck with it no matter what.:mad: I like ATI have 2 of there 3870's right now but they are shooting themselfs in the foot with there return policy. It's making me not want to buy anymore AMD products.

My Asus motherboard was sold in 2006 with a no refund spec at Newegg so I don't think its a sign of impending collapse. There's no doubt AMD is in trouble. How much trouble I cant say. Intel went down a one way street with its Pentiums and lost market share. They had resources to bounce back though. Right now it looks like video and mobos are going to integrate more and the AMD/ATI combo might do better in near future. I think ATI is poised for new gains ans tey do have the xbox and such so its not like they are about to sell hot dogs or anything.

They have this 50% cash back deal if you send the fully working card with original accessories and box to me ;)

I'm not talking rebates but if a product isn't working correctly, return policy of giving you your money back with a bad product. Where all the nvidea stuff if a cash back if it is not working. But if you buy ATI from the egg you are stuck with it no matter what.:mad: I like ATI have 2 of there 3870's right now but they are shooting themselfs in the foot with there return policy. It's making me not want to buy anymore AMD products.

Quite the reverse. It means that it's selling so well that they get to mark it up, and don't want people returning it and rebuying it at a lower price when the feeding frenzy is over. (Though the 15% restocking fee also helps with that.) That's the reason that memory is never refundable; the prices are just too volatile. Look at the new 8800 GT and GTS 512's on NewEgg. You'll see about half of them there are non-refundable too.

If it doesn't work, NewEgg will still replace for free, just not refund, so you're not screwed (and don't have to deal with the manufacturer) if something goes wrong in the first 30 days.

AMD are down but not out, and have been around with far less market share than they have even now.

There GPU products has picked up with the 3800 series and maybe even the R680 taking single card bragging rights soon, they just need to get Phenon sorted which does actually have good potential be it lack very luster performance at the moment. Newegg is a separate issue.

AMD is not out of business, a lot of my friends still think freaking AMD is the shit because before the C2Ds they were. They still are living in those days and so are a lot of people who still think they are the uber 1337ness and that you can fucking solve cancer in a millisecond using F@H with the processors.

AMD isn't going anywhere, though I have heard they ended up writing off a biggish chunk of the ATI acquisition.Though they've always moved at a more methodical pace, I think they're going to be just fine.

I'm pretty excited about the FireStream GPU technology--stream computing has always been a particular area of interest of mine--and the FireStream 9170 is coming out in Q1 of 08.

Of course, this is for people who do some hardcore imaging or simulations (like on the molecular level), but I still think it's pretty nifty. And it works with Linux, supposedly.

lol yeah...thats just what we need. MORE goverment subsidization, right?

Germany just got some form of Christmas sales, pretty interesting for being a Democratic European country. They were illegal for awhile.

Then again Prostitution there is legal and not here..

Lol, that didn't come out right.. but I think you get the point?

Back