Is AM3+ the most versatile motherboard EVAR?

As far as socket type goes, yes AM2+, I think is more versatile than AM3+, however that could change in the future. On the Intel side, LGA775 has to be the most versatile Intel socket. I mean it had cpus available for it that were barely suitable for anything more than web browsing and CPUs that can still beat some of what AMD is churning out today.

As far as socket type goes, yes AM2+, I think is more versatile than AM3+, however that could change in the future. On the Intel side, LGA775 has to be the most versatile Intel socket. I mean it had cpus available for it that were barely suitable for anything more than web browsing and CPUs that can still beat some of what AMD is churning out today.

I'm still enjoying my AM3/AM2/AM2+ DDR2 board and my Phenom II. Bought that way to re-use my 6GB of DDR2.

Barely cost anything to upgrade from my LGA775 board this way...$100 for my old hardware on ebay (legacy Intel 775 board, e5400 and an x1950xtx), $180 for my Phenom II x2 and board and an HD4670. Sweet upgrade for $80.

Still lots of juice for the tiny bit of gaming I still do it on it, and with an SSD, super snappy for anything else. This will be a long term socket for me, just like socket 754 was for me (skipped 939 entirely to LGA775). At this rate I'll also skip DDR3 entirely...I can't see needing more than 6GB of RAM for quite a while.

Last edited:
Back