Is AM3+ the most versatile motherboard EVAR?

teletran8

2[H]4U
It runs Dual Cores, Triple Cores, Quad Cores, Hex Cores, and shortly the new BD FX 8130P Octa Core/8 Core. You can also run triple/quad PCI-X CFX / SLI.

Can anyone disagree against AM3+ being the most versatile Mobo ever created, for the widest amount of CPU options for its users? If so what motherboard was/is more versatile than AM3+?

i can agree that your a troll fanboy....

I would probably say AM2+ was more versatile....it runs every current AMD chip since s939.....so the chip range is higher than AM3+ will have, plus with a simple hack you could run SLI on the 790FX boards....

Everyone knows the coolest motherboard of all time is the Abit BP6.

The 7x0/8x0 series AM2+/AM3 is probably AMD's most versatile chipset. It can support CPUs with either DDR2 or DDR3 memory controllers (or both on the same board ;)), including older AM2 processors on boards that support DDR2. So those can potentially span AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+.

AM3+ only supports CPUs with DDR3 memory controllers (AM3/AM3+).

Later LGA 775 boards supported everything from Core 2 Quad Extreme all the way back to Pentium 4 and Celeron chips (from the Athlon XP era) if this is a contest about backwards compatibility. ;)

Last edited:
AM3+ does not support AM2+ chips.....

The 7x0/8x0 series AM2+/AM3 is probably AMD's most versatile chipset. It can support CPUs with either DDR2 or DDR3 memory controllers (or both on the same board ;)), including older AM2 processors on boards that support DDR2.

AM3+ only supports CPUs with DDR3 memory controllers (AM2+/AM3).

Later LGA 775 boards supported everything from Core 2 Quad Extreme all the way back to Pentium 4 and Celeron chips (from the Athlon XP era) if this is a contest about backwards compatibility. ;)

I would probably say AM2+ was more versatile....it runs every current AMD chip since s939.....so the chip range is higher than AM3+ will have, plus with a simple hack you could run SLI on the 790FX boards....

^ :D +1

And bulldozer is/will be the most amazing CPU since sliced bread and will beat anything intel throws at it.

440BX Slot 1 is the greatest chipset/slot of all time. You could buy a cheap 66mhz bus Celeron 300A, 333 in 1998, and you could upgrade as far as a Celeron 1.1 GHz (released August 2001) using just a sloket adapter.

That's THREE YEARS of support, and a 3x single-threaded performance increase on a single chipset!

The only two flaws holding it back were lack of a 1/3 AGP multiplier and the 64Mbit max memory density, but those only mattered on the high-end performance / overclocking scene. The upgrade paths I described above required a sloket and nothing more.

Last edited:

Man Feather is all grown up:D....

440BX Slot 1 is the greatest chipset/slot of all time. You could buy a cheap 66mhz bus Celeron 300A, 333 in 1998, and you could upgrade as far as a Celeron 1.1 GHz (released August 2001) using just a sloket adapter.

That's THREE YEARS of support, and a 3x single-threaded performance increase on a single chipset!

The only two flaws holding it back were lack of a 1/3 AGP multiplier and the 64Mbit max memory density, but those only mattered on the high-end performance / overclocking scene. The upgrade paths I described above required a sloket and nothing more.

The Athlon, later called Athlon Classic, launched on June 23, 1999 and was generally available in August of that year. It demonstrated superior performance compared to the reigning champion, Intel's Pentium III or Celeron, in every benchmark.

Their tied when 8 core FX release, any release after that AM3+ will be the most versatile.

Good to know AMD has made the 2 most versatile sockets/mobo's in history isn't it? ;)

Their tied when 8 core FX release, any release after that AM3+ will be the most versatile.

Good to know AMD has made the 2 most versatile sockets/mobo's in history isn't it? ;)
Maybe, it all depends on whether or not Komodo will be on AM3+. Since AMD technically hasn't announced Komodo, we really can't assume too much. If Komodo does launch on AM3+, it will be the only AMD CPU that won't have integrated PCI-Express (at the time).

FT1/2, FM1/2 and C/G2012 will all have integrated PCI-E lanes, and AM3+ will be the odd man out.

Haven't all late amd sockets had higher backwards compatibility compared to intel? It didn't help make them faster or the better choice though.

Haven't all late amd sockets had higher backwards compatibility compared to intel? It didn't help make them faster or the better choice though.

That's because backwards compatibility is completly pointless in computer :D

Why would any sane person waste cash to get new mobo and continue using old slow cpu is beyond my understanding :D

That's because backwards compatibility is completly pointless in computer :D

Why would any sane person waste cash to get new mobo and continue using old slow cpu is beyond my understanding :D

For the people just getting into the whole building your own PC. That's who lol! Maybe someone has a son and would like to teach them how it's done? Grandson, grandaughter, neice, nephew or an older adult, friend. :p

You can start out and pick up a dual, triple, or quad AMD for 30$-100$ or less and an AM3+ board and see how much better it's than buying a Wal Mart machine or an Ibuyower etc. brand PC. I forgot that AMD has single core AM3 Semprons still available for 29.99. If I never put a PC together for my first build I would love trying to figure out how it's all done from someone who could give me some tips etc. AMD or above X2's CPU's they start @ 44.99. Then once you have that figured out, maybe OC the CPU or RAM, play with the UEFI Bios see how that goes etc. etc. mod it how they wish.

Then get a Bulldozer FX 8 Core CPU whenever you want to get [H]ardcoree. :D

Just nevermind your to narrow-minded.

If I want to get [H]ardcore I get a 990x, 5 GTX 580 3gbs(1 for phsyx) 8 Intel 710 SSDs.....

If you are gonna build your own PC your not gonna start out with some low end shit to show how its done. You get the best you can for your money and have someone help you.

I wanna see bulldozer fail just so you shut up for once.

The Athlon, later called Athlon Classic, launched on June 23, 1999 and was generally available in August of that year. It demonstrated superior performance compared to the reigning champion, Intel's Pentium III or Celeron, in every benchmark.

Yes, but we are not talking about PROCESSOR PERFORMANCE, we are talking about VERSATILITY OF CHIPSETS/MOTHERBOARDS. This is your thread, I can't imagine how you missed this.

The Athlon was an incredible value for new system builders when it was released in June 1999, but it quickly lost it's luster when Coppermine hit the streets (October). For those of us who already bought into Intel 440BX (was already out for a year), the cheap upgrade path offered by slokets and Coppermine was more tempting.

I considered an Athlon in 1999, but I would have needed to buy an AMD Irongate motherboard ($100+) and a processor (hundreds of dollars for early-release Athlons), and I already owned a BH6 + 300A @ 450. Also, knowing that Slot A was doomed to be replaced by Socket-A (with no sign of adapters being possible) held me back from purchasing.

So instead I upgraded with a Celeron 533A ($120), Sloket ($30) and overclocked to 800 MHz (ran stable at this speed for years). That saved me hundreds of dollars. THAT is what makes a chipset versatile.

Last edited:

I can't even belive you think ABIT's great, i can safely say worst mobo manufature ever bar none, with no support provided incorrect phone numbers on their site and won't reply to their emails. And this was long before they gone under. Good riddens the world is a better place now!!!

Even if it fails, I'll think it's great. :)

Yes, but we are not talking about PROCESSOR PERFORMANCE, we are talking about VERSATILITY OF CHIPSETS/MOTHERBOARDS. This is your thread, I can't imagine how you missed this.

The Athlon was an incredible value for new system builders when it was released in June 1999, but it quickly lost it's luster when Coppermine hit the streets (October). For those of us who already bought into Intel 440BX (was already out for a year), the cheap upgrade path offered by slokets and Coppermine was more tempting.

I considered an Athlon in 1999, but I would have needed to buy an AMD Irongate motherboard ($100+) and a processor (hundreds of dollars for early-release Athlons), and I already owned a BH6 + 300A @ 450. Also, knowing that Slot A was doomed to be replaced by Socket-A (with no sign of adapters being possible) held me back from purchasing.

So instead I upgraded with a Celeron 533A ($120), Sloket ($30) and overclocked to 800 MHz (ran stable at this speed for years). That saved me hundreds of dollars. THAT is what makes a chipset versatile.

Honestly I don't know what the word versatile means, I just put that in cause it sounded cool. My first PC was a Hewlett Packard PIII Coppermine 450mhz 256cache with a Voodoo 3 AGP (I put in all by myself lmao!), with 192 MB DDR1 133mhz. I paid like 1600 for it and 200 for the Voddoo 3 back in the day. :D Expensive but I really wanted to play Half Life back in the day.

I wish I knew how to buy my own system back then or the value of money like you did back then, but I didn't have AOL internet or newegg yet! So I didn't know about all the Pentium 2 ,Pentium 3 and celeron compatibility... it's a nice variety for back then, and the speeds of 300/450-1.4 or higher with OC seemed to make it interesting for its time. I remember maximum PC magazine going crazy about 500 mhz and AMD reaching 1 Ghz before Intel. I think it was overrated. And seeing as I had a PIII back then celerons were a joke from my standpoint. I had my awesome gaming performance already in Half Life + DM and all Valve mods.

The way I look at it these were the performance jumps = 386+486/Pentium1/Athlon XP+FX/Core2/Phenom2/BDFX

I don't really count celerons and semprons as being important, and really the Pentium III was just a barely faster P2 like the P2 was a barely faster P1. But from 486 to P3 it was substantial enough to upgrade.

I guess I'm more of a core guy, and not so big on MHz. If I had spent like 700 dollars back then on an OC'd celeron system built by what I wanted. Back then and not spent 1600+ on a PIII. I would have thought like you do now. Good point. I need to remember people buy celerons (instead of P3's) and semprons (instaed of XP/FX's), I just wanted to play Half-Life and be on the internet and I wanted an expensive system that would perform for its time, I didn't even know about AMD back then.

I came off kinda narcissitic in my opinion, oh well. That's not in the rules, and Half Life DM + TFC was better on a P3 with dial up than a Celeron in all of 99'. ;)

Nah I just meant versatile as in allowing alot of CPU's. AM3+ has 1x,2x,3x,4x, and 6x cpus soon 8x (x=# of Core(s) Sempron, Athlon, Phenom and Bulldozer CPU family's as well. So I see AM3+ as the most versatile.

and really the Pentium III was just a barely faster P2 like the P2 was a barely faster P1. But from 486 to P3 it was substantial enough to upgrade.

you can't be serious?

AM3+ is not a motherboard.

Please tell me you're not serious...

you can't be serious?

You guys can't be serious about taking him seriously.

notsureifserious.jpg

I can't even belive you think ABIT's great, i can safely say worst mobo manufature ever bar none, with no support provided incorrect phone numbers on their site and won't reply to their emails. And this was long before they gone under. Good riddens the world is a better place now!!!

borderline blasphemy.

I loved ABIT! And the 1Ghz race was awesome times! Those were really great time in computing, for me at least.

I still have my BP6 with 366As in it lol. I had 2 ABIT mobos and both still run, BP6 and AI7, cant say that about the MSI, Asus, Gigabyte boards I have had.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@teletran8 you are indeed a horrible troll of an AMD fan who makes the rest of look bad.
he makes AMDGamer look good
well, almost.
LMFAO.

I'm noticing a trend here...

Even if it fails, I'll think it's great. :)
teletran8 said:
Honestly I don't know what the word versatile means, I just put that in cause it sounded cool.
teletran8 said:
I don't really count celerons and semprons as being important, and really the Pentium III was just a barely faster P2 like the P2 was a barely faster P1. But from 486 to P3 it was substantial enough to upgrade.
psn-network-exploit-facepalm.jpg

Last edited:

Dude, I had forgot about Coppermine! I had a 700a that OC'd like a beast! I had a Asus CUSL-2 i815. Even had a thermaltake Golden Orb lol. Man those were the good ole days...:(

Yeah trolling your own thread is fun bro, try it sometime. :D I'm special you could say. ;) ...and i just called myself special!?

Then what is it oh yeah its a chip and a motherboard, like I said it's versatile. ;)

Yes, you're special, very, very, VERY special... Without you, the [H]ardForum would be a boring place (at least the AMD subforum).

But really, AM2+ is the most versatile socket in AMD's lineup, since AM2+ can support 3 'generations' of post-939 AMD processors. AM2 socket boards could have been as such, but since most were made with NForce4/5 chipsets on Nvidia reference platforms that were never intended to even support Phenom processors...

That was noted already ;)

Yes, you're special, very, very, VERY special... Without you, the [H]ardForum would be a boring place (at least the AMD subforum).

But really, AM2+ is the most versatile socket in AMD's lineup, since AM2+ can support 3 'generations' of post-939 AMD processors. AM2 socket boards could have been as such, but since most were made with NForce4/5 chipsets on Nvidia reference platforms that were never intended to even support Phenom processors...

the quicker you went from a 486 to a pentium with mmx instructions or pentium pro the better, i remember my brother couldn't play mp3's in stereo, he had to enable mono playback, but i could with my pentium, poor fella. 486 vs. pentium = stereo mpeg 1 layer 3 compression playback. lossy 10:1 compression ratio's ftw, i'm a nerd

the quicker you went from a 486 to a pentium with mmx instructions or pentium pro the better, i remember my brother couldn't play mp3's in stereo, he had to enable mono playback, but i could with my pentium, poor fella. 486 vs. pentium = stereo mpeg 1 layer 3 compression playback. lossy 10:1 compression ratio's ftw, i'm a nerd

Interesting...dunno why you would be using a 486 for MP3's when that was a popular system back in 90'-95' then Pentium Pro with MMX in 96'. Napster/MP3 downloading took off in 99', which is when Pentium 3 was around.

Good point about Pentium MMX on P1 was big for music and for games, then SSE on P3 were definable improvements. The Voodoo 3DFX 1,2,3 were pretty definable moments for PC gamers. Hah the 90's.

From Wiki:
Intel's first IA-32 SIMD effort was the MMX instruction set. MMX had two main problems: it re-used existing floating point registers making the CPU unable to work on both floating point and SIMD data at the same time, and it only worked on integers. SSE floating point instructions operate on a new independent register set (the XMM registers), and it adds a few integer instructions that work on MMX registers.

Back