Is ABIT still a good brand?

Time sure flies. My first build was with an Abit KT7A-Raid, second was a Soyo KT600, third was an Epox nforce 3 board. All are still going strong. Interesting that all 3 manufacturers are now out of the motherboard business. I'm using Biostar now, hopefully they'll be around for quite some time.

True true... I had a few epox boards too.

Soltek was the shit in 2001-3 and after that I never heard about them ever again. Oh well. Soyo sucked back then.

I had an IS7 series board from the same time period. Stable for the 4 years I had it.

I still have a bx6 in running condition as well as a bh6, bp6 and an nf7 2.0.

Soyo, under the leadership of Stephen Davies, was a leader in the European motherboard market in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but has since ceased production of much of their popular Dragon brand motherboards in favor of diversifying into the LCD television market.

By 2009, Abit will no longer sell motherboards and may focus on CE field. Warranties will still be handled by Abit for another 3 years or so.

The German and Dutch subsidiaries of EPoX closed in 2007. The current status of the parent company is unclear.

can't dig up another on soltek.

Loved my BX-6, BH-6, and a couple others, but not really since 04 have they delivered a good board. Even the IC7 and IS7 were iffy. I remember that sucker giving me lots of hell with ram compatibility.

Loved my BX-6, BH-6, and a couple others, but not really since 04 have they delivered a good board. Even the IC7 and IS7 were iffy. I remember that sucker giving me lots of hell with ram compatibility.

I agree, the last great board I will probably own from abit is the NF7 2.0 Mine is still going strong, but regulated to a secondary system. I've heard good things about the IP35 Pro - the last of a dynasty.

abit boards that I have owned that were flawless

Abit AT8 (still rocking after nearly 3 years)
Abit BH6 (still rocking after nearly 10 years still running the celery 400a)

bought an Nvidia based ATi board and that crap was dead after 2 years

I also loved the BH6 and I love the AB9 Quad GT which I am running as I type this. I can do 4.2Ghz with an E0 8400 on this board, and on air and even bench a little at 4.3 Ghz though its not 100% stable that high. Its been a pleasure to OC with this board.

I am sad to see them go. They were great for a long time, then seemed to disappear. Made a roaring comeback with the Quad GT and the IP35 Pro and now they leave us. Good legacy though!

Heh, a friend came round yesterday and spotted his old BH6 motherboard with CPU and ram still in it in my cupboard.
It probably still works.
Loads of us had BE6 and BH6 motherboards, they were like the staple diet for PC gaming.
Afterwards I had the original NF7, the improved NF7 (that did DDR400) then the AN7 with uGuru and SoundStorm, all were fantastic.

Yea to bad they went but for the most part even buying a Abit board now should at least last a few years. Though if it goes good luck.
I still have a few around running and some sitting on the bench I always had good luck with them..

I'm sure many of you remember me and Abit back what 7-10 years ago.

I absolutely hated my last 2 Abit motherboards, and the one before that I RMAd 3 times.
My DFI Lanparty is awesome, and my current server and workstation boards are ASUS and they are bullet proof, despite my complaining in earlier threads I actually think ASUS support is pretty good, you can usually get a response from tech support in about 24 hours.

Abit has sucked for at least 3 years unfortunately.

I didn't even read this thread, sorry. But I <3 my IP35-E

Great value and great stability

Heh, a friend came round yesterday and spotted his old BH6 motherboard with CPU and ram still in it in my cupboard.
It probably still works.
Loads of us had BE6 and BH6 motherboards, they were like the staple diet for PC gaming.
Afterwards I had the original NF7, the improved NF7 (that did DDR400) then the AN7 with uGuru and SoundStorm, all were fantastic.

Was waiting for someone to mention the Abit NF7 2.0 it was the number#1 rated athlon xp board. My dad still has one he uses for recording music. That aside I'm not an Abit fan

Sorry if someone already pointed this out this is another reason Abit cashed out.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20050121203617.html

They made cheap shit but then who doesn't anymore?

Im an asus person. They make special cards that no one else does. You can tell theyre enthusiastic about what they do. Everyone else spits out 9800GT that are just 8800GT's. what does ASUS do? They say screw that its now a 9800GT Ultimate! Which is capable of matching the speeds of cards twice its cost.

The other reason I'm an ASUS person is because it's an easy choice. The Tech support is 30 min from my house. I have friends who've worked there off and on. I call, get RMA, return part, get new part. When my Ti4200 finally bit it they sent me back a 5900U. yaaaaaaay ASUS. or whatever :)

I have a kg7- raid in my server right now with a 1400 tbird been running non stop for 3 or 4 years.

abit boards i have owned
bh6
vx6 i think this was the name crummy via chipset.
se6
KG7
IC7
IC7-g still got this board running my daughters pc
KN8 SLi running in wifes pc
IP35 pro my pc atm. waiting on new proc for upgrade.

I have had some really good luck with ABIT and will be very sorry to see them go.

Abit has sucked for at least 3 years unfortunately.

Thats was just a few that didn't or had problems. they were mostly noobs cause most liked ABIT. Abit was not for the faint of heart in some cases.

and they were not cheap shit as far as prices and quality.
Abit was the king of overclocks for many years and boards.
They are the ones that came up with overclocking / tweaking in the BIOS, every board after tat copied them for sure.

Thats was just a few that didn't or had problems. they were mostly noobs cause most liked ABIT. Abit was not for the faint of heart in some cases.

and they were not cheap shit as far as prices and quality.
Abit was the king of overclocks for many years and boards.
They are the ones that came up with overclocking / tweaking in the BIOS, every board after tat copied them for sure.

1.) abit wasn't cheap. That was for sure.
2.) ABIT and later Universal abit didn't always have the best quality. They always used thinner PCB's than ASUS did. The PCBs were often badly warped right out of the box. The boards never had a great fit and finish to them. That didn't make them bad or anything but it may have contributed to their quirks.
3.) Back in the day ABIT was amongst the best choices for overclocking.
4.) Yes they were. ABIT offered the first truly jumperfree design. ASUS was the next manufacturer that copied them.

My current mobo is the ip35 pro and the last was a AB9 QuadGT...

Both VERY solid motherboards, I've had nothing but the best from abit :(, Shame to see them byte the dust, absolutely awesome performance...

One of my BP6's (Dual celeron) boards lives on in a local home theater store. It was the greatest board of all time!!1

Ok, so who is getting the new IP45 Pro?? I was checking abit's site for drivers and they have the new IP45 and some mATX Geforce based board. Maybe the last of abit? From looking at the specs it is not that bad of a mobo either.

the ip35pro is a great board, and smokes a lot of present boards...and what an-overclocker.....newegg sold a ton of em, the ip35pro reminded me of the nforce 2 board abit had....a great one.

I'm a happy IP35-Pro owner, been fairly solid (although it wont boot NetBSD or linux easly, although I think this is a timing issue as I do overclock. Boots OSX just fine.), have just bought a A-S78H for the server too, dirt cheap, 6xSATA sockets and works lovely with an X4, I'm very happy with it.

(Mind you, I'm in the UK, so even if they do dissapear I can still get cash back if it goes wrong.)

I'm using an Abit NF-M2 Nview right now, good little board but with abit dead and no more bios updates no drop in Phenom for me.. steer clear of Abit.

Erm, I may be reading it wrong but the latest BIOS seems to support the phenom? (Or am I reading Athlon 4X50 wrong??)

There was a period of time I would buy nothing but Abit boards for myself and for builds I put together for others. I've had a BE6, KG7-RAID, KD7, KD7A, several NF7-S 2.0s, IC7-G Max3, and several AV8s. Never had issues with any of them. When Abit started to decline I switched over to DFI and havn't looked back. I miss the days of Abit in their prime.

Darn. I really like Abit, I am going to miss their boards. My AT8-32X and IP35 Pro are still going strong though.

I have used two ABIT boards in the past and neither has ever failed me. It is sad that another mobo company has bit the dust.

I really liked to the guru panel for the abit fatality mb. I wish more mb manufactures would add something like this.

My IP35Pro is the second one from RMA (first replacement was DOA) and works great. Except for one little weird problem, which is having to push the Reset button after powering up the system so it can POST. Otherwise turning it on will leave it stuck at post code #25.
Pic
But yeah, I love the IP35 Pro. It's a goddamned champ, and it'll bring on the legacy for P35 overclockers for sure.

I really wish I could figure out just how they're continuing to support their boards because I still haven't been able to obtain response via support e-mail, RMA form, their store still doesn't work and the phone number was disconnected last I tried.

I mean it was my own stupid fault for not taking the time to burn the BIOS to a CD reboot and flash that way instead I figured you know their windows utility might work.

That being said Abit used to be more board of choice for years and years just my advice to anyone right now if it runs great just don't expect support.

Hey denizen, i was in the same situation. my first flash on my ip35-e in windows went to shit. Ive been flashing DFI boards for years in windows withouth a problem. But anyway. I just did a blind flash using a floppy drive (i could never figure out how to do a cd bootable). Anyway it worked like a charm.

So I have no doubt u could bring your board back, just need the right files in a bootable cd or floppy.

Abit has always been a good choice. IP35-E and IP35-Pro are still the best choice if your going with a single graphics solution. When I get an intel board I'll probably stick with MSI or Gigabyte..those are two companies that I trust.

Wow, reading this thread was the first I heard also Abit was going to stop making boards. I have only bought Abit boards over the years. Never had any problems. Very sad indeed. :(

Abit was always a solid brand- with all the bells and whistles and a price to match. I owned nothing but Abit myself- but it looks like Asus and perhaps Evga is looking like the best mb manufactures.

Would be nice if Evga had a step-up program for Mb- of course the step-up would have to be in 6 month period or so. That would really set Evga apart from all the others.

Back in the day I had an Abit I think it was like a BX440 or something with my old P3 rig that was a great board. P3 733 and 1.1Ghz I believe it was. However, in recent years Abit isn't so much the [H] choice

You are thinking of Intel 440BX chipset based boards like the BH6 and BX6 revision 2. The last abit board I ever owned was the AA8XE which was a great board based on the 925XE chipset. The last good board they made was the IP35 Pro. Between the boards I mentioned on the abit QuadGT was good and almost nothing else. Some people liked the AB9 Pro but I think that was a mediocre board at best.

I will miss abit..I currently own an abit ax78 and its a great running board...It o/clocks like mad and runs cool..all this with a 5000be...this is my 3rd abit board, all ive owned are amd boards and all were and are great enthusiast boards..I was an asus fan too but abits bios is better imo for ease of o/clocking...I will miss abit more than i can say but now turn my choise to biostar, asus ,foxconn, gigabyte, dfi.......
Ive read thet most of the abit engineers went to biostar and foxconn so as time goes by ill watch these two and see if abit look alikes appear...both are on the rise especially biostar...
my son ownes a biostar board and its great but the bios isnt as easy to set up as abits was..
RIP abit ...alot of us out here will miss you alot.....................

I'll miss ABIT -

One of my first builds was a KT7

My last two were AB9-Pro and IB9. I'll be checking into some other vendors X58 after reading the reviews (ASUS P6T?)

I had a Soyo 6BA+III, great board, now Soyo is gone

I had an Abit IT7-Max, awesome board, now Abit is gone... wtf is going on :(

Back