Is a Perc H840 capable of JBOD?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by dodgeboy, Apr 11, 2018.

1. dodgeboy

dodgeboy n00bie

I've looked everywhere and I can't find a definitive answer to this question. I'm hoping one of you knows the answer. Thanks in advance!

2. Space_Ranger

Space_Ranger Gawd

I'm just curious. Why would you need a card of that power for JBOD?

3. dodgeboy

dodgeboy n00bie

Good question! I know it seems insane. I would be repurposing an existing server for something else, and it already has an H840 in it. Since I'll be working with existing external enclosures with ZFS arrays, it would be really handy if it supported JBOD.

4. Space_Ranger

Space_Ranger Gawd

I would be surprised if it didn't support JBODs.. Let us know how it goes if you try to use them in that configuration. :)

5. dodgeboy

dodgeboy n00bie

I would be surprised also, but I can't find it documented anywhere. The H810 specifically supports JBOD, but I don't see that listed on the H840. I hope to be able to confirm it before hand, because it would be a lot of effort (and some risk) if it doesn't support it.

6. mwroobel

mwroobel [H]ardness Supreme

The H840 product page PDF has a very vague statement that "Customers can also use Dell EMC OpenManageâ„¢ Server Administrator/ Storage Services (OMSS) tools to efficiently manage PERC products, including a pre-boot setup utilities and a full spectrum of online RAID management utilities. This suite of applications allow administrators to adjust SAS topology views from the system host down to the logical and physical drive level. Extending to enterprise deployments, these tools can scale to easily configure, monitor and manage RAID and JBOD volumes locally or over the LAN network."
    It doesn't say that the H840 specifically supports it but it intimates that using that card and those tools that it does. My suggestion would be to call Dell support and ask.

dodgeboy likes this.