Is a P4 2.8 '800FSB' faster than its '533' counterpart?

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Abit IT7-MAX 2 (the original version 1.0 i845, not the Rev 2.0) and need to know how much of different this system is compared to a 800MHz FSB system (in gaming).

Here is my system:

Pentium®4 2.8 GHz (533FSB)
Abit IT7-MAX2
Mushkin DDR 2700 [1GB Total]
ATi RADEON™ 9800 PRo,
Microsoft® Windows XP® Professional OS

Yeah the P4C 2.8 Ghz system will be faster then your P4B setup, How much faster?, I'm not sure ( shouldn't be that much faster ) and it has nothing to with HT... It has more to do with a faster FSB and memory on the P4C.

800 > 533 > 400

Intel keeps increasing the FSB b/c its the number 1 bottleneck.

The faster the FSB, the better! However, for gaming a video card is very important too. (which it looks like you already have covered)

Overclock your system some. That will increase your performance dramatically, b/c you should be able to get to at least 3Ghz++ and your FSB maybe to 600+

In a lot of things, the more bandwidth that soaks the northbridge, the better. That's why 1Ghz FSB 1:1 is quite a bit better than 800 FSB 1:1

2.8C also has hyperthreading, that's another 3-5% all around (greater in some instances)

Originally posted by panzerAmd
Yeah the P4C 2.8 Ghz system will be faster then your P4B setup, How much faster?, I'm not sure ( shouldn't be that much faster ) and it has nothing to with HT... It has more to do with a faster FSB and memory on the P4C.
You are correct. I have a 2.6C with 800MHz FSB and my brother has a 2.53 @ 533 FSB. Our Machines benchmark very similar at stock speeds. Mine only has a slight advantage do to newer parts and other small factors. Now with my machine at 3.0GHz and the FSB @ 924 my machine is noticably faster. Plus I have good RAM timings (2-2-2-6) with my OC. Hyperthreading doesn't help that much. I find it to be a little gimmicky actually.

I don't agree about HT. It actually does make a difference. You'd be surprised at the number of people who remark how smooth and responsive my computer is. These aren't people with crappy computers either.

Originally posted by Cannibal Corpse
I have an Abit IT7-MAX 2 (the original version 1.0 i845, not the Rev 2.0) and need to know how much of different this system is compared to a 800MHz FSB system (in gaming).

Here is my system:

Pentium®4 2.8 GHz (533FSB)
Abit IT7-MAX2
Mushkin DDR 2700 [1GB Total]
ATi RADEON™ 9800 PRo,
Microsoft® Windows XP® Professional OS

personally if I were you, I would hold off til the new stuff comes out in may if you can, you have a nice setup as it is.

Originally posted by NightRaven
I don't agree about HT. It actually does make a difference. You'd be surprised at the number of people who remark how smooth and responsive my computer is. These aren't people with crappy computers either.
I agree that it does make a difference. I just don't think it is super noticeable. Maybe I am just too used to my PC. What are some good tests to "see" hyper threading work? I have tried to do two separate processes but can't really notice anything above and beyond due to the HT Processor. I was ripping a DVD and screwing around on the PC at the same time and it definitely slows down due to more than one process being executed. Like I stated...it is still probably better than previous P4 processors.

Running prime95 while doing other work is one place I notice it, also transcoding a dvd while performing other tasks is better. Example: transcoding while compressing wav files to MP3.

Originally posted by slash
Running prime95 while doing other work is one place I notice it, also transcoding a dvd while performing other tasks is better. Example: transcoding while compressing wav files to MP3.

Those are very selective program's you are using:), They are also one's that are very favorable to the P4 architecture... Where HT is going to cause trouble is games especially ones made before HT was turned on in the P4.

By the way with HT, some games are going to lose a lot of performance, Take operation flashpoint for example, On my P4C @ 3.2 Ghz the built in system analyser gives the CPU a score of five thousand... which is the same as i got with an XP2000+, of course OFP doesn't push the system much since i can run at 1600x1200 with 6x FSAA and 16x AF just fine.

In some games HT breaks the game ( system shock 2, theif 1&2 ) in those games there will never be an offical fix for the problem ( since looking glass went bankrupt ).

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
In a lot of things, the more bandwidth that soaks the northbridge, the better. That's why 1Ghz FSB 1:1 is quite a bit better than 800 FSB 1:1

It ias also why DDR333 mated with a 533 MHz FSB processor (supposedly optimum) performs *worse* than DDR320 (the same RAM, but undercranked) mated with a faster 800 MHz FSB CPU; the faster FSB increases bandwidth by greater than twenty-five percent (even though the RAM is four percent slower).

I am looking to purchase a P4 2.8C processor.. what should I look for in terms of packaging in order to get one of the better overclockers.. i know its luck of the draw but still.. also was it sl6z5 or sl6wj that overclock better for 2.8C?

panzeramd, system shock2 works fine for me. although a bit to fast with my 9700pro and p4-3c. i would not say hyperthreading causes problems in games. part of the problem could be the end user's configuration, ability to fabricate, and/or knowledge.

hyperthreading could possibly slow the focus application a small percentage, but it has proven to be worthy over all e.g. alt-tab/window key/alt-enter out of game to do some minor multitasking and back to game with out system slow down is very nice.

hyperthreading is very noticeable and beneficial. even if the application (games, etc) do not make use of multithreading. anyone using a modern os, e.g. linux, windows xp, will gain advantages still at software level.

Well i haven't played system shock 2 since i have had my P4, But i have played theif 1 & 2 which crash because of HT and it's documented here.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10292&highlight=theif

Here is a link for a fix ( included in the beyond3d link ).

http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

It's something i have seen for myself in theif 1 & 2 and since system shock 2 use's the theif engine it must also be present in system shock 2 as well.

You may well be using the processor affinity utility, to assign system shock to one of the virtual CPU's... Which maybe the reason you have no problems ( either that or you don't have HT enabled in your OS ).

HT also crashes snes9x, So to play it i have to disable HT and then it will work just fine.

But it's nice to know that you think i'm at fault when in fact i'm not at fault and remember that just because you don't have any problems, It doesn't mean they don't exist and that the people that have the problem are at fault.

most people are at fault for their own problems. i have not changed priorities nor affinity. hyperthreading is enabled with necessary bios options for full functionality.

i did note another person on the post you referenced, although different architecture for his system is possible, noted that he was not having any issues (he seemed to relate it more with driver versions, ati, as did some other(s)).

system shock2 executed, and played. i will not say normally for it was fast and needed to be slower. this being the thief2 engine that some having problems with and some are not-now, why would that be?

you should change the wording, for if you had a problem with hyperthreading you would not be running at all period. it is your app's that have a problem with hyperthreading not the other way around. careful with your wording and logic.

it was finally better for you to reference others having the issues unless it was truly yourself. you made me curious. me and my friends play system shock 2 multiplayer at least once a year. the time to play is almost around and i thought that i was not going to be able to play at all. i was playing it with no difficulty, as referenced, except as i said before. i move with great celerity.

i never said an issue may not exist. i said part of the problem is usually end user releated. note also the fact that i did not say you. this is the way you comprehended it.
part of the problem could be the end user's configuration, ability to fabricate, and/or knowledge.

Back