Is a jumpy mouse a sign of hardware issues?

Nerva72

Weaksauce
I keep getting tabs crashing in Chrome, along with the occasional BSoD, so I decided to run a memory stress test using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. During that, the mouse got jumpy -- I didn't think that was a big deal, since the system had "a lot on its mind" with the stress testing, but it occurred to me that I frequently notice the mouse getting jumpy when I'm opening or closing big pages in Chrome, so I'm wondering if it is a sign of a more serious problem with the memory in my computer.

A little background. I've been running an Intel i7-2600K (3.2GHz) since 2011 (sheesh, I used to upgrade every three to four years back when processors were actually getting faster), which I got with 2x4GB sticks of PC3-8500 Kingston ValueRAM, and it worked without any significant issues. But then in 2016 I figured I'd give the system a minor upgrade by buying another 2 sticks of the exact same RAM, which I had to go to some lengths to find (because I know you're not supposed to mix/match). Since the upgrade, however, I've noticed that Chrome tabs crash all the time, but of course, there could be any number of reasons for that. Anyways, I finally had enough of it and have ordered 2x8GB sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3-17000 RAM, which is the fastest RAM that my motherboard+2600K are rated for -- I'm figuring it might give a small performance increase while also going back to only using 2 sticks (in case the motherboard was having issues with 4 sticks for some reason).

But, I'm wondering, if I'm stress-testing the RAM, what is the pass/fail criteria on that? Does a jumpy mouse (unresponsive system) indicate there's a problem, or is it only a "fail" if there's a BSoD?

Some system freezing on occasion and a jumpy peripherals during a stress test are normal most of the time. Bsod are not

Check your system event log after BSODs and see if you can determine the cause of the error. I wouldn't say the jumpy mouse is indicative of any hardware problem when stress testing - some of the meaner stress tests seem to prioritize themselves over everything, including KB/M input.

A little background. I've been running an Intel i7-2600K (3.2GHz) since 2011

Are you underclocking or is this a typo? Because the 2600K's base clock is 3.4GHz and turbo is 3.8GHz.
Could be part of the issue if it isn't a typo.

Back