Is A High Quality 750w Power Supply Adequate For An AMD 6950XT?

SlapShot

Limp Gawd
I didnt think I should have any issues, but I have just read two reviews of 7900 XT's where they commented that you want at least an 850w power supply.

Pretty sure that thing tops out around 300W if you're air cooling, I wouldn't worry much.

With a 6950xt it's the transients you have to worry about. 7900xt doesn't suffer from transient spikes.
Give it a try with the 6950xt. If you can game without CTD or rebooting you should be gtg.

I didnt think I should have any issues, but I have just read two reviews of 7900 XT's where they commented that you want at least an 850w power supply.
Technically, the reviews are stating that as a ballpark. Not all PSUs are created equally. Technically, even a decent 500-600 Watt Power Supply should be able to handle that Card and a mid range system.

Don't get all caught up in the Bronze / Gold / Platinum stuff (a lot of this is total paid for BS), you just need to see how many AMPs the PCI-E lanes on the PSU will sustain and how close to it's rating it is. You'll spend some money, but typically Seasonic PSUs have been nearly bulletproof in build quality. If you have a 650 and you wonder if it can handle it, check your total power load and do some research on your PSU.

Technically, the reviews are stating that as a ballpark. Not all PSUs are created equally. Technically, even a decent 500-600 Watt Power Supply should be able to handle that Card and a mid range system.

Don't get all caught up in the Bronze / Gold / Platinum stuff (a lot of this is total paid for BS), you just need to see how many AMPs the PCI-E lanes on the PSU will sustain and how close to it's rating it is. You'll spend some money, but typically Seasonic PSUs have been nearly bulletproof in build quality. If you have a 650 and you wonder if it can handle it, check your total power load and do some research on your PSU.
Thanks. The Seasonic is a 750w model.

Thanks. The Seasonic is a 750w model.
I wouldn't worry about it then. It's a damn good power supply. I have friends running on less, with more. You should be fine, assuming your RIG's MB, CPU, FANS and Bootable / Storage drives don't draw over 400 watts.

If it’s the same PSU one Q&A thread is enough eh?

I’d try it and see personally before buying another PSU

12FA824E-9F2B-4EB4-9FBD-33F8F146A1B0.jpeg

If it’s the same PSU one Q&A thread is enough eh?

I’d try it and see personally before buying another PSU

View attachment 548845
I had not realized until after I posted the first question in the video card forum that there was a PSU forum too. I dont know how to get the first one removed, and was trying to correct things by posting it in the proper forum.

It probably wont happen, but if I decided to go to a 7900 XTX, should I still be okay with my existing power supply?

The reference models with the 2x8 pin connectors should be fine. I’m running a Corsair sf 750 and looking at the xt or xtx. The Power Color Hellhound xtx has 2x8 pin also I noticed.

I would not run it. My RM850x was choking on an 6950XT OC Formula. Unigine Heaven was hitting 600w peak and that was not even stressing the CPU. About 50w less on a 7900XTX. Its real close with 850w. I would not do it on a 750w because the recommended PSU is 900w for most models. Under heavy load my 12v rail sags to 11.50v.

I would not run it. My RM850x was choking on an 6950XT OC Formula. Unigine Heaven was hitting 600w peak and that was not even stressing the CPU. About 50w less on a 7900XTX. Its real close with 850w. I would not do it on a 750w because the recommended PSU is 900w for most models. Under heavy load my 12v rail sags to 11.50v.
Well, thats unfortunate. I may have to throw out a very good power supply that cost me a fair bit three years ago.

Well, thats unfortunate. I may have to throw out a very good power supply that cost me a fair bit three years ago.
Why don't you give it a try first for that seasonic prime gold?
For 7900xt ~300w is a lot lower compared to 6950xt ~400w full load. And 6950xt's problem is that transient spike, not their max power consumption.
~300w + another 300w from cpu, drives, mobo still have 150w spare to the PSU.

Why don't you give it a try first for that seasonic prime gold?
For 7900xt ~300w is a lot lower compared to 6950xt ~400w full load. And 6950xt's problem is that transient spike, not their max power consumption.
~300w + another 300w from cpu, drives, mobo still have 150w spare to the PSU.
Will definitely try it first. Granted, if it doesn't work out, I'm pretty compromised. I had hand surgery a week ago, and I cannot use my right hand for much of anything for six to eight weeks, per my surgeon. I have an experienced friend coming over to help me with the pc build, but if the power supply doesn't end up working out, it could easily be a month before he can return and help me change it out. And yes, I know, very bad timing on my part.

Will definitely try it first. Granted, if it doesn't work out, I'm pretty compromised. I had hand surgery a week ago, and I cannot use my right hand for much of anything for six to eight weeks, per my surgeon. I have an experienced friend coming over to help me with the pc build, but if the power supply doesn't end up working out, it could easily be a month before he can return and help me change it out. And yes, I know, very bad timing on my part.
Welp, speed recovery!!!
Yes definitely have to try it, I don't think it will take too long to test the PSU, maybe 1 hour is enough to test full load gaming on your upgraded platform.

Also that prime gold is not sufficient, then you can still sell it at a good price.

Welp, speed recovery!!!
Yes definitely have to try it, I don't think it will take too long to test the PSU, maybe 1 hour is enough to test full load gaming on your upgraded platform.

Also that prime gold is not sufficient, then you can still sell it at a good price.
Thanks!

The only way to find out is to try but I will say that I just had to replace a Seasonic Focus gold 750w unit because it wouldn't run an xtx without tripping as soon as I loaded into any game, I got a good 1000w unit installed a couple days ago and now the system is running fine.

Some of the older Seasonic focus and prime models have issues with newer cards because of the transient spikes and the units having tighter toleration than most power supplies for spikes tripping OCP/OPP, I think this might have been what was going on for me even though the problem was supposed to be fixed a few months before I bought mine. They changed the tolerance for units manufactured after January of 2018 so if you bought yours 3 years ago it should be the newer revision if your model was one of the ones affected.

The only way to find out is to try but I will say that I just had to replace a Seasonic Focus gold 750w unit because it wouldn't run an xtx without tripping as soon as I loaded into any game, I got a good 1000w unit installed a couple days ago and now the system is running fine.

Some of the older Seasonic focus and prime models have issues with newer cards because of the transient spikes and the units having tighter toleration than most power supplies for spikes tripping OCP/OPP, I think this might have been what was going on for me even though the problem was supposed to be fixed a few months before I bought mine. They changed the tolerance for units manufactured after January of 2018 so if you bought yours 3 years ago it should be the newer revision if your model was one of the ones affected.
Thanks for letting me know. I really, really did not want to go above the price of a 6950, max. However, having seen some recent test numbers with a suite of games, the FPS in 4k that the 7900XTX delivered was far beyond a 6950. I hate building a new system with limitations in a GPU. This may require an extended ramen noodle diet. Of course, then I would also now have to budget for a new 1000w PSU running from $250-350.00. :(

Thanks for letting me know. I really, really did not want to go above the price of a 6950, max. However, having seen some recent test numbers with a suite of games, the FPS in 4k that the 7900XTX delivered was far beyond a 6950. I hate building a new system with limitations in a GPU. This may require an extended ramen noodle diet. Of course, then I would also now have to budget for a new 1000w PSU running from $250-350.00. :(
A good 850w psu should be able to handle it if your 750w one can't, half the reason I went with 1000w unit is that newegg had the 1000w superflower titanium on sale for $200 which wasn't that much more than the best deal I could find on a good 850w unit.

The best deal I've seen for the best 1000w unit (IMO) is $189 shipped for Corsairs rmx 2021 at Amazon. I wouldn't ponder it for too long, there were only 2 left yesterday.

I have a be quiet! 850w psu running my 6900XT for 2 yrs with zero issues, and I have the max power draw set at 350w via MPT.

AIB cards can vary from the FE as far as their transient load on a PSU, and those are generally the ones you want to worry about. Some AIB 3080s were tripping 850W+ PSUs at release.

I’m running a 4090 on a 750 watter and haven’t run into any issues. Don’t plan on upgrading unless I have a reason to.

Reactions: Wat
like this
If you start over clocking you will find your power requirements will increase exponentially as will the heat generated, so a 10% increase in CPU/GPU frequency can increase power draw by 20% and more . If you care about the efficiency of you PSU you should try to keep the demand on it below 75% of rated output . A 1000 watt PSU can heat a room !

Back