Is a HD CRT TV capable of doing 720p or 1080i?

Some other guy on another forum told me that if I do decide to buy the Samsung 30" CRT TV he said I will not be able to display 720p or 1080i. Instead it will be displaying 540i

Is this true? Samsung states on their website that the TX-S3082WH is capable of doing 480i,480p,720p,1080i. If it doesnt support 720 and 1080 then whats the point?!

Am I being mislead? Is the guy a douche bag? or is he right? someone help clear up the confusion.

Thanks!

so it does support 720p? can you guys tell the difference between a video in 720p and 1080i? which one looks better?

720p if there's *any* movement, 1080i for still images with lots of detail

Most HD CRTs just upscale 720p to 1080i which is their defacto standard res. A 720p capable CRT just means it can accept the signal in 99% of cases, you're still getting 1080i on your screen. And if you really want to get technical they don't do full 1080i either but still provide a picture way better than SDTVs. As for the 540i I think that guy was just talking out of his ass ;)

I have a WS Insignia 30" 1080i CRT that serves to entertain me in my computer room that I got for $250 from BB. I couldn't be happier with it, for that price. I have a HTPC hooked to it, and use it frequently to pump out videos through the TV from my media server, or online streamed videos, to entertain friends that are over when we're doing a build, or troubleshooting. CRTs are technically not displaying full 1080i, but they can accept a input signal of that resolution. It certainly looks better than SDTV, as previously mentioned. In the past year, I've bought approximately 12 new screens, monitors and TVs combined. The only standard definition, standard aspect ration screen is my Toshiba 32" CRT TV in the bedroom. At this point, I'm wondering how long that one will last. It's the final holdout of non-HD capable screens in my place. Once you go HD, you don't go back...unless you're at a friends house. It never made sense to me that we didn't all go HD sooner. Computer monitors have been capable of displaying 720P signals for well over 10 years now... simply amazing the amount of time it takes some technologies to emerge, and come into widely accepted adoption by consumers. And then when it does come out, everyone sits around and wonders why we didn't do it all years and years ago. Makes you think huh? At any rate, I know, I know...we didn't have the processing power to do HD back then, but I'm just trying to make a point.

720P looks much better than 1080i. the basic definition of a 720P screen is 720 horizontal lines of resolution, all updated every second. This comes from the P portion of the spec, referring to Progressive scan mode. Every line horizontally is updated every second. 1080i is interlaced, or only 1/2 of the lines are updated every second. This is where that retard referred to it incorrectly as 540i...it's not. Technically, it'd be 540P...almost, but not quite. Interlaced means 1/2 of the lines are updated every second 1080/2=540, and "i" on the end for interlaced. 1080i looks better than regular SDTV (480i), but it doesn't hold a candle to 720P.

720P looks much better than 1080i. 720P.

That's your opinion and a lot of people disagree. And yes CRT monitors can do 720p but not TVs at least not any Insignia model nor recent Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba TVs. So I'm guessing you're just liking your TVs processing.

Hey, don't get me wrong here, it's not the best TV in the world, that's for damned sure. But for $250, I'm happy.

And, admittedly, yes, this is my opinion (regarding 720P vs 1080i). I use the 1080i primarily for viewing pre-recorded content, and playing DVDs, and normal TV viewing. I am, however, in my head, comparing a $250 Insignia 30" WS CRT 1080i picture to my 56" JVC D-ILA projection TV in the living room, and my Westinghouse LVM-37w3. I know, I'm comparing CRT 1080i to projection 720P to LCD 1080P. Meh, perhaps I am just misguided, or my opinion sucks.

Hey, at least I got the fact portion correct!

Also, unless I misread what I typed in my previous post, I never claimed my screen, or any other that I know of, that is CRT based to be capable of being able to display 720P. Some will, however (not my Insignia, mind you), accept a 720P signal.

i went back to my best buy today and the sales guy there said that the Samsung will destory most LCD screens on the market. The thing is that its just big and bulky. he also said that this was the best TV in the world. literally, i quoted him word for word. thats a pretty big statement/claim but i guess he was just feeding me what i want to hear so i can buy it. i was this close but i just wanted to gather more info before i make the purchase. i would like more input from you guys though!

Seriously you guys are some smart mother effers here! you guys know A LOT

i probably got more information from here in a couple hours vs talking to the sales guy for 3 days.

http://samsung.com/Products/TV/SlimFitHDTV/TXS3082WHXXAA.asp

so overall i cant go wrong with this TV right?

Most HD CRTs just upscale 720p to 1080i which is their defacto standard res. A 720p capable CRT just means it can accept the signal in 99% of cases, you're still getting 1080i on your screen. And if you really want to get technical they don't do full 1080i either but still provide a picture way better than SDTVs. As for the 540i I think that guy was just talking out of his ass ;)

yeah you seem like you know what youre talking about. can you explain this a little better? if they dont do 720p and dont really do 1080i then should i even buy the monitor. do you think i would be better off getting an lcd that really outputs 720p rather an crt that kinda does 720p and kinda does 1080i?

Almost all LCD/Plasma screens that are quoted as HD Ready also do not display 720p or 1080i natively, they are upscaled/downscaled (processed) to get them to 1366x768 which is a stupid pointless reslution. With any TV you just need to see it running these signals to see how good it is. The only difference with a CRT that does HD is that the actual resolution might be a bit different.

1080i can often look better than 720p on a good 1080p screen because of the lack of scaling but will still suffer from motion issues in some circumstances. Since 1080i has double the frame rate of 1080p it actually has the same amount of information bandwidth (half the the horizontal resolution per frame - not per second) and depending on the transfer can actually be the same anyway.

^^what he said. Per frame, not per second...blame the beer. Samsung makes some of the best LCDs out there. Comparing my Westinghouse LVM-37w3 to the one you linked, my screen cannot match the contrast of the Samsung, the picture on that one is very nice.

Almost all LCD/Plasma screens that are quoted as HD Ready also do not display 720p or 1080i natively, they are upscaled/downscaled (processed) to get them to 1366x768 which is a stupid pointless reslution. With any TV you just need to see it running these signals to see how good it is. The only difference with a CRT that does HD is that the actual resolution might be a bit different.

1080i can often look better than 720p on a good 1080p screen because of the lack of scaling but will still suffer from motion issues in some circumstances. Since 1080i has double the frame rate of 1080p it actually has the same amount of information bandwidth (half the the horizontal resolution per frame - not per second) and depending on the transfer can actually be the same anyway.

you mentioned that CRT does HD in a different resolution. what resolution would that be?

so 720p on an LCD will look bettter than 1080i on a crt? is it even a comparison?

Back