is a 660 non to enough for 1080p gaming?

4LC4PON3

DERP!
I really want to get into Physx games such as borderlands 2 but I am short on cash. I sold my 7970 because I want to go back to Nvidia so I can just explore more Physx based games.

I need to stay on a budget of 240 and under so my choices r limited obviously. I really just want to explore Physx. I have been watching video after video of borderlands 2 and the Physx in that game r simply amazing

It will be enough to play at 1080p, yes. My girlfriend plays Borderlands 2 on medium/high with a GTX 460 at 1920x1200 and it looks silky smooth to me on her AMD x6 system.

It will be enough to play at 1080p, yes. My girlfriend plays Borderlands 2 on medium/high with a GTX 460 at 1920x1200 and it looks silky smooth to me on her AMD x6 system.

kool i just keep questioning myself because i get alot of comments on other forums about how im wasting my money. I should go AMD and the 660 is worthless and so on and everyone keeps egging me on to go back to AMD.

I want something new and I want to try Physx for once. To me by watching those videos it does show how cool physx are in games

And on top of that, when we play co-op and we get into intense gunfights with debris flying all over, her FPS remains smoother than my system. :rolleyes:

I really want to get into Physx games such as borderlands 2 but I am short on cash. I sold my 7970 because I want to go back to Nvidia so I can just explore more Physx based games.

I need to stay on a budget of 240 and under so my choices r limited obviously. I really just want to explore Physx. I have been watching video after video of borderlands 2 and the Physx in that game r simply amazing

hey if u want ill trade you my 670 for that 7970

Here is the 660ti vs the 660 with most benches at 1080p.

Edit: Here is Anand's 660 review.

Here's a spoiler from the review: "GeForce GTX 660 offers around 88% of the performance of the GTX 660 Ti at 1920x1200, making it a strong performer in its own right and the logical follow-up to the GTX 660 Ti."

Looks good for 1080p to me.

Last edited:
I play metro 2033.max payne3,at or near max settings, with out any problems and they run just fine

i use my 8800gts for 1080p gaming still. i play games just fine, but i have to turn some settings down here and there depending on the game.

The 680 and even the 690 has major dips in heavy fights in borderlands 2 especially in four player mode when you are up close and have all the effects with elemental weapons and the action skills. The 660 will struggle in multiplayer.

In single player you may be fine, but multiplayer will be a bit tricky. Physx is really intense in BL2.

I prefer 60 FPS minimum, in any situation. I think it's reasonable enough. :)

So do I, but unfortunately not even the 690 was able to sustain that in BL2. It's crazy how demanding physx is when it's on high in BL2 with 4 players.

I am talking about the actual battles where you meet a bunch of enemies and get right in their face. When you just run across one or two here and there, or if you stay way back and snipe it's completely different.

kool i just keep questioning myself because i get alot of comments on other forums about how im wasting my money. I should go AMD and the 660 is worthless and so on and everyone keeps egging me on to go back to AMD.

I want something new and I want to try Physx for once. To me by watching those videos it does show how cool physx are in games

Well if you want physx it really doesn't make sense for you to consider AMD. Physx is actually quite interesting in the games it is done well in and I would say for sure has a much larger visible impact than going for ever higher AA levels or some of the more "extreme" graphics settings used in certain games. The only issue is there isn't a lot of these games.

I have a 560 ti (which is slower) but was able to run BL2 and Batman:AC (albeit in DX9 mode, however the stuttering issue with DX11 is apparently an issue even on the highest end cards of both brands) on medium physx at 1920x1080. They are both great recent implementations of physx. Batman:AC was actually one of the reasons I wanted to go Nvidia for physx. But I can't say if your actual framerate requirements as well as graphics settings (mainly AA) is the same as mine.

The reason for AMD suggestions at the moment is in terms of raw performance (as in avg fps) right now their cards simply have a better price/performance ratio (with the most common prices) and have taken the performance lead for the highest end segment with the latest drivers. If that is what is most important than the 7870 and 7950 are better choices than the GTX 660/660ti.

If you are okay with rebates there is a 660ti at newegg for $240 AR -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Slightly more expensive at $250AR if you prefer a different brand -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Yes, absolutely.

Anand was happy that even the 7770 would be enough had it come with a larger framebuffer.

Back