Is a 5870X2 in the cards this year?

Svengali

Limp Gawd
Sorry, I don't follow AMD cards as much, but I am curious if there will be a single card solution for CrossFire on the 5870 (5870X2) this year. Does anyone know or think it is likely? Thanks. :)

The only thing that must be holding it back are mature drivers for Crossfire support + Eyefinity ?

I would upgrade from my single 5870 to a 5870X2 with 4gb tomorrow if they were available soon ? I am now running 3 - Dell 2408WFP's, I could use some more horse power and extra video memory if I want to play Crysis and other brand new games at my 5760x1200res

I should definitely be out this year. The only thing that may hold it back is a lack of competition from Nvidia seeings as they will be lucky to make January

I dunno if I would do that. After doing the 4870X2 and 4870 1 gig, I'd have to say no games I played scaled at all with the extra gpu. I got 2000 more in 3dmark06 and about 10 degrees hotter inside my case with more power draw for basically no return. If this gen scales better then it may be worth it, but I wouldn't do tri-fire until then.

Probably before 2010. But honestly I think they should focus on a $200 card right now, they have to realize the 5770 just isn't a good card for the money. But yeah it will be called the 5900 series for some reason.

I really want this card!!

I cant really find any decent information on it anywhere excepts pics at hardwarecanucks

The only thing that must be holding it back are mature drivers for Crossfire support + Eyefinity ?
That would be my guess also. They might also be binning chips for the cards for higher performance.

I sure hope it comes out soon, my Eyefinity setup could use more horsepower, and the extra memory will be welcomed too. Really would like to see a 4gb model :)

But I always read the approx expected date was sometime in November ? Is there any evidence this beast is still on track, or delayed ? I think the 4870x2 came out in less than 2 months after the original 4870

i dont think we see untill nvidia does something. why would they release it before then?

I dunno if I would do that. After doing the 4870X2 and 4870 1 gig, I'd have to say no games I played scaled at all with the extra gpu. I got 2000 more in 3dmark06 and about 10 degrees hotter inside my case with more power draw for basically no return. If this gen scales better then it may be worth it, but I wouldn't do tri-fire until then.

Hopefully that Lucid Hydra fixes that, imagine if it worked as advertised and you had 3x 5870x2, mmmmm.

Back