Is 8gb ram enough for older pc or would it benefit significantly with 16 in gaming etc?

alpharalpha

Weaksauce
I'm upgrading the GPU in an old XPS8300 for a Christmas present to use as a gaming pc and wonder if adding and additional 8gb ram is necessary, has older i5 and am putting a GTX1050ti in it; good example of max load would be GTA5.

I'm upgrading the GPU in an old XPS8300 for a Christmas present to use as a gaming pc and wonder if adding and additional 8gb ram is necessary, has older i5 and am putting a GTX1050ti in it; good example of max load would be GTA5.
Would it be going from a 1x8 ram to a 2x8 or a 2x4 going to a 2x4 + 8, going to dual channel can have solid impact in some scenario.

You can look at videos like those (GTA 5 being featured, core i5 7th generation with a 1060):

But those often have clean/fresh install of windows with nothing but the game running for benchmarking.

Would it be going from a 1x8 ram to a 2x8 or a 2x4 going to a 2x4 + 8, going to dual channel can have solid impact in some scenario.

You can look at videos like those (GTA 5 being featured, core i5 7th generation with a 1060):

But those often have clean/fresh install of windows with nothing but the game running for benchmarking.

Currently 2x4, there are 4 slots so would add another 2x4gb (but in the video didn't seem to make much difference?)

Currently 2x4, there are 4 slots so would add another 2x4gb (but in the video didn't seem to make much difference?)
Yes if you were already in dual channel, for something like GTA 5 it seem to not change anything (but that computer is probably doing only that game on a clean windows).

Yes if you were already in dual channel, for something like GTA 5 it seem to not change anything (but that computer is probably doing only that game on a clean windows).
Well, I am going to do a clean install upgrade to Windows10--they still have Win7 that it came with. The pc isn't pretty much isn't used at all except as an HTPC and now a gaming pc so will stay pretty clean. So, no need for the extra ram? It'd cost $30 for the 2x4 extra sticks bringing it to 16gb; they might have this pc for the foreseeable future.

Well, I am going to do a clean install upgrade to Windows10--they still have Win7 that it came with. The pc isn't pretty much isn't used at all except as an HTPC and now a gaming pc so will stay pretty clean. So, no need for the extra ram? It'd cost $30 for the 2x4 extra sticks bringing it to 16gb; they might have this pc for the foreseeable future.
I do feel that $30 for going to 16 gig is such a nice deal that it goes near a non-brainer to me.

If windows end up using 3-4 gig, you go from 4-5 free gig to 12-13 free gig, it is almost tripling your amount of ram available for $30.

I do feel that $30 for going to 16 gig is such a nice deal that it goes near a non-brainer to me.

If windows end up using 3-4 gig, you go from 4-5 free gig to 12-13 free gig, it is almost tripling your amount of ram available for $30.
an optimized windows install will use 1.6-2GB, so 8 would be fine BUT $30 for another 8 isnt bad. might as well, op.

an optimized windows install will use 1.6-2GB, so 8 would be fine BUT $30 for another 8 isnt bad. might as well, op.
Well, that's what I get for assuming; it's not 2x4gb but rather all 4 slots 2gb sticks; so would have to purchase full 16gb, new around $60 while it already has 8gb working that's otherwise be useless; changes things. Maybe could find some cheaper used, but is 8gb ok going forward? Am putting a GPU in it with 4gb, so there's that.

Well, that's what I get for assuming; it's not 2x4gb but rather all 4 slots 2gb sticks; so would have to purchase full 16gb, new around $60 while it already has 8gb working that's otherwise be useless; changes things. Maybe could find some cheaper used, but is 8gb ok going forward? Am putting a GPU in it with 4gb, so there's that.
I would leave 2x2GB and add 2x4GB. Should run dual channel 12GB and should suffice.

nah, it'll be fine at 8. the 12GB idea would work to. i'd try it with 8 first, i doubt it will be an issue.

nah, it'll be fine at 8. the 12GB idea would work to. i'd try it with 8 first, i doubt it will be an issue.
I'm also going to be upgrading/doing a clean install of Win10 on it; has stock mechanical hdd; has been suggested to add ssd ($55) think that'd be worth it?

I'm also going to be upgrading/doing a clean install of Win10 on it; has stock mechanical hdd; has been suggested to add ssd ($55) think that'd be worth it?
yes. even like a $30 256GB ssd as the boot drive would be a night and day difference. you can use the hdd for extra storage/games.

Back