Is 7900GT (GTX?) going to kill X1900XTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like some of us have assumed here, I also would believe that the 7900s would beat the x1900s, but probably not by much.

It doesn't matter much for me though because I recently got a 7800 GT. I settled for this mid-high end card to enjoy myself until the real next-gen stuff comes out.

a-lamer said:
There are just too many uncertanties with 7900 in my mind as there are with any unlaunched product.

Avaibility?
Price?
Speed?
Features (HDR+AA?)
Which is why you never wait for technology.

Yoshiyuki Blade said:
Like some of us have assumed here, I also would believe that the 7900s would beat the x1900s, but probably not by much.
Of course it will; they always leapfrog. nVidia releases a card (7800GTX), ATI releases a slightly better one (X1800XT), nVidia rehashes to be slightly faster (7800GTX/512), ATI rehahes to be slightly faster (X1900XT), rinse, repeat. Same for AMD/Intel: AMD's been the lead choice for years, but with the 900 series Intel is once again top dog, then AMD releases 65nm and reclaims crown, then Intel releases 45nm and takes crow, rinse, repeat.

sac_tagg said:

Of course it will; they always leapfrog. nVidia releases a card (7800GTX), ATI releases a slightly better one (X1800XT), nVidia rehashes to be slightly faster (7800GTX/512), ATI rehahes to be slightly faster (X1900XT), rinse, repeat. Same for AMD/Intel: AMD's been the lead choice for years, but with the 900 series Intel is once again top dog, then AMD releases 65nm and reclaims crown, then Intel releases 45nm and takes crow, rinse, repeat.

What happens whne Intel hits a 22nm process?

sac_tagg said:

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. They probably will progressively beat each other, but not necessarily "kill" one another.

tornadotsunamilife said:
What happens whne Intel hits a 22nm process?

LOL, i'm assuming that is the current projected physical limit? When that happens its gonna be downt whoever can sign the awesome Fatal1ty to endorse their product, b/c we all know that Fatal1ty products are the best!

Hmm, 7900 will beat 1900... but so what? I bet the 1900's will cheaper by then, which is ALL that counts, because ANYTHING up from a 7800GT will be *great* for *any* game from now until the dx10 generation.... which isnt too far away... so honestly, the best thing to do will be to wait for 7900 to be released, then get the cheapest thing u can find from 7800GT and up... becase you'll barely notice a difference, and even if you do, it will only last a few short months b4 Vista and dx10 make all the ppl that shelled out for a 7900GTX SLI and crossfire X1900 XTX look like idiots.

I'm sure the 7900 will be faster, but if it's anywhere near the cost of the 7800gtx 512, it won't be worth it. ATI managed to release the 1900xtx and be both cheaper and faster than the gtx 512 at the same time. I really don't see Nvidia pulling off the same feat, and then there's the question of availability, non-existant with the gtx 512 and the opposite for the x1900 series.

brucedeluxe169 said:
becase you'll barely notice a difference, and even if you do, it will only last a few short months b4 Vista and dx10 make all the ppl that shelled out for a 7900GTX SLI and crossfire X1900 XTX look like idiots.

I think that people who jump the Vista & DX10 bandwagon in a hurry will be the real idiots. How long has it taken for the developers to endorse DX9.0? I don´t see people adapting to Vista very quickly. Everything basicly speaks against it. Its heavy as hell, how many DX10 game will be out there and the driver support will suck for a loooong time.

One fellow at our school is doing a project with Beta Vista, booting up a frigging Minesweeper takes over 30 seconds and this is with your basic 2.5g P4 processor, 512MB memory and Radeon 9600pro. Ok it might be low class machine but it gives you some indication what is to come :(

a-lamer said:
I think that people who jump the Vista & DX10 bandwagon in a hurry will be the real idiots. How long has it taken for the developers to endorse DX9.0? I don´t see people adapting to Vista very quickly. Everything basicly speaks against it. Its heavy as hell, how many DX10 game will be out there and the driver support will suck for a loooong time.

One fellow at our school is doing a project with Beta Vista, booting up a frigging Minesweeper takes over 30 seconds and this is with your basic 2.5g P4 processor, 512MB memory and Radeon 9600pro. Ok it might be low class machine but it gives you some indication what is to come :(

Vista booting up Minesweeper so long, can't be true o_O Maybe you're friend has got a bottleneck somewhere..

sac_tagg said:

Never wait for technology?

I plan on gettting the 7900. I'm waiting. Price can't be that much more or less than it has the past few flagship launches. Am I doing it beause I want the best there is at the time? No. If the cards I waited for are not what I hoped they would be then I'll buy somthing differant. Why am I waiting though? I like nVidia. The cards look very promising, and most of all... Because I can. If your the person that needs the latest and greatest more power to you. But you can't say, "Never wait for technology".

Also there is going to be reviews out the day of launch so I can see some [H]ard reviews on it and decide from there.

the only reason the GTX 512 is so limited and pricey is because the g70 cores had to be hand picked to take the stock overvolt and insane OC and paired with nearly non existant ram. it was one of those limited edition rare collectables. seeing that the 1900xtx and GTX 512 and their SLI/CF counterparts have almost the same power, with ATI pulling slightly ahead, i would say the 7900GTX 512 SLI will own ALL!!!

sac_tagg said:
Same for AMD/Intel: AMD's been the lead choice for years, but with the 900 series Intel is once again top dog.

Um, actualy, no it's not.

Hmmm, I wander how well conroe will perform, anyways I might wait till the dust settles.

sac_tagg said:

thank you for saying exactly whats on everyones mind. if your an ati dude and nvidia happens to have the lead in performance, you know what you do? wait. ati will take it again. but i love how these companys release some products so fast and in such succession. im not sure on this one but heres my ex.

agp models
Ati: X800, Nvidia: 6800, Ati: X800 GTO, Nvidia 6800GT, Ati X800 PRO, Nvidia: 6800 ULTRA, Ati: X800 XL, Nvidia: 6800 ULTRA extreme, Ati: X800 XT,

it goes on and on and on. from 6800 reg to 6800 ultra extreem, you have gone from:
3200 shader operations, and texture/pixel fill rates, to 7200 of all three. its almost the same for ati. and its nuts. some of the x800 cards are better then the x850 ones. whats up with that? but hey i thought the X1k series was retarded. whats the deal with the x1300? its really redundant.

Cannibal Corpse said:
Everyone seem to like X1900XTX more than 7800GTX, even the 512MB version, so is the upcoming 'refresher' 7900 series (GT, GTX) going to kill it or should I buy a X1900XTX, now?

Thanks in advance!

You are comparing a ATI card that is basically two gens newer considering x1800 was a next gen due to release time. Yes it should be better than a 7800 256mb it has twice the ram clocked higher and alot more on it. It won't look as good next to a 512mb GTX but who cares honestly since that is a gen behind it as well.

Get the x1900 now or wait for newer it's up to you but more than likely the 7900 512mb card will blow it away in all games unless they do more heavy optimizations to their drivers as usual. Personally I am waiting on DX10 ATI or Nvidia. If you want to go two cards I would go SLi if you are staying single then go with the x1900.

Dark_fire said:
the only reason the GTX 512 is so limited and pricey is because the g70 cores had to be hand picked to take the stock overvolt and insane OC and paired with nearly non existant ram. it was one of those limited edition rare collectables. seeing that the 1900xtx and GTX 512 and their SLI/CF counterparts have almost the same power, with ATI pulling slightly ahead, i would say the 7900GTX 512 SLI will own ALL!!!

Any excuse whatsoever is a poor one. The GTX 512 was a monumental failure, reaching phantom status. Nvidia will not make the same mistake with the 7900. I'm betting it will be only slightly faster overall, like the X850XT was, most people will wait for the next gen.

sac_tagg said:
Never wait on technology, especially if you don't know when it will arrive or how it will perform. Just get a 7800GTX/X1800XT now and enjoy. I advise against getting a GTX/512MB or XTX, as the performance difference between those and the ones below them is usually minimal and the price difference is huge.

We know the 7900s will hard launch in 14 days. That is too short a time not to wait, especailly when they are promised to be cheaper and at winning at least some benchmarks.

sac_tagg said:

Two problems:

1. The "wait" is two weeks, and if the cards end up being cheaper and winning most benches, the people who buy during those two weeks will feel pretty cheated.

2. If the 7900GTX does still turn out to be 32 pipes, no factory OC on a 16 pipe X1900 will make it competitive. (and it's pretty apparent ATI is sticking with 16 pipes for a while)

sac_tagg said:
Same for AMD/Intel: AMD's been the lead choice for years, but with the 900 series Intel is once again top dog, then AMD releases 65nm and reclaims crown, then Intel releases 45nm and takes crow, rinse, repeat.
Maybe I have misread your post, because I thought I saw you say that Intel is the top dog.

cyks said:
Maybe I have misread your post, because I thought I saw you say that Intel is the top dog.

Yea, I thought he said the same thing. Intel hasnt been at the top in a long, long time.

Intel is top dog.... they sell more CPU's then AMD, and they beat out both Nvidia and ATI in the graphics department. A lot of Dells come with onboard graphics.

Yes intel sells more chips both graphics and processor, but what you said was top dogg. Most of us here use terms like that for fastest, not largest.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/fx60-vs-955xe/index.x?pg=16

Shows the 900 series vs. an FX60. looks like its not so cut in dry for your top dogg. Also I have never seen an intel graphics chip hang with the best from ATI and NVidia.

All I am saying is you need to be a little more careful and explain your statement definitions.

cyks said:
Depends on how you look at it. I say Intel is top dog because they are all-around cheaper (processor, motherboard, and memory) while proving compettitive performance. Hence they are top dog in my book (which I base solely on value).

Rollo said:
1. The "wait" is two weeks, and if the cards end up being cheaper and winning most benches, the people who buy during those two weeks will feel pretty cheated.
Is it that soon? Man, I've lost track of the days here (darn tests). In that case, then yeah wait for it. I must have been thinking of AM2 when I said that.

ClearM4 said:
I doubt the 7900gtx will be much faster than the x1900xtx. It will be faster, but no it will not kill it.

Yes.
I expect it to be faster, but no way it's going to kill the X1900XTX.

We know the 7900s will hard launch in 14 days. That is too short a time not to wait, especailly when they are promised to be cheaper and at winning at least some benchmarks.

we can really rely on their promises ... i think after all the promises that never were to come true with the FX5800, and the few that were broke with the 6800 i'll just say "i'll wait to see it"

I REALLY doubt the 7900's will be cheaper than the X1900XT. You can get a XT for under $500 now, there is no way the 7900's will launch at that price. Heck, you can get XTX's for $550. We've been "warned" by certain people about waiting. Some NV supporter (who claimed to have inside information) posted a thread trying to stop people from buying an ATi card a few weeks before the 512MB GTX came out. He said the 512MB GTX will be widely available, and competitively priced. Obviously that turned out to be misinformation.

That being said, Ive got some cash stashed up. And am thinking very hard about selling my GTX's before the 7900's come out, because I think I would get more. But then I dont want to be let down either, and be stuck without a card, or cards. Or just keep these, and get a nice Opty 170. Ill probably just wait it out, if nothing else, X1900 priced will drop even further if I decide to go down that road.

fallguy said:
I REALLY doubt the 7900's will be cheaper than the X1900XT. You can get a XT for under $500 now, there is no way the 7900's will launch at that price. Heck, you can get XTX's for $550. We've been "warned" by certain people about waiting. Some NV supporter (who claimed to have inside information) posted a thread trying to stop people from buying an ATi card a few weeks before the 512MB GTX came out. He said the 512MB GTX will be widely available, and competitively priced. Obviously that turned out to be misinformation.

Whoever posted that thread, wasn't misinformed this is true. The only thing he/she was wrong about is the card will be competitively priced against the X1900XTX not the XT. That would be insane. The card will sell for around $550.00 some premium overclocked n stuff versions for $599.99. The card will be much move available than the 7800GTX 512MB but because of it's extreme popularity will be hard to get.

Lord_Exodia said:
Whoever posted that thread, wasn't misinformed this is true. The only thing he/she was wrong about is the card will be competitively priced against the X1900XTX not the XT. That would be insane. The card will sell for around $550.00 some premium overclocked n stuff versions for $599.99. The card will be much move available than the 7800GTX 512MB but because of it's extreme popularity will be hard to get.

Hard to get and extreme popularity means actual retail prices will go through the roof. Ouch, just when I was happy that prices for top end cards were starting to drop or at least quit going up so quickly.
:mad:

sac_tagg said:
Depends on how you look at it. I say Intel is top dog because they are all-around cheaper (processor, motherboard, and memory) while proving compettitive performance. Hence they are top dog in my book (which I base solely on value).

Youre not talking about the really good stuff right ? I mean a really good 945 or 955x and good ddr2 memory are still more expensive than the amd alternative.

Anyways, back on topic, do you guys know if the march 9th is official date? Or only inquirer.net info ? I seriously hope it hits below $600. :(

Honestly it would be nice to see a price war in addition to a performance war.

I swear, the price of the high end graphics cards has skyrocketed in the last couple of years.

in the days of the 9700pro, the top of the line price was around 350-400. now its more like 500 or more. Sure the gains are there with every generation, but thats still alot of money.

Cannibal Corpse said:
Everyone seem to like X1900XTX more than 7800GTX, even the 512MB version, so is the upcoming 'refresher' 7900 series (GT, GTX) going to kill it or should I buy a X1900XTX, now?

Thanks in advance!

No one knows until they arrive.

Dreadlox said:
Hmmm let me see now...

Yes

congratulations on the dumbest post of the day. You dig up this old thread just to start a flame war, good job...

/sarcasm
blah blah !!!!1111!!! XTX=teh sUx0rs!!!11!
/end sarcasm

Dreadlox, it's not so cut and dried as "hmmm... yes." The XTX and GTX trade blows at the high resolutions they were designed to run. in all fairness, i'd say they're about equal and that you have to pick your winner based on the games you play and the features you want.

If you think he is trying to start a flame war and trolling then why did you guys take the bait and get upset?

Honestly

SatinSpiral said:
Dreadlox, it's not so cut and dried as "hmmm... yes." The XTX and GTX trade blows at the high resolutions they were designed to run. in all fairness, i'd say they're about equal and that you have to pick your winner based on the games you play and the features you want.
I look at the package as a whole. NF4 > SLI > GPU. Apples to Apples. You are right at trading of blows at the high resolutions(its where it counts). The 7900GT performs just as good as a 7800GTX512. Closest ATi has to that is the 1900XTX. $350.00 can't go wrong.

Budwise said:
congratulations on the dumbest post of the day. You dig up this old thread just to start a flame war, good job...
Budwise

I don't see any posts made by you in this thread until after Mine. I believe the people in this thread that posted before you had a nice conversation about the new 7900 series and that instead of creating another thread about these beautiful cards I would like to hear what they have to say now.
The people that have posted here will understand my statement more than you will as a joke since we contributed in this thread as good people sharing insight. If you would like to take this up with me just PM even though I will just deleted them and I hope you get self gratification out of it.

"Dumbest post of the day" if you are the overseer of this pristine reward you can just give it to yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back