Is 57c okay for an i920 @ 3.8, 1.211v?

low 80's seems pretty hot... as does 57 idle... 1.2v isn't much...

What heatsink is on there?

Mine gets to 59c prime 95, 3.4ghz @ 1.265v

Edit: Using True.

Last edited:
i think its running the HSF on silent mode.. which would explain the really high temps.. the load temps sound right for that heatsink.. but the idle temps dont.. which brings me to think that speedstep was turned off..

57*C idle is too high, even for the stock cooler. Especially at that voltage. I'm getting about 38-42*C idle (depending on ambient) at 1.25v Vcore under a TRUE.

See.. if I had an i7, I would want to keep the load temps under 70c..... even 62c is pushing it for load temps for me.

I don't care what the max allowable temps for any piece of silicone is. temps that high just don't sit well with me.

Even a decent air cooler should be able to keep the temps a lot lower than what I normally see in these i7 posts. Or maybe the i7 is just a huge power leak and that is why it runs so hot.

See.. if I had an i7, I would want to keep the load temps under 70c..... even 62c is pushing it for load temps for me.

I don't care what the max allowable temps for any piece of silicone is. temps that high just don't sit well with me.

Even a decent air cooler should be able to keep the temps a lot lower than what I normally see in these i7 posts. Or maybe the i7 is just a huge power leak and that is why it runs so hot.

then I suggest NOT ever getting an i7 unless you plan to WC it. Even then, you may push 60c+ during load.

50+º idle is definitely too much. I had a lot of issues getting my HSF on with proper cooling, and yet my idle temps only hit 50 with one of my attempts (the one where I barely applied any thermal paste).

If you're seeing 50s, I think you need to check to ensure your HSF is making contact with the paste across the surface of your CPU.

Just as another data point:

Antec 900
i7 920 w/ Stock HSF
Asus P6T SE

Running idle at 50c and loading to 80c in prime95

This is with an ambient of 72F. I haven't applied thermal paste yet so I expect it will drop a few C.

Idle is a bit high, but the sensors are less accurate the further away from TjMax they are.

I'm running my 920 at 4.55ghz at 1.5v and seeing 45C idle. Water though.

then I suggest NOT ever getting an i7 unless you plan to WC it. Even then, you may push 60c+ during load.

Agreed. If you want to see <65C, avoid i7. Even at stock on water, I was at 62C under load. They run hot, no debating it, no avoiding it.

You seem to forget that it's a 130W TDP processor so it will invariably run hotter than others (such as the LGA775 CPUs). The chip is made to handle these high temperatures and anything under 80*C load is safe.

I wouldnt care what the max allowable temps for silicone are either since the only silicone I care about rarely makes it much above body temperature! :p

I think you mean Si, or Silicon... not Silicone.

I haven't applied thermal paste yet so I expect it will drop a few C.

Wait... you didn't use any at all? Or you just used what was on the stock cooler...

Heh...

Either way, both sound kind of hot.

I'd expect mid 40's for idle, and mid 60's / low 70's for load to be honest...

then i guess you should start planning to go to the amd phenom II.. because even at stock under any load the i7 will hit 60C.. doesnt even have to be full load.. this is why hyperthreading and IMC's on a single chip sucks..

You seem to forget that it's a 130W TDP processor so it will invariably run hotter than others (such as the LGA775 CPUs). The chip is made to handle these high temperatures and anything under 80*C load is safe.

And I was running 125W TDP processors quite a while ago. Never let load temps get over 60c, even when heavily overclocked on air.

I still think it has to do with power leakage.

How can something that is rated 130w run that high of temps at stock speed when previous stuff running just as high or higher wattage and higher voltage runs a lot cooler?

Something doesn't add up.

According to this: http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

The processor in my sig is sucking down a little over 192w. And I NEVER see full load temps over 62c.

So yeah.... either the i7 has power leakage issues compared to the Core 2 or they actually use a LOT more power than they are rated at.

Or maybe most heatsinks just suck for i7.

How can something that is rated 130w run that high of temps at stock speed when previous stuff running just as high or higher wattage and higher voltage runs a lot cooler?

What doesn't add up is your understanding of the relationship between heat and temperature. Specifically, a CPU that produces more heat won't necessarily run hotter, and vice versa. The temperature levels of i7 CPUs are the way they are by design. They are meant to run that hot, it is not at all harmful to the CPUs to run under those conditions, and it is perfectly normal. And whether or not you are comfortable with those facts, that is simply the way it is. Intel would never be so foolish as to release a product that would end up damaging itself under normal operating conditions, so that in and of itself should be enough proof that there is nothing wrong with i7 chips running at high temperatures.

What doesn't add up is your understanding of the relationship between heat and temperature. Specifically, a CPU that produces more heat won't necessarily run hotter, and vice versa.

Could you clarify this? Something producing more heat but not running hotter sounds like a contradiction to me.

And I was running 125W TDP processors quite a while ago. Never let load temps get over 60c, even when heavily overclocked on air.

According to this: http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

The processor in my sig is sucking down a little over 192w. And I NEVER see full load temps over 62c.

So yeah.... either the i7 has power leakage issues compared to the Core 2 or they actually use a LOT more power than they are rated at.

Or maybe most heatsinks just suck for i7.

theres a big.. REALLY BIG difference between the i7 and your 125w TDP processor..

1 its running 4 cores with a total of 8 threads.. breaking each core into 2 threads..
2. the i7 has an IMC added to it.. unlike all other intel processors.. which equals a ton more heat.. aka why amd processors tend to run hotter then intel processors..
3. the IMC used in the i7 is far larger then the IMC used on an amd processor..
4. the i7 uses a true quad core processor now.. so 4 seporate cores.. unlike the intel C2Q which uses 2 dual core processors on a single Die..

all of this adds up to more heat.. just because its only using 5W more power.. doesnt mean anything.. wattage doesnt equal total heat output.. with the i7 you are now cooling all the cores plus the IMC.. which before the i7.. the IMC was located in the northbridge on the chipset of the motherboard.. thus why lga-775 board northbridges run well over the 50C range at full load when overclocking..

for example.. an amd athlon 64 clawhammer 3200+ has a TDP of 80W roughly(cant remember the exact number, i may be off a little).. yet at stock speeds.. it runs hotter then a x2 6400+ @ 125w TDP.. 1 primary reason.. its stock voltage is at 1.45v which is .25v higher then the x2 6400+.. this equates to the reason it runs hotter.. even though the x2 6400+ is running 2 cores at 3.2ghz compared to the A64 3200+ that is running a single core at 2.0ghz

voltage=heat..

yeah.. zero.. i know your going to correct me on my math equation.. lol..but i like to keep things simple..

Could you clarify this? Something producing more heat but not running hotter sounds like a contradiction to me.
Heat is the absolute amount of power released into a system by an object. Temperature is a measurement of heat flow between objects (ie: two objects at the same temperature won't conduct heat to each other because they have the same rate of heat flow). Temperature depends not only on the heat produced, but also on the materials in question, and on the way that heat is dissipated. So the temperature depends on things other than just the heat, which is why it can vary even between different objects that produce the same amount of heat.
wattage doesnt equal total heat output..
TDP stands for Thermal Design Power. That number directly represents the heat output of a CPU. So yes, wattage does really equal total heat output. But again, that doesn't necessarily affect temperatures.

Another thing to consider is that Intel and AMD measure TDPs differently, so a 125W AMD chip and a 125W Intel chip might not actually release the same amount of heat. Intel tends to rate their CPUs more conservatively than AMD, meaning that their CPUs run farther away from their TDPs, although in practice the difference isn't huge.

Heat is the absolute amount of power released into a system by an object. Temperature is a measurement of heat flow between objects (ie: two objects at the same temperature won't conduct heat to each other because they have the same rate of heat flow). Temperature depends not only on the heat produced, but also on the materials in question, and on the way that heat is dissipated. So the temperature depends on things other than just the heat, which is why it can vary even between different objects that produce the same amount of heat.

TDP stands for Thermal Design Power. That number directly represents the heat output of a CPU. So yes, wattage does really equal total heat output. But again, that doesn't necessarily affect temperatures.

Another thing to consider is that Intel and AMD measure TDPs differently, so a 125W AMD chip and a 125W Intel chip might not actually release the same amount of heat. Intel tends to rate their CPUs more conservatively than AMD, meaning that their CPUs run farther away from their TDPs, although in practice the difference isn't huge.

yeah.. thats why i made sure i used an amd only example.. so the numbers match..

Okay, I ditched the zalman and bought a v8. 10c temp drop right out of the box, and the tmi isn't even 'baked' in yet. Thanks guys.

Edit:

Oh, and I changed the stock fan for a Scythe.

Last edited:
Back