Is 500GB SSD too much for Win10, Drivers, Antivirus, etc..

3WAYsplit

[H]ard|Gawd
Would a system with either of these storage setups be overkill?

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD (Win10, Drivers, Antivirus..)

Seagate Desktop HDD ST4000DM000 4TB (Media, Games, etc..)

or

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD (Win10, Drivers, Antivirus..)
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD (secondary programs..)

Seagate Desktop HDD ST4000DM000 4TB (Media, Games, etc..)

I was originally planning on the first setup. But I may end up with the second. How well each one would work?

Would the two SSD setup work ok? I'm not interested in a RAID setup.

Really depends on what "etc" is...

Without the "etc" you could install it on a 60GB SSD..

Really depends on what "etc" is...

Without the "etc" you could install it on a 60GB SSD..

The 4TB HDD will be used to store and play video & audio files, games, media burning programs, media editing programs. Mostly programs & files that don't need to be accessed at SSD fast speeds.

For just base OS + utility/productivity type programs 250GB is even overkill a little bit. You'll see some benefit in load times from graphically intensive games that load a lot of textures with an SSD, i fill most of my 500GB SSD boot drive and a 500GB SSD storage drive with those. Ultimately it depends how much you want to store i guess.

For just base OS + utility/productivity type programs 250GB is even overkill a little bit. You'll see some benefit in load times from graphically intensive games that load a lot of textures with an SSD, i fill most of my 500GB SSD boot drive and a 500GB SSD storage drive with those. Ultimately it depends how much you want to store i guess.

I agree.

I have a Samsung 250gb SSD for my boot drive with Win10, drivers, applications (some quite large like AutoCAD), etc. and only about 80-100GB is being used.

Get the 500 and use it for your games as well. No reason not to... Save the spinner for video/audio files.

Option 1, though you don't need 500gb for os and apps, 120gb-256gb is enough.

120-256 is more then enough, as long as you keep the "etc" on the hard drive.

Put your games and programs on the SSD. Only use the HDD for storage of music and pictures and videos.

Back