is 2560x1440 too much for a r9 290x?

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
i was noticing something wierd about my new video card. it cant fully handle 2560x1440 at full candy is some games.... is 2k too much for a 290x or i am doing something wrong?

2560x1440 its still too much for any single card. you will have to lower AA levels and few other settings to be over 50FPS and playable levels... also depend on the game, what games are you testing?

Most games you should be able to max out no problem, but games like crysis 3 or metro LL probably not, it would be playable but not pegged at 60 fps.

My slightly oc'ed 290x chruns through everything i throw at it. It won't get 60fps on everything at max, but it'll get it on most. It has been playable at max though (>30fps).

So it will be enough, but I guess it depends on what frame rate / level of eye candy you want. For me, >30 is enough, while for some, they need at least 60.

A.) It depends what games you are talking about, every game is different and performs differently.

B.) It depends on what quality settings you are trying to run said games at.

C.) It depends on what framerate you are targeting as playable.

You can make any game run fluidly on a 290X with the right settings.

what if i got a 2nd card?

game: crysis 3

i heard that the 980 gtx wont be as fast as the 780ti. will 2 290xs be better than a single 980?

For 90% of games you would be fine at that resolution with a single 290X.

For the other 10% (Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Metro:LL, Tomb Raider, etc) you will probably want a 2nd 290X if you are shooting for =>60fps.

i heard that the 980 gtx wont be as fast as the 780ti. will 2 290xs be better than a single 980?

its this a serious question?...

even if the 980 its at the same level of performance than the 780TI OF COURSE 2x 290X will be way faster than a single 980.

for crysis 3 for sure you need to drop some settings and live with 2x SMAA and probably motion blur and you will be at some good playable levels more or less 45-50FPS.. if you want to be locked at 60FPS with more AA levels then a second card is required.

even if the 980 its at the same level of performance than the 780TI OF COURSE 2x 290X will be way faster than a single 980.

not its not "of course", stop misleading people,

Crossfire or SLI is only better in games that support it not to mentions that it doesn't work out of the box

try it with Witcher 2 or Total War games as an example

not its not "of course", stop misleading people,

Crossfire or SLI is only better in games that support it not to mentions that it doesn't work out of the box

try it with Witcher 2 or Total War games as an example

What do you mean it doesn't work out of the box? Of course it works, you just slam in the second card and install the driver and crossfire will be enabled by default.

And you dare say stop misleading people?

At higher resolutions and AA settings a single 290x probably will be the same as a 980 not to mention two 290xs.

And first tier AAA games usually support multi gpu setups. Rome is a CPU bound game, and Witcher 2 is an old game, that you can run maxed out with a single card easily. I played it maxed out on my 5850 I had at the time. So it's quite of a mute argument.

If we talk about misleading all the unfounded negativity and trash talk towards multi gpu setups kept me away from SLI and crossfire for years. When finally I reluctantly jumped in it was nothing like I expected. It ran smoothly and flawlessly and scaling was great. Don't believe the naysayers, they probably never even owned multi gpu setups in their lives, or they base all their trash talk on a single bad experience from way back when. Or worse on heresay.

Last edited:
What do you mean it doesn't work out of the box? Of course it works, you just slam in the second card and install the driver and crossfire will be enabled by default.

A game needs to support crossfire its not something that just magically works
More that not you will be playing with one card

SLI/Crossfire is an luxury product and as such handled by gaming devs

A game needs to support crossfire its not something that just magically works
More that not you will be playing with one card

SLI/Crossfire is an luxury product and as such handled by gaming devs

The support its given by the card manufacturer in this case Nvidia or AMD, so as soon devs grant access to their game, the manufacturer can make a Xfire/SLI profile.. gaming dev does not make the game support or not multi GPU setup at most they can add features to multigpu setup from uber heavy games like crysis 3 to even more regular games like adventures of van helsing.. it seems that you have never used any SLI/Xfire setup and you don't know how easy in fact is.. probably the most problems come to the AMD side with long time to provide any Xfire profile after the launch of a game.. but man.. actually they are making a good job at least with 290/290X even making to work better and smoother than nvidia.. i've used Xfire and SLI setup since a long time ago and its nothing too horrible as you point..

For 90% of games you would be fine at that resolution with a single 290X.

For the other 10% (Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Metro:LL, Tomb Raider, etc) you will probably want a 2nd 290X if you are shooting for =>60fps.

This^

Many/most of the games I play disable Crossfire anyway and I run 2560x1600 just fine. I would be nice if Crossfire worked and I got a 25% frame rate bump but what can you do? It's not like I paid for it to work or something.

This^

Many/most of the games I play disable Crossfire anyway and I run 2560x1600 just fine. I would be nice if Crossfire worked and I got a 25% frame rate bump but what can you do? It's not like I paid for it to work or something.

Araxie are you reading this ?

and no im not saying CF is "horrible", but people need to know what thy re getting into
before thy buy two gpus and expect them working out of the box for double the speed

I use a single R9 270 at 1440p and it works fine. Depends how many options you want enabled and what games you play. Hell I played BF4 just fine at 4k with a single GTX 660.

The support its given by the card manufacturer in this case Nvidia or AMD, so as soon devs grant access to their game, the manufacturer can make a Xfire/SLI profile.. gaming dev does not make the game support or not multi GPU setup at most they can add features to multigpu setup from uber heavy games like crysis 3 to even more regular games like adventures of van helsing.. it seems that you have never used any SLI/Xfire setup and you don't know how easy in fact is.. probably the most problems come to the AMD side with long time to provide any Xfire profile after the launch of a game.. but man.. actually they are making a good job at least with 290/290X even making to work better and smoother than nvidia.. i've used Xfire and SLI setup since a long time ago and its nothing too horrible as you point..

At least half, if not more than half the games I play don't support multiple GPU's. Not everyone plays the same games, but I do agree that more recently support has been generally good and painless to get SLI/CF working.

I'm using a 4k monitor with a 290x, and while there is some slowdown in demanding games, the majority stay at 30fps or well above with all settings highest.

At this point, I can certainly deal with lowering a setting or two for >30fps in 2-3 games while I wait for the next round of shortly-incoming GPUs. After 10 years of having multi-GPU setups, the cost, driver issues, frame stuttering of SLI/Crossfire just isn't worth it for me anymore.

my MSI 7970 Lightning (r9 280x in modern lingo), can happily handle 5760x1200, so i'm sure your 290x can handle a piddling 2560x1440.

my MSI 7970 Lightning (r9 280x in modern lingo), can happily handle 5760x1200, so i'm sure your 290x can handle a piddling 2560x1440.

nope, just no.. i think with happily handle you mean with lower most settings to get acceptable framerate at 1200P surround...

nope, just no.. i think with happily handle you mean with lower most settings to get acceptable framerate at 1200P surround...

Back when I had a 7970 it did 1200p surround just fine as well. I played through borderlands 2 with that setup on high settings, easily got 50fps average. Just because YOU want everything maxed out with a minimum frame rate of 100+ or something doesn't mean everyone on the planet thinks the same way. Since you aren't actually qualified to tell anyone else how to play their games, you might as well give it a rest.

i was noticing something wierd about my new video card. it cant fully handle 2560x1440 at full candy is some games.... is 2k too much for a 290x or i am doing something wrong?

You simply need to read some reviews of the R9 290X.:eek::eek:

Look at the games.
Look at what the reviewer used for game settings.
Look at the framerates the reviewer got.

Explain "full candy".

This is an easy solution. You can also just read the [H] review of the release R9290X and it's follow ups. [H] always uses 2560x1400 in it's reviews.

20nm is when single cards starts to unleash the power.
even though at 5040x1050 which for me means I can run diablo 3 maxed out with a single 290.
still I have no issue lower settings for the smooth fps I want in other games and Mantle helps with that in the games it supports.

I wont go dual crossfire/sli as its just not good enough for me.

so all out single cards isnt enough today and wont be with 20nm either.
it be better but pushing that number of pixels is a lot for any single solution the near future.

Back when I had a 7970 it did 1200p surround just fine as well. I played through borderlands 2 with that setup on high settings, easily got 50fps average. Just because YOU want everything maxed out with a minimum frame rate of 100+ or something doesn't mean everyone on the planet thinks the same way. Since you aren't actually qualified to tell anyone else how to play their games, you might as well give it a rest.

yes, borderlands and what more? im talking generally not by only 1 game.. i can say mass effect 3 run at 100+ FPS in surround but that game its ridiculously light, pretty difference to compare it to tomb raider 2013, hitman absolution, BF4, and so on.. thats why i never like to give 2 or 3 game as example but in a generally way speaking, from light games to heavy games... and actually for recent games a single 280X its weak for gaming with high settings as even have a very hard time to keep modern games at playable settings for 2560x1440, 5760x1200 its way more heavy.. im using actually a 280X that i was using in a 2560x1600 monitor and some games are really way heavy to play with this card and be above 50FPS... i simply like to keep settings as higher as possible even if i have to sacrifice AA and other minor things..

I'm using a 4k monitor with a 290x, and while there is some slowdown in demanding games, the majority stay at 30fps or well above with all settings highest.

At this point, I can certainly deal with lowering a setting or two for >30fps in 2-3 games while I wait for the next round of shortly-incoming GPUs. After 10 years of having multi-GPU setups, the cost, driver issues, frame stuttering of SLI/Crossfire just isn't worth it for me anymore.

I feel the same way. I have 2 R9 290x's in my rig right now running a single 2560 x 1440 screen and I have Xfire turned off because it still causes too many problems. A single 290x is more than enough at this res and I am probably going to sell one of them or both depending on what team green shows up with in a few days.

One 290X will not give you 120FPS in all games, so it is not enough. Consider either getting two 980s or two 290Xs.

If you play demanding games like bf4 then a second 290x at that resolution will be required if you want to run over 60fps.

When R9 290s came out 2560x1440 was achievable @ 60fps but games have either;

1. Come a long way
  2. Become shittier and shittier console ports with very littlie optimization to run properly on pc

Just as others have said dual r9 290s is recommended for 25x14 on AMD cards for the more recent games on the market.

Back