Is 23-24 inches still the sweet spot for most PC gamers ?

I will say this, after using the 34" ultrawide, my 23" monitors seem really really small now.
The 34 was overwhelming large when I first got it, but after using it for a few days it feels great.
I personally don't think I will ever go back to a 16:9 monitor as a main screen after using 21:9 for the past 7 months.

QFT. I was on a pair of 24" Ultrasharps before trading up to 34"/21:9. Took only a few days to adapt, and I'll never go non-ultrawide now.

QFT. I was on a pair of 24" Ultrasharps before trading up to 34"/21:9. Took only a few days to adapt, and I'll never go non-ultrawide now.

I did use the LG 25" 21:9 first to make sure I would like the shape, and I did.
The 25" is pretty short though but the width made up for it.
lg%20monitor%201.jpg

are you operating from a couch then i take it, or a command centre? Probably a couch im guessing. Maybe im overstepping.. Guessing can be a bad habit.. I think the sweetspot, though some ppl will say it's too small, it's probably like you suspect, in the 24" range for a single task, operating at efficiency, for competitive gaming. But thats, apparently, not what the majority wants to buy. I think you arnt unlucky, you got the big 27" 1080p for your video watching, and the 1440p you can learn to live with, hopefully for many tasks, certainly better than a 40" tv. There are some advantages to go with disavantages of that size too.. Desktop warrior, make some adjustments go own some couch potatoes. Or make your return. I hope you got a good backlight. But anyone trying to read text on a 40 inch screen is being counter productive, at any distance, in terms of reading productivity. There are a number of ppl who concur with this in different ways in this thread you've created.

Everyone who cant stand it that small, doesnt know what they are doing. Unfortunately money talks, and what may be the ideal size will get shafted if it will please the majority. Same old story.
11698922_10155981064575221_3387237546065365891_n.jpg
Not sure if you were responding directly to me, but your post followed mine and you seemed rather critical 40" 4K TV as a solution. I sit about two feet from my monitor; definitely not on a couch. I'm a writer and work with huge documents. I always have 8-10 windows on-screen at once which is infinitely easier on a big screen. The text clarity on my 40" is outstanding, equal to 1440p on a 27". It's not in any way counter-productive, as you claimed. And, gaming on this beast is incredibly immersive. Not saying 40" 4K is for everyone. As I wrote, I think this is a personal preference issue.

I really do like the idea of an "all in one" where you could use a good TV as both TV and monitor.

I'd probably try a 40 inch Sammy myself but sadly I am one of those people that are sensitive to PWM so that's out for me.

The thing that kept me away (along with the price) is there arent a lot of games that really support 21:9. Take out the ones that just stretch the image and there are even less. I have no doubt that in the future pretty much all games will support it but for right now its a headache. Especially since I play a lot of older games like Mass Effect, Crysis, Dead Space, Arkham Asylum and some others more than I play newer games and I know those wont support 21:9.

Still, I think 21:9 is the future and is the perfect size screen for PC gaming.

The thing that kept me away (along with the price) is there arent a lot of games that really support 21:9. Take out the ones that just stretch the image and there are even less. I have no doubt that in the future pretty much all games will support it but for right now its a headache. Especially since I play a lot of older games like Mass Effect, Crysis, Dead Space, Arkham Asylum and some others more than I play newer games and I know those wont support 21:9.

Arkham Asylum supports 3440x1440 21:9 with no stretch. In the Menu it says 3440x1440 16:9 but it's 21:9 in game.
batman-arkham-asylum.jpg

Like other games, the cut scenes are 16:9 so there are black bars on the sides during those.
I don't have Crysis, Dead Space, or Mass Effect installed so I can't test those right now.

I think many posters are hijacking this thread. And i don`t know why. Maybe some ppl cant stand the though that others might not like their display? "i like mine, i like mine, i like mine" This thread is statedley not about, "do you like a large display", or "do you like your display", or "post your large display and comment on how you love it". I suggest, forum member, you pay attention and respect the thread topic. Many ppl here are making great contributions being surrounded by spam.. like Odellus reply for example, there are a whole bunch of others, which contribute to the topic.. being buried, by "i like mine" completely off topic, and maybe some have withheld due to clutter.

Were here to identify if others are taking issue with 27"+ displays in use, not if ppl like them, or if ppl don't take issue with them. The op is looking to find if other ppl feel the same way as he does, like after use, and share the same or similar experience and findings, not if they feel differently. We already know ppl will like their displays, that many people will feel differently, that is why companies make and sell said units people like. This is known. The thread asks do other people also not like using larger then 24" screens on the desktop regularly, or in some way, or take issue with the implementation of screens above 27". See the difference? Why have you strayed off topic, without identifying possible issues which support the ops concern? Now in all my experience for certain tasks and daily operation i also prefer a display smaller than 27"'s and find it more effective. I find 27" strenuous at distance, op and others, at close, i find it troublesome and annoying. This is what this thread if for, identifying issues, not the contrary.

As I agreed, op and others, maybe try what me an Zepher have suggested and move your display closer, but i guess, since you say you`ve already played around with it... I assume you've probably done so? Or maybe try dmonkey's suggestion to move the display at 2ft. But were both offering the same supplementary user advice.

@ Zeph, You might want to adjust your brightness of the room and your display. i didnt say anything, but since you keep promoting it, and it keeps being pictured the game pictured looks terrible, unbearable to me, pictured. In both displays, weak. But primarily the first, with the videogame. It may be the capture or my calibration.. on another, uncalibrated display, with weaker black, the issues are less apparent. The lighting on the movie in pic2 looks terribly replicated, polarized highlights, symptomatic of lcd`s weakness handling light un-addressed, so bad, might also have problems handling the resolution fed.. not sure, real bad. like is it an interpolated feed, i hope? Have you ever heard of late model plasma or oled? Many of my ips and pvs displays look the same, with light, polarized contrast, not wysiwyg. But again maybe it`s the video picture... Maybe it's just our interfacing, but let me show you, what i see, and why i cringed when i see your game.
11257938_10155987475270221_4602508946460560332_n.jpg

now my pics is compressed lots, because im not using my personal webhosting for here..
That AG. Bland. is it ips? I don't know if you can see the difference, since your definition of black, from my perspective, looks so, off black. You might not be able to see the difference. Like the menu area, i hope that isnt supposed to be black. I originally shut my mouth cause you seemed happy, but this keeps getting spammed....

@tyler i should have added again, for the "certain tasks" I was earlier referring.. I take no issue with a 40" display. I use one myself every couple of days, as I've said. Basically just saying many ppl use their 40" displays from a couch and think its productive. Which is a joke, to some other members! :D I also said use a smaller display at close range. I find my eyes work better there, just seems more effective for some tasks, to me, as well. That maybe this is what the op and others are finding. But the fact that you have and like your 40" 4k display, and find uses for it, has nothing to do with this thread. And steers the thread off topic. Of course many ppl like, and can find a use for their new big screen display. We've all been there. Were here to see if others with different sensibilities than yours, apparently, take issue any issue with the use of a single larger display. To see if there is a case that a smaller display is more effective for some applications, not lambaste the possibility..

Last edited:
Jacorby, people are going to continue to throw your posts back in your face if you fill them with voluminous, pontificating streams of consciousness. Read up on how to write a concise, structured argument.

What display do you use, by the way?

No it isn't 24" is too small 27" 1440p is nice, 32" 1440p is a bit big for the res, I would say a 29-30" at 105+ DPI would be perfect as a PC monitor.

30" OLED 0ms lag 110 DPI 144-288hz Gsync ULMB, I would sell an organ for that.

27" right now, but even that is starting to feel too small for me sitting about 2.5' away. PPI still comes into the equation for size, though. Around 100 ppi would be optimal, so 24" is fine for 1080p. I want at least a 40" display for 4k. A 45-50" 21:9 4k (5040x2160) display would be amazing.

those were just snapped with my phone and it doesn't look washed out or have hot spots in real life.
The screen is IPS, not the best gaming screen since it's only 60hz, but I like it.

And Crysis only has 1600x1200 as the max res in the game so the game is stretched a lot.
and Mass Effect won't start up for some reason. A window pops up then disappears quickly.
Got Mass Effect running using XP mode and that only has 1280x960 as the max res.

Last edited:

You do realize that 27" @ 1080p and the quality of it plays a large part in whether or not people will feel that 24" is still the "sweet spot".... 27" @ 1080p some people love to game on and do not feel the pixel density is a turn off. While this might not directly answer the OP question, it does have a place in this discussion. 27" @ 1080p is completely different than 27" @ 1440p and SHOULD be discussed in a topic like this.

Maybe you are just a bit too full of yourself though. I myself have been debating what to do. I love gaming on 24" @ 1080p but I also love the clarity of 27" @ 1440p. I feel for FPS games, 24" @ 1080p is the way to go but 27" @ 1080p has me interested.

21:9 is not the future, it is ugly framed embrasure view from the past. Virtual reality is the future, and IMAX like experience of 40" UHD sets is the first step towards it.

Last comment/question from me, I've read a few times now that people have commented that for desktop use 27" 1440p helps a lot and is very noticeable, but when it comes to gaming compared to a 27" 1080p in game difference is much less noticeable and why is that ?

Whoever said the difference is less noticeable clearly has some bad eyesight because 27 inch 1080p vs 1440p in games is a pretty noticeable difference. No amount of anti aliasing or super sampling is going to make up for having less pixels. 27 inch 1440p vs 4k in games I found there to be a less noticeable difference besides less jaggies, probably because most games today simply do not have textures that really take advantage of 4k.

Back