Is 2077 finally worth playing?

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Before 2077 launched I was pretty excited for it, but I didn't buy it immediately and the more it was reported to be a hot mess I stayed away. Fast forward to now, I'm tempted to pick up a cheap GOG key and play it, but are most of the kinks ironed out? Is the game still a buggy mess, or can it... for the most part, be played without issues? Understandably any massive game like that is going to have issues, but from what was being reported over the last year it sounded pretty bad. Most of the issues I witnessed on YT were the graphical ones, but then I have heard there's some game killing quest bugs etc. I am still fairly excited to give it a try though so is the $40 worth it? and have the numerous patches made it ok/good/great/amazing?

Honest answer? For most people no. There’s a very lengthy thread here for the game including the changes after the recent patches. Everyone but the die hards said… don’t waste your time yet. It needs some more work before it’s worth really sinking time in to.

What are the main issues right now with it? quest bugs? or graphical?

There is a whole thread on the game.

Cliff notes: Its fine from most who have played it, bugs are largely not game breaking and that was before all the patches. I would assume its more stable. Never had a game breaking bug myself and I beat it twice, completioned once.

There is a group of people that want something else, what that is varies from individuals, but the game didn't live up to their expectations and they expect major changes. The game isn't perfect, but its far from as bad as most critics vocalize, its a great romp for 100hrs but the gameplay holes do appear (poor police response, lack of real choice, generic mission design, etc). It is much less likely those issues will be dealt with as developers rarely overhaul so much of a game, more likely some DLC may round out a few things.

What are the main issues right now with it? quest bugs? or graphical?
Mainly immersion-breaking glitches.
There was a scene in the beginning when your character meets the buddy at the road side cafe, they sit down to eat and in background cars on rails go crashing thru barriers and walls.
And after a while you notice that all traffic is on the rails, pedestrians are just a random procedural-generated peoplw that wander around aimlessly.

You can finish the game, that's not an issue. I guess people expected more and it turned out a toe deep lake instead of a deep ocean.

Honest answer? For most people no. There’s a very lengthy thread here for the game including the changes after the recent patches. Everyone but the die hards said… don’t waste your time yet. It needs some more work before it’s worth really sinking time in to.

There is a whole thread on the game.

Cliff notes: Its fine from most who have played it, bugs are largely not game breaking and that was before all the patches. I would assume its more stable. Never had a game breaking bug myself and I beat it twice, completioned once.

There is a group of people that want something else, what that is varies from individuals, but the game didn't live up to their expectations and they expect major changes. The game isn't perfect, but its far from as bad as most critics vocalize, its a great romp for 100hrs but the gameplay holes do appear (poor police response, lack of real choice, generic mission design, etc). It is much less likely those issues will be dealt with as developers rarely overhaul so much of a game, more likely some DLC may round out a few things.

Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a go then. From everything I've heard about it, I was weary to pay full price, but seems you can get cheap GOG keys now so I'll give it a shot.

I can understand how for some people it didn't meet their expectations, or they expected a certain game, and so that crowd will be far more vocal. As well the critics and reviewers. Games as big as Skyrim, Red Dead 2, and 2077 will always have bugs due to their sheer size and complexity, but I'm just looking for the "overall" experience now that were 6-7 months past release. I can live with some bugs, but when I heard a while back the world felt dead.. yeah that was a put off. A game can look amazing but if the world doesn't feel alive, or choices are non-existent or few and far between then it becomes a drag to play. I was looking forward to it since I did play the Witcher 3 and liked it, as well 2077 looks preeettttty.

if you waited this long then no point rushing to play it now...I would wait for a few more patches mainly to see if they add any gameplay improvements

And after a while you notice that all traffic is on the rails, pedestrians are just a random procedural-generated peoplw that wander around aimlessly.
From what I've heard the NPC system is the same as The Witcher 3's with only minor changes.

From what I've heard the NPC system is the same as The Witcher 3's with only minor changes.
Prior to 1.23 patch it is way worse. NPCs were generated on the fly in your vision range, you could look away for a second, turn back and they were all different all of a sudden. Same with the cars.
Sometimes the game would spawn hundreds of the same random NPC.

Absolutely yes. It runs beautifully if you have the hardware, looks gorgeous, and most importantly it's fun. Sure some of its systems are underdeveloped, and you might occasionally T-pose nude out of the roof of your car, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. I played well before the recent slew of patches and there was nothing game breaking then. I assume it's only better today.

Prior to 1.23 patch it is way worse. NPCs were generated on the fly in your vision range, you could look away for a second, turn back and they were all different all of a sudden. Same with the cars.
Sometimes the game would spawn hundreds of the same random NPC.

I never noticed that, but car traffic was like that on some roads. Particularly outside of the city in the desert. Road would be empty, but in the distance you see a full road of cars. They keep disappearing as you drive on so the road is perpetually empty around you. Or was. Not sure how it is now, haven't played in around 6 months.

I'm waiting until they release the definitive edition with all the DLC and all the patches, which means at least a year or so out, like the Witcher 3 GOTY edition they released.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
Same, I cannot speak for the console experience, but I had no game breaking issues even at launch. Graphical glitches, absolutely, like the T Pose one, or walking past an npc and turning around and they are gone.

The game play was fun, the story is well done.

As most are saying who actually played the game, and not just shouting in from the sidelines, it was worth playing when it released. It's not as brilliant a game as we were hoping, but still great.

Yes it had lots of bugs. I played from day one, so I've seen the worst of it, but those were gone by January. In hindsight I made the right decision not to wait, the updates are minuscule and not even always positive imo since January. Like the one reducing draw distance.

I finished the game twice, once buying all the cars and doing all side missions, and checked out all endings except for the secret one (the criteria for that is something I just can't stomach).

I got over 170 hours in the first play through about 6 months ago. I want to play it again, but I am not doing so until I see how the patches advance. The biggest changes I want to see are the AI (they need to be more difficult and smarter) and little things here and there like the cardboard cutouts of cars in the distance.

Sometimes it is worth the wait. Horizon Zero Dawn is a great example. It was a near disaster when first launched on PC. I finally bought it after 6 or 8 months worth of 10+ patches, and the game is great. I finished it with not 1 freeze or graphical glitch.

If I was in your position, and I had plenty of other games to play, I'd wait it out for it to be improved further. They have not abandoned the game at all, and they are continuously coming out with patches. And each main patch has a massive list of fixes.

Sometimes it is worth the wait. Horizon Zero Dawn is a great example. It was a near disaster when first launched on PC.
That's something I hear repeated as well but can't understand. I had a few days off when that launched on PC and played through it entirely in a few days and it was fantastic. I think I remember having one crash to desktop in the whole playthrough.

That's something I hear repeated as well but can't understand. I had a few days off when that launched on PC and played through it entirely in a few days and it was fantastic. I think I remember having one crash to desktop in the whole playthrough.
I get really scared of console to PC games vs games that are released on console and PC at the same time. I guess 2077 kinda broke that rule now lol. So I waited it out and read many of threads on the Steam forums, saw pictures of glitches people were seeing, saw the patch notes as they rolled out, etc. Yeah I played it safe with HZD, but I also had other games I was immersed into at the time. I probably wouldn't have had any issues or maybe only had minor issues (gaming pc not used for everyday junk), but I figured I would play it safe.

People over exaggerate what a disaster is, HZD was fine at launch with some FPS issues and anisotropic filtering didn't work right (iirc). CP2077 was largely fine on PC at launch with some graphical glitches and much less common game breaking bugs.

No one watches traffic moving along normally, but if there's a car crash everyone will stop to look and take photos, its the same with games these days only now you can share those photos for clicks, likes, and potential monetization.

I don't know if the gameplay of CP2077 will ever be addressed, at this point it seems more like a change for a sequel (there's a stand alone multiplayer at some point maybe) rather than a change of the already released game. Maybe they will pull a NMS and overhaul everything, but I doubt it.

You waited this long why not wait to see if they fix it further? It should be even cheaper then and have expanded DLC.

Back