Is 2008 shaping up to be a dry year for PC gaming?

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking at the upcoming releases, and outside of Far Cry 2 and Left 4 Dead, there really isn't much that looks too appealing or "Must Have". Anyone else feel the same way?

I can't think of anything I'm looking forward to at the moment. Luckily I have a ton of games from fall that still need to be played.

Sins of a Solar Empire just came out... so 2008 seems to be starting off with a bang :)

Spore is supposed to be sometime in '08, likely towards fall/winter though.

Warhammer online is going to be '08

There's some other stuff I'm looking forward to as well... but can't remember it this late XD

Conan MMORPRG
Warhammer Online
Spore
Dawn of War Soulstorm
C&C 3 Kane's Wrath
Left 4 Dead
Far Cry 2
Turning Point Fall of Liberty
Stalker Clear Sky
Sacred 2
Fallout 3 (supposedly 2008... we'll see)

Probably plenty more I'm forgetting. Not really as huge a year as 2007, but there is still something for everyone.

I'm getting my new computer tomorrow so I've got a lot of catching up to do on games from last year. Out of all the games that came out last year, I only got to play Bioshock.

I'm hoping Starcraft 2. Its an old time favorite.

2007:
Bioshock
Crysis
Orange Box ie TF2
COD4
UT3
C&C 3
World in Conflict
Gears of War (I never played it on xbox)

These are just the games I have or played that I consider good. I have Stalker but first impression aren't so good. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

If StarCraft 2 releases this year, then that's all I'll need.
I'll play Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2, as well as catch up on some games I've yet to complete, until that releases.

If StarCraft 2 releases this year, then that's all I'll need.
I'll play Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2, as well as catch up on some games I've yet to complete, until that releases.

I was just about to say no one mentioned SC2? Although seeing as how it is blizzard, probably another year or two before it shows up on the shelves.

Project Origin
Far Cry 2
Stalker : Clear Sky

I don't need anything more than those 3 games for 2008, and I will be happy.

If we get DNF this year, all the better (not expecting it).

-Far Cry 2 (though I doubt we'll see it this year)
-Project Origin (been waiting for this forever, but it's been way too long and I'm almost losing interest)
-Left 4 Dead (very excited for this)
-Assassin's Creed (should be good)

I was looking at the upcoming releases, and outside of Far Cry 2 and Left 4 Dead, there really isn't much that looks too appealing or "Must Have". Anyone else feel the same way?
No. Spore, Starcraft 2, Wrath of the Lich King, and Fallout 3 are all going to be huge titles. Additionally you've got titles like Alan Wake and Borderlands that show huge potential, tons of expansions (STALKER, C&C3, Galactic Civ 2, Supreme Commander, I could go on and on), Conan and Warhammer finally challenging WoW's domination, the possibility that Dragon Age may make it out this year, great ports like Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, and great indie titles like Subversion. And if you're not already playing Sins of a Solar Empire then shame on you, probably the best strategy game since Rome: Total War in my opinion.

No. Spore, Starcraft 2, Wrath of the Lich King, and Fallout 3 are all going to be huge titles. Additionally you've got titles like Alan Wake and Borderlands that show huge potential, tons of expansions (STALKER, C&C3, Galactic Civ 2, Supreme Commander, I could go on and on), Conan and Warhammer finally challenging WoW's domination, the possibility that Dragon Age may make it out this year, great ports like Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, and great indie titles like Subversion. And if you're not already playing Sins of a Solar Empire then shame on you, probably the best strategy game since Rome: Total War in my opinion.
Looks to me like 2008 is shaping up to be an excellent year.

Starcraft 2
Sins of a Solar Empire (this is a MUST have title)
Spore?

How can we possibly assert things about year 2008 until its over, we're only a month in?

2007 for example was a great year for gaming, it just wasn't spread evenly over the year and all happened to all turn up in Q4

There are plenty of high quality titles in the pipeline, some have been mentioned here already.

No need for a flood of titles. Fallout 3, Clear Sky, and maybe StarCraft 2 for me. The rest I can wait to pick up when they are 20 or 30 bucks.

Of course, the 3 titles I'm eager about are likely to slip...

GTA:IV (all the info on how it's turning out speaks for itself)
Mercenaries2: World In Flames (great fun akin to the first one, but better)
Far Cry 2 (looks to be good)
Prototype (definitely! looks to be turning out to be killer from all aspects)
Dead Island (finally scheduled for '08; 'bout time we had a real fucking zombie title!)
Dead Space (looks dark/twisted as shit; as long as it hits by the end of this year)
Fracture (definitely looks innovative in all of it's destruction; hoping it does hit late this summer)

So, those are the "must-have" titles for me. It's a decent list, giving that all of these titles actually make it out this year and they end up being worth a shit.

I haven't heard of anything else for '08 that peaked my interest, and not much else has really been announced (yet) for this year. We'll see what happens. Perhaps more will crop up at some point soon.

So, those are the "must-have" titles for me.
I assert that no title can be a "must have" unless you're 99% certain that it will be worth playing. A sequel in a series from a reliable developer might count, but have some risky innovative titles there that I haven't even heard of!

Well, I'm not much of an MMO gamer since my free time is rather limited. If I pay a monthly fee for a game, then I feel I have to camp out on it for hours to get my money's worth. So Age of Conan and Warhammer Online are out for me.

I've been on the fence with Sins of a Solar Empire. Will have to give that one another look. I totally forgot about Spore and Starcraft 2 though. *smacks head* Gonna have to pass on C&C3's expansion unless they release a "gold" version for cheap though. COH has kind of spoiled me on RTS games.

I guess I should look at picking up a couple titles I didn't play in 2007 - Bioshock & Stalker

Fracture (definitely looks innovative in all of it's destruction; hoping it does hit late this summer)

Must be. According to LucasArts:

Fracture™, the new IP from LucasArts and Day 1 Studios. "Groundbreaking" in more ways than one, this 2008 blockbuster utilizes technology only possible on the Xbox 360™ and PLAYSTATION®3

lol.. seriously..

Doesn't look like the best year for RPGs. Then again, those years are past. :( Hopefully Fallout 3 will make it all better.

I've been on the fence with Sins of a Solar Empire.

Same here. Turn-based is great, RTS not so much (personal preference).

EXCLUSIVES:

STRATEGY:

Sins of the Solar Empire
Starcraft 2
Empire: Total War
SPORE
Disciples III: Renaissance
Panzers: Cold War
Jagged Alliance 3
Heroes of Might and Magic Kingdoms
Demigod
Society
Cities Unlimited
Worldshift
Perimeter 2
Multiwinia
Europa Universalis Rome
Spaceforce : Captains
Napoleonic Wargame
Supreme Ruler 2020
Hegemony: Philip of Macedon
Jutland
Field Ops
Seven Kingdoms: Conquest
HistWar: Les Grognars
Sudden Strike 3
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Soulstorm
Anno 1701: Sunken Dragon
Celtic Kings2

ADVENTURE:

Gray Matter
Vampyre Story
Nikopol: The Carnival of Immortals
Dracula 3
Mata Hari
Sherlock Holmes versus Arsène Lupin
Still Life 2
Alternativa
So Blonde
Dracula: Origin
Simon the Sorcerer 4
Machinarium
Perry Rhodan
The Whispered World
The Path
Ankh 3: Battle of the Gods
Resonance
Penumbra: Black Plague
Love
Treasure Island
Art of Murder: FBI Confidential
Blackwell Convergence
Cassius Pearl
Secret Files 2
Abbey
Heaven
Overclocked
Memento Mori
Nostradamus - The Last Prophecy
Experience123
The Lost Crown: a Ghosthunting Adventure
Dead Mountaineer Hotel
Kaptain Brawe
AGON: The Lost Sword of Toledo
Mozart
Sinking Island
Juniper Crescent - The Sapphire Claw
Dreamfall Chapters

RPGs:

Dragon Age
King's Bounty: the Legend
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Dropship
Afterfall
Reluctant Hero
Space Siege
Hard to be God
Mount and Blade
Not the Time for Dragons
Legend: Hand of God
Age of Decadence
The Broken Hourglass
Seeker
Avernum 5
Mysteries of Westgate
Guild Wars 2
Ragnarok Online 2
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Pirates of Burning Sea
Warld of Warcraft: Wrath of Lich King
Dragonball Online

PUZZLE:

Subversion
Overflow
Democracy 2
Cosmic Osmo's Hex Isle
World of Goo
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Crazy Machines 2
Katamari Online

ACTION:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Ground Branch
Enemy in Sight
Far Cry 2
Natural Selection 2
Tomboish Witches
Captain Claw 2
Global Agenda
Hammerfall
Chrome 2
Lone Wolf: Flight from the Dark
Kwari
Zeno Clash
Gish 2
FinnWars 2
Audiosurf
The Spirit Engine 2
Ascension
Fireteam Reloaded
King Solomon's Treasures
Alien Swarm: Infested
Cryostasis
Cletus Clay
Eduardo The Samurai Toaster
Face wound
Savage II: Tortured Soul
Black Sky
They Hunger: Lost Souls
Armada Online
Limbo
Collapse
American McGee's Grimm
Americas Army

SIMULATION:

Storm of War: Battle of Britain
Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark
Jet Thunder
Fighter Ops
Jumpgate Evolution
Infinity: The Quest for Earth
Universe Online
Microsoft Train Simulator 2
Knights of the Sky
Silent Hunter 4: U-Boat Missions

RACING:

Live for Speed S3
FiRST RACING
ARCA Sim Racing
Turismo Carretera
MOTORM4X

MULTIPLATFORM:
Mafia 2
Fallout 3
Frontlines: Fuel of War
The Crossing
Heavy Rain
Sacred 2
Rise of the Argonauts
Project Origin
Project Offset
Alan Wake
Elveon
Blood Bowl
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Legendary: The Box
Bionic Commando
Operation Flashpoint 2
The Secret World
Interstellar Marines
Totems
RAGE
Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway
Splinter Cell 5
Assassins Creed
Command and Conquer 3: Kanes Wrath
Agency
Fracture
Left 4 Dead
Lord of Creatures
The Club
Mercenaries 2
Strike Force Red Cell
Rogue Warrior
Galtrix
Borderlands
Armed Assault 2
Lost
Untitled Junction Point Project
Precursors
Age of Conan
Devil May Cry 4
Commanders: Attack
White Gold: War in Paradise
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Necrovision
Huxley
Alone in the Dark 5
Braid
Everyday Shooter

2008 Games if you want pictures. The list may be a little out of date now.

A dry year? Maybe if you need a new game everyday, your going to have to play some games two days in a row, but it looks like there are going to be more games than I'll ever be able to get around to playing.

Maybe no games with revolutionary graphic. But with the amount of demos released this week, I think a lot of good games are coming for 2008. I'm very impress about the work of small studios. Imperium Romanum demo is impressive, but I'll wait for review before buying it. The demo had some glitch and I wonder if it's going to be fixed for the release at the end of the month. Penumbra: Black Plague demo was good too, for 20 bucks, I think it's going to be worth it.

Look like pc gaming is changing, not dying. We can also so see some good console games going to PC.

To not count all the free mods these days. Insane what we can get for free now. I don't think a mod could give me 60 hours of fun like for bf2142 but if it give me just 5 for free, I take it.

these threads are just as annoying as the PC gaming is dying threads...

All I need to point to is the fact that Steam has 15 million users and its yearly revenue was up 158%. Companies in a dying industry don't have revenue that is up 158%.

PC gaming is not dying. 2008 is not a dry year. Just because your range of interests is narrow does not mean there is a dearth of games coming out.

these threads are just as annoying as the PC gaming is dying threads...

All I need to point to is the fact that Steam has 15 million users and its yearly revenue was up 158%. Companies in a dying industry don't have revenue that is up 158%.

PC gaming is not dying. 2008 is not a dry year. Just because your range of interests is narrow does not mean there is a dearth of games coming out.

Well excuse me. No one asked you to click the link and act all holier-than-thou. At no point in my post did I even suggest that PC gaming was dying. The word "console" did not even appear. I've been PC gaming since the early days of Ultima and Chuck Yeager's original Flight Sim. They can have my PC when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. I merely asked if the upcoming year was going to be lacking. In retrospect, it's not - it's probably that 2007 was just such an excellent year that 2008 may pale in comparison.

Back