Is 10nm worth the wait?

budafied

Gawd
I'm rocking an Ivy Bridge build with a 1060, and I'm looking budget-wise at upgrading the Mobo/CPU/Ram this fall around Black Friday. I just read that the next gen of Intel won't be released until 2020. Is it worth sticking out for an additional 6 months to get the 10nm Ice Lake in 2020? Is there some monumental change in the architecture or performance? Will they be on a new socket?

As far as the iGPU is concerned, I don't think anyone knows when their in-house solution will come out. Don't know for the rest.

In my opinion it really just depends on how it boost clocks and OCs.

Rumor has it AMD may be seeing some significant increases to their clocks which may reach close to what Intel is currently offering.

If Intel is able to see a similar boost in clocks with 10nm, then they will still have their lead. If it is another Broadwell then it could very well clock the same or dare I say worse.

Hard to say right now. Either way, it would be wise to wait and see what Intel and AMD can do with their upcoming node shrinks before making an investment on their current offerings.

Get one of their 10nm laptops then. Its slower, hotter and has no igpu because of defects through the roof..
My money is on AMD, I have a feeling there will be some crying 9999kxyz owners in coming months.
Intel will eventually come back but we might be looking at years.

I'm waiting for Ice Lake which will hopefully come out late this year...the Spectre/Meltdown silicon fixes alone should be worth it

Rumor has it AMD may be seeing some significant increases to their clocks which may reach close to what Intel is currently offering.

If Intel is able to see a similar boost in clocks with 10nm, then they will still have their lead. If it is another Broadwell then it could very well clock the same or dare I say worse.

Hard to say right now. Either way, it would be wise to wait and see what Intel and AMD can do with their upcoming node shrinks before making an investment on their current offerings.

Were not going to surpass much past 5ghz until we figure out a new Si formula/blend or a better material.

There are fundamentals of physics at play here.

The heat generated by switching in transistors is the main problem. If we can use something like graphene we may be able to far surpass 5 to 6ghz.

Si can do more but it's the heat that has to be removed fast enough for instance why do you think 6ghz is possible with ln2 cooling.

Caveat, I have limited knowledge so I could be wrong.

I'm waiting for Ice Lake which will hopefully come out late this year...the Spectre/Meltdown silicon fixes alone should be worth it

2020 at the earliest. We'll see another Skylake based refresh in 2019 to counter Zen2. I heard 10 cores somewhere on the internet today (not sure where...showed up in my Google feed on my phone).

At the bare minimum they need to fix their security holes, until then all considerations are off the table.
I'm saying this as someone up for an upgrade from a 6700K, AMD cant give me this until at least the next Zen and possibly not even then.
For now there is no upgrade path.

Why are you waiting? 10nm was out last year, just ask intel!
100% official and factually correct, because lying to investors is a crime ;)

2 cores, no igpu, lololololol

Nope not worth it.

They will probably add seven more +'s to the 14 before dropping the 10.

Were at 14 +++++++++++++++++ or so right now. In 2030 well be at 14x10(+)^16

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3502vs3958

6700k is junk with amd you get a stable socket am4 will span 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx +
Amusing.
Those scores are heavily weighted toward high core count and newer CPUs.
Single and quad thread results are better on the 6700K which matter most for gaming.
The 4 HT cores on top of that make the 6700K the better CPU overall for gaming.
AMD know this, thats why they are trying to make the next Zen compete on IPC which is what I am waiting to see.

Reactions: psy81
like this
Ive gone so long without upgrading that this just might be the year I pull the trigger.

Amusing.
Those scores are heavily weighted toward high core count and newer CPUs.
Single and quad thread results are better on the 6700K which matter most for gaming.
The 4 HT cores on top of that make the 6700K the better CPU overall for gaming.
AMD know this, thats why they are trying to make the next Zen compete on IPC which is what I am waiting to see.
There won't be any performance left after all the Intel security holes get hardware fixes. Though, that's not likely to happen as Intel knows this.

Can't disagree about intel processors being better at everything for the time being... Probably why I'm using them. Lol

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Ive gone so long without upgrading that this just might be the year I pull the trigger.
Thats what I ended up doing, I grabbed whats in my sig, I'll be especially happy with my decision if they just release a 10c/20t 14nm later this year like the rumors are stating.

Thats what I ended up doing, I grabbed whats in my sig, I'll be especially happy with my decision if they just release a 10c/20t 14nm later this year like the rumors are stating.

damn fine rig you have right there! Things like m.2 drives n stuff tempt me daily lol

damn fine rig you have right there! Things like m.2 drives n stuff tempt me daily lol
Thanks! Not sure if you saw the Fry's 20% off post, but I have one local and got the drive for $190 and the Corsair Dominator 16CL ram for $240, even with tax saved me over $100, was difficult to pass up.
This drive is insanely fast, I was expecting the NVMe of yesteryears that had slower boot and problems getting to speed.
its 7.4 sec startup and did 3528/3297 MB/s out of the box on samsung's test 3000/2750 MB/s on as-ssd, my only complaint is that it runs reaaaly hot about 50c on idle and in the 70c range for load.
Even though its probably rated for that and its not throttling its uncomfortably high, I'm gonna stick a thermal pad on the controller and see if that helps, if not enough a full heatsink.

That being said I spent about $1100 out of pocket on my core upgrade $530 for CPU from B&H (no tax), 467 for ram + SSD (w/tax), and $77+30 for the mobo & 10y warranty (had amazon gift cards to cover the rest).
Been saving the past 6mo, selling off my old parts, and eating rice/ramen at work to get to it :D.

Not to to hijack his thread but what about me, I am due an upgrade from my current x58. I don't know if I want to wait till next year for Intels 10nm. I can get a 9900k for 247 when it becomes available on the Intel Employee shop. Worth it? The latest I think i can wait is Zen 3 for IPC comparisions. But after that Don't think I can wait longer

From an X58, even an 8700K/2700X would be great. So it's really up to you at this point.

Not to to hijack his thread but what about me, I am due an upgrade from my current x58. I don't know if I want to wait till next year for Intels 10nm. I can get a 9900k for 247 when it becomes available on the Intel Employee shop. Worth it? The latest I think i can wait is Zen 3 for IPC comparisions. But after that Don't think I can wait longer
Dude you have your own thread on this already and most of the folks said go Intel if you're getting 50% off, the only consideration is which one, the 9900k is my recommendation.

Gaming that 6700K will beat AMD hands down
No processor today is junk. That Intel will wipe the floor with the current AMD lineup in gaming. AMD however, will wipe the floor with Intel if you use their processors for the CORRECT applications.

AMD happens to offer better growth value on the AM4 socket. So if your budget is tight, go AMD, you'll be able to upgrade that chip for at least two more generations on the same motherboard. Assuming your motherboard doesn't shit the bed first. Lol

Back