is 1.4v about normal voltage for 8700k 5ghz?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
just as the title says, is 1.4v about the normal voltage for 5ghz 24/7 OC for a 8700K and is that still in the safe range to operate without worrying about it?? Thanks

yeah, i was gonna buy that cpu from them, just checking first... is that a safe voltage for watercooling (real watercooling, not an AIO)

1.4v is totally fine. Honestly, for normal usage, even 1.5v is probably fine. What makes things unsafe(leads to fast degradation) is current draw over time, not voltage, so if your cpu is idle 99% of the time at 1.5v it's no big deal. If you are running a crazy synthetic avx workload 24/7 then 1.5v would definitely be unsafe, because that would push much higher than normal current through your CPU all the time.

$500 for a 5 GHz chip is pretty meh (72%), especially since all of those failed 5.1 GHz at 1.41V, which makes them pretty average.
You're basically paying a $100 premium for the delid and 1-year warranty since any 8700K you buy off the shelf is likely to match it in clocks.

Pretty average chip and mine is pretty average too I think? There are some 8700K owners getting 5 Ghz with under 1.3 Vcore but I don't think everyone uses the same stress testing method... like latest prime95 small fft for a few hours etc but most seem to be using Realbench for a few hours. Does anyone know what silicon lottery uses to stress test their chips?

You can probably expect mid 80s at those voltages using prime95, I hit high 70s/low 80s depending on ambient temp after 3-4 hours at 1.360. This is on a triple rad custom loop not AIO with my CPU de-lidded.

Seen a lot of people with >1.4v hitting 5ghz.

Mine needs 1.33v for stable 5ghz. 1.26v for 4.9ghz and 1.422v for 5.1ghz. Think it's an average chip.

That's a good chance you could start with 1.4v and work your way down to a sweet spot.

1.4+ is not good. Reduce voltage and / or frequency if you want it to last 1.4 at idle is safe but under full load its too much current (amperage) and can burn that chip up or degrade it over time.

CHances are you chip is good for less voltage but you just have too much load line opened up. Reduce your load line a little and see if you can still run with less voltage at the same frequency.

I will let you guys in on a little secret. A lot of guys are just getting the 7820x since ... you know ..... the cpu is $499 at Microcenter which Newegg will match which .... you know, supports Quad Channel Memory and ... well, you know ... has those 2 extra cores.

Motherboards are really not any more expensive.

HardOCP almost demands that you get hard with your PC and move on over to HEDT.

Really surprised to see anyone gushing over this CPU especially @ $500

I will let you guys in on a little secret. A lot of guys are just getting the 7820x since ... you know ..... the cpu is $499 at Microcenter which Newegg will match which .... you know, supports Quad Channel Memory and ... well, you know ... has those 2 extra cores.

Motherboards are really not any more expensive.

HardOCP almost demands that you get hard with your PC and move on over to HEDT.

Really surprised to see anyone gushing over this CPU especially @ $500
I got mine for $345 and I still wish I had waited a few weeks for the holiday sales on the 7820X. Newegg had it for $500 during Black Friday (no pricematch required).
ThreadRipper is coming down, too.

On the plus side I can put the money I saved towards a better GPU and feel a little better about it. But $100-$200 is inconsequential when you consider the lifespan of a CPU. :/

Ive Always been unlucky whenever i bought a cpu before. Always been getting crappy chip. This time around i got lucky with my 8700k. 5ghz @ 1.27 volts. Tried 5.1ghz with 1.28v and stable for 5 hours with prime 95.

Yeah 1.4v should be safe.

140w thermal - oweee

Sigh....tdp is for manufacturers and OEMs etc... not the customer like you.

You have been brainwashed like the masses of people on Hard forums to actually and wrongfully consider TDP as a buying condition sigh...

Ive Always been unlucky whenever i bought a cpu before. Always been getting crappy chip. This time around i got lucky with my 8700k. 5ghz @ 1.27 volts. Tried 5.1ghz with 1.28v and stable for 5 hours with prime 95.

Yeah 1.4v should be safe.

With respect to your opinion. There is zero need for 1.4v and its too high. 1.4v is 400mw over VID on average which is around 16 amps and is too much for long term use on such tiny circuit traces.

You can't run 16 amps on a house circuit without blowing a breaker much less 16 amps on a micrometer sized power line trace before causing damage. It just takes time and load. And voltage is not what matters on any wire, its current that causes fires and or destroys the pathway if its too high. Electrons are the same thing flowing through the sun or your house wiring your coffee pot a lightning bolt or your cpu.

Yes there are multiple power routes feeding that processor but physics and electronics law apply accross the board.

CPUs dont last long and maintain thier overclockability at such high amperage under load.

Im not sure how many amps combined all the power pins are pulling but I hear it's in the 40 to 70 amps range
That is waaay too much resistance and thermal load for micrometer and nanometer sized wires essentially to take for a long term.

So in essence sure it may be safe but for how long before degradation and it failure?

Last edited:
Id certainly be happy but from what others are saying

CkH9FaS.jpg

Watch out in today's emotional filled millennial crybaby politically correct 500 gender+ society you might trigger some gummy bear unicorn fairy child and get all of Hardforums shutdown with a meme like that.
Deservingly so for that 8720X.

With trial after trial my 8600k can do 4.8ghz rock solid at 1.2v. On air.

Cache isn't 3700mhz

I get a 215 single Core In cinebench r15. Ridiculous I know.

There is no need to run 1.4.

Back