IRS Alerts Payroll And HR Professionals To Phishing Scheme Involving W-2s

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Internal Revenue Service has issued another warning about tax scams, the second in just over a month. If this sounds familiar, this is exactly the same type of scam SnapChat fell for the other day.

The IRS has learned this scheme — part of the surge in phishing emails seen this year — already has claimed several victims as payroll and human resources offices mistakenly email payroll data including Forms W-2 that contain Social Security numbers and other personally identifiable information to cybercriminals posing as company executives.

I'm getting hit multiple times daily with an email which says the following:

Dear Client,

According to the reconciliation of the Department of Finance there are the arrears following your client account totaling in $356,62 .

We attach the last unpaid invoice #58333710 to this letter and kindly ask you pay it off until March 31, 2016.

Please check out the file and do not hesitate to pay off the debt. We look forward to your reasonableness.

It also has a java script zip file attached. Got to love the grammar! LOL The only thing that is different is the amount owed which seems to change from email to email.

I'm getting hit multiple times daily with an email which says the following:

Dear Client,

According to the reconciliation of the Department of Finance there are the arrears following your client account totaling in $356,62 .

We attach the last unpaid invoice #58333710 to this letter and kindly ask you pay it off until March 31, 2016.

Please check out the file and do not hesitate to pay off the debt. We look forward to your reasonableness.

It also has a java script zip file attached. Got to love the grammar! LOL The only thing that is different is the amount owed which seems to change from email to email.

We have gmail and some people are getting those in their spam folders. Google is blocking the attachments, which is nice.

I was asked the day before yesterday by HR what was going on, we are a small company and the wife of the owner is the HR manager. So, being it came from him...requesting all W2's and SS #s...she didn't bite LOL. But I'm sure others have. I really hate these F#%ks. Every day it seems I am asked about one email or another. Luckily we haven't been hit by many phone attempts, but our people are sma...informed enough, to ask me THANK GOD.

It's nice that they sent this out as alerts for increased phishing like this is generally welcome. I'd more like to know what they are doing to fortify their databases/security against cyber threats as they have been proven to been breached already and badly.

Back