Irdeto Launches Denuvo Anti Cheat

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Denuvo's DRM software is extensively used throughout the AAA gaming industry, but it's also been the focus of several recent controversies. Some have accused it of degrading performance in the games that implement it, while others claim it barely puts a dent in the piracy of more popular titles. But at GDC 2019, Irdeto, the company behind Denuvo, officially launched an "Anti-Cheat solution to protect against cheating in video games and esports." They claim it combines game agnostic machine learning algorithms with "the latest hardware security features offered by Intel and AMD" for maximum effectiveness. All that sounds relatively hardware intensive to me, but Denuvo claims their technology has "no impact on the gameplay experience and its non-intrusive reporting methodology ensures the developer's workflow is never impacted." Denuvo didn't mention any specific customers in the press release or their product datasheets.

However, they did publish a somewhat cheesy video ahead of the launch, which you can see here.

Unlike other products, Denuvo Anti-Cheat operates on the binary, not the source code and integrates directly into the product build process. It also does not interfere with debuggers, instrumentation tools, or profilers and it does not require APIs or SDKs. This means fewer tools for the build engineers to manage and for developers to install.

The video is really stupid. A guy shows up with a fast car, and beats everyone. I saw nothing there that indicated cheating. I was expecting one of the cars to start glitching and appear ahead, or something to slow down or mess with the others cars, but no. Apparently driving a superior car is cheating? If it was established that this was an x class car only race or something, ok, but this isn't the kind of cheating gamers are generally concerned with. Aimbots, ammo and health cheats, wall hacks, etc are the things that need to be stopped.

All that sounds relatively hardware intensive to me, but Denuvo claims their technology has "no impact on the gameplay experience and its non-intrusive reporting methodology ensures the developer's workflow is never impacted."

Yay, free lunch. Oh, wait...

It doesn't unless you're a pirate. Hahahahahah.

You have that backwards.

Denuvo claims their technology has "no impact on the gameplay experience

amazing that they can say that with a straight face
Just like when StarForce claimed their DRM has no effect on optical drives
But as for cheating, as long as it is only enforced on multiplayer games. Not single player.

Last edited:
Why not just pony up and go full frontal with this. Make your DRM a full blown crypto miner, and if a person isn't mining, they are a pirate! Or they could be a minor who pirates because they have no money. Either way DRM sucks, its pointless, and needs to go the way of the Dodo. Except for the cool code-wheels or the manual checks... those need to comeback cause they were kind of fun.

Denuvo claims their technology has "no impact on the gameplay experience

amazing that they can say that with a straight face

Sure it will impact gameplay experience. But look at it this way. How many aimbots can work effectively when they have to predict where an opponent will be after a 5 second delay? If you can't play the game, that does solve the cheating problem.

This sounds like "Police claim Tasers will leave you with a light tingling sensation." We've heard your claims before, and this just doesn't hold water.

Now granted I am not an engineer in any fashion at all.

How does Google and their email work to basically never get spam mail? (I might have got 5 marked as spam when not and 10 in spam over the course of 3+ years, hotmail multiply that x10k% at least)
could there be a relation to enable a similar zero "cheater" environment?

There has to be a better way than these #$%^ programs that often get in the way performance wise or have been very well known to prevent legitimate access which is never ever acceptable, period.

I be shot for saying this but try not to complicate something that should be simple but "bulletproof"

Core files such as stats for HP, EXP, contents of a players "stash" or their play stats etc can quite "easily" be hidden behind a rudimentary hash lock (that are by design only addressable by the server itself)
without supply the password no access, read not write, enough failed attempts at root access complete lock out (track IP of course)

I have a simple program here where you type a word,
example Purple
it spits out a hashed number up to 256biit (for the one I have) take a few runs of the program (which can be software driven) that 256 can be easy 1024+ level encryption, which can of course be further "tweaked" to give variables the average "hacker" or brute force attempt can be virtually prevented everytime (dont give the damn keys to everyone lol)

anyways.... tiny password when user makes account, say my name Dragonstongue
would spit out the initial 256bit hash number etc .. There are ways of keeping things dirt cheap and crazy simple with a tiny bit of effort and yet these multi million / billion $ companies (including banks and such) with their thousands of years and billions of man hours combined cannot secure simple programs and collectively have "lost" trillions in damages.

give me a #$% break

LOL :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back