ircok 6260 mechanical-like keyboard

ranviper

[H]ard|Gawd
So. I have been recently desiring to purchase my first mechanical keyboard. However, I am a poor college student, and as I was browsing for a cheap mech board, I came across the i-rocks 6260 gaming keyboard, claiming to have the same feel as a mechanical keyboard, yet still being a rubber dome board, using "POM rubber dome plunger style" switches. At 20 bucks, I had to give it a shot.

Now, a little bit of my personal keyboard history. I am not terribly experienced as far as mechanical keyboards go. I have used blue switches on the razer BWU, and liked it, and I have used a couple of the old IBM and Dell keyboards that used mechanical switches, but I havent used very many mechanical boards. I have had many apple keyboards, scissor switch and not, and my most recent keyboard was a Logitech G510 gaming keyboard ( I loved it. )

That being said: Here is a picture of this boards unique switch, followed by my review. :D
2337717774.jpg

The packaging this board came in was nice, but very standard. Nice solid cardboard box, packed away in the newegg packaging, which is generally very nice. The board was also wrapped in some plastic covering, protecting it nicely.

When I first got it, I was actually surprised, it has some decent weight to it. The board itself is pretty solid feeling. Makes my G510 feel cheap. The board weights 740 grams, and it's dimensions are 440x136x26mm. Small and solid. I like it so far.

The keyboard itself has 4 modes. General, which is just as it says, general. But it also has 3 "gaming" modes, which are really nothing special, except they do disable the windows key, which I am grateful for, but the other feature simply just turns up the key repeat rate. Not really sure how that will help in any games...haha.

It's your standard layout, but with a large enter key, and small backspace. I don't mind so much, but this may be a deal breaker for some. As far as typing goes. Well, WOW. Of the few mechanical keyboards I have typed on, this does have an incredible mechanical feel. For those who aren't so obsessed that they could guess which switch the keyboard is using just by feel, it would certainly be difficult to tell that this is a dome board. The sound is obviously a bit quieter, but that's ok with me. I'm not one for super clickly boards.

Lets just say this board has convinced that my next board will certainly be a mechanical board. It's an absolute dream to type on. But, it may be a while before I feel the need to buy a new board, I'm loving this so far!

Here are a few pics.

001auv.jpg

002nmg.jpg

004xbv.jpg

005wm.jpg

006ikx.jpg

007yr.jpg

008nu.jpg

009hm.jpg

010cix.jpg

Last edited:
If not, I may have to drop 15 more bucks on the white version of the board, as I would like the white keycaps! Haha.

The caps look VERY similar to the ones used on Cherry's ML switches.

You probably could swap caps off a board using ML switches, but the question would of course be "Why?"

The caps look VERY similar to the ones used on Cherry's ML switches.

You probably could swap caps off a board using ML switches, but the question would of course be "Why?"

I just want some WASD key caps and an ESC key. Love the look of the plain board, but I want something to switch it up, make it a little more "gamer" if you will. :p

That being the case, you know anywhere I can buy cherry ML caps? I'd like to test this theory.

I just want some WASD key caps and an ESC key. Love the look of the plain board, but I want something to switch it up, make it a little more "gamer" if you will. :p

That being the case, you know anywhere I can buy cherry ML caps? I'd like to test this theory.

Ebay, Geekhack.org, or the Deskthority forums.

My recommendation would be to grab a used Cherry board (MX) for cheap, and then buy a set of WASD keycaps. Used Cherry boards can be had for cheap (Seriously, around $10-15), stems and springs can be changed to have a different switch (including stem/spring combos you cannot buy), and you'll have virtually unlimited options for caps.

If you like a tactile bump, with no click, I'd suggest MX brown, or clear.

If you're dead-set on trying ML caps with the dome board, again, best bet is going to be a used ML board off of Ebay, or one of the forums mentioned above.

Ebay, Geekhack.org, or the Deskthority forums.

My recommendation would be to grab a used Cherry board (MX) for cheap, and then buy a set of WASD keycaps. Used Cherry boards can be had for cheap (Seriously, around $10-15), stems and springs can be changed to have a different switch (including stem/spring combos you cannot buy), and you'll have virtually unlimited options for caps.

If you like a tactile bump, with no click, I'd suggest MX brown, or clear.

If you're dead-set on trying ML caps with the dome board, again, best bet is going to be a used ML board off of Ebay, or one of the forums mentioned above.

Thanks for the tips man. Yeah I will definitely look for all of the above. I am getting rather excited about trying out some of these mechanical boards. It's my first time making the "switch" -- See what I did there? :p

The dome board I have coming is vert intriguing though, and I will post a review after I get it and use it. :D

KB came in today, I will get a review up with some pics this evening.

Back