Iran To Sue Google Over Dropping Persian Gulf Name

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like how Iran is claiming Google will face "serious damages" if it doesn't restore the name of the Persian Gulf on Google maps. To prove they are serious, someone is no doubt photoshopping a picture of missiles to send to Sergey and Larry. :rolleyes:

The threat comes after the famous search engine left the body of water between Iran and the Arabian Peninsula nameless on its online map service. Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast says that if Google does not restore the name of the Persian Gulf, it will face "serious damages."

tumblr_l5n0t7giG41qagwggo1_500.gif

consequences will never be the same

Why does Iran care? Aren't they suppose to have their own "Internet" soon anyway. When they release their own map service they can call it whatever they want to...

Google needs to issue a one sentance response to Iran in-re their complaint:

"**** you, **** the camel you rode in on........and **** your little dog too."

I think most of the world is pretty much in a "Fuck Iran" mood right now. I don't see this going far.

I'm sure Google really cares about Iran - a country whose already professed for the desire to produce their own completely censored and internal internet. What are they going to do anyways? Take them to court in Iran?

The United Nations officially calls it the "Persian Gulf".

The UN can go spork itself too. Who cares what they think? I'm all in favor of naming it The Gulf of Who Gives a Spork.

americans and their knowledge of the world hahah

You mean the people that invented the computer, and the internet - both of which you're using to criticize them with? Where are you from, exactly? Please say Europe, so I can remind you of how America had to save your asses twice because you don't play well with each other, and then criticize you for being imperialist before America was even a colony. :D

Personally I think Google should respond by renaming Iran "Douchebagistan" on all their maps.

They could then name the straight of Hormuz the douche nozzle.

The UN can go spork itself too. Who cares what they think? I'm all in favor of naming it The Gulf of Who Gives a Spork.

You mean the people that invented the computer, and the internet - both of which you're using to criticize them with? Where are you from, exactly? Please say Europe, so I can remind you of how America had to save your asses twice because you don't play well with each other, and then criticize you for being imperialist before America was even a colony. :D

great jokes man, gotta love your schools :D

Come on man, as much as dgz is a complete fucking idiot, have you never heard of Alan Turing or Tim Berners Lee? Saying one country is responsible for the computer or the internet is utterly absurd. Especially since the internet we know today came about through development by the U.S. Military, Academic Research Institutes and CERN.

ok, im gonna bite

oh the irony, spoken Like a true American

im guessing you never heard of Charles Babbage then? also know as a Father of Computing? yeah....didn't think so, he was a Brit.

And please don't get me started on the wars, the reality is, at least in Europe, Americas greatest involvement came in the form of Goods shipped to us, which we paid through the nose for until relatively recently as it happens. In terms of strategic value, you Didn't save the UK, we had already done that before you got involved, but its quite likely you HELPED the rest of the continent, of course if you had listened to us on Russia things wouldn't have gone so badly after the war plunging Eastern Europe in to darkness for the next few decades, but that's another matter altogether.

And my final point, unless you happen to be Native America, it was that Imperialism that created our colonies, ergo, you wouldn't have existed without us and our troublesome ways :)

Why does Iran care? Aren't they suppose to have their own "Internet" soon anyway. When they release their own map service they can call it whatever they want to...

Wait... I thought Iran was cutting the cord and making their own internet. What's the problem?

They're making their own internet network, I expect the content will have been siphoned off of the real internet. They're not going to make their own mapping service, they're going to steal google maps/earth and rebadge it.

They're making their own internet network, I expect the content will have been siphoned off of the real internet. They're not going to make their own mapping service, they're going to steal google maps/earth and rebadge it.

If they have the ability to do that, I'm sure they can Photoshop in whatever name they want for the body of water.

So this is just basically attention grabbing bitching. Congratulations, Iran. Now everyone hates you. More.

Would all of your indignant royal majesties care to get off your moral high-thrones and get back on topic rather than continue this ignorant nationalist flame bashing?

/popcorn! This is going to be interesting. yea what could Iran do? Block google? As other says they are going to have their own intranet so not like that would really matter.

Why can't Google just put both names on the map with like a slash or something?

Or would they just complain if their name isn't before the slash?

I don't know, "Parkinglotistan" seems like a name Iran might consider taking on in the future. Don't those silly people remember Google bombs?

Well that didn't take long. Iran v Google went America vs the World where its hard to bet against back to back world war champs

'MERICA!

Perhaps that should be on their plate in the next Arab League meeting with Iran as guest (Iran is not a member, but every other country bordering the Gulf is) - coming up with an official name for the Gulf for cartography purpose. Problem solved. It's really that simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League#Member_states
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Provinces_-_Arab_League.PNG

The Islamic Republic swiftly banned the National Geographic Society from selling its publications here or sending journalists into the country.
Islamic Solidarity Games cancelled over Gulf dispute
Iran to ban airlines not using the term 'Persian Gulf'
TEHRAN - The Egyptian pavilion was shut down at the 23rd Tehran International Book Fair for offering a book promoting the false, misleading and recently-concocted name of Arabian gulf
etc

not really that simple, but it's just a name and what they should solve is the Abu Musa Island Dispute Between Iran and the UAE.

Back