Iran Sentences Alleged Video Game Developer ‘Spy’ to Death

HardOCP News

[H] News
Iran has sentenced an American video game developer to death for allegedly spying for the CIA. The man's family says he is not a spy and that he was just there to visit family. :eek:

A U.S.-born man who appeared to confess on Iranian state television last month that he allegedly spied for America—actions that supposedly included doing work for a video game development studio purported to be a CIA front—has been sentenced to death by the Iranian government.

Basically they're rounding up anyone with dual citizenship, one being the United States and accusing them of spying for us. It just reeks of desperation especially the part where they denied the Swiss Embassy from visiting this guy.

Anyone surprised here when the US openly commits acts of terrorism and sabotage in their country? Who's to say this guy isn't a spy anyway. You have to be a complete retard OR on the payroll of the US Government to be in Iran.

Personally I don't think this guy is a COMPLETE retard. Just retarded enough to be a spy for the US.

If you are an American in Iran, I say tough shit. Your dumb ass should not be there in the first place.

I have little sympathy for any US citizen that "visits" Iran, gets in trouble, and expects their government to come to the rescue. Iran is a hostile nation. Does no one going to these countries understand this?

Whatever happened to those hikers that lost their way?

I have little sympathy for any US citizen that "visits" Iran, gets in trouble, and expects their government to come to the rescue. Iran is a hostile nation. Does no one going to these countries understand this?

They all came home after much "demanding" and the Prez of Iran wanting to show his "humanity" to the world.

You have to be a complete retard OR on the payroll of the US Government to be in Iran.

There's no "visiting kin" option? :rolleyes:

His name is "Amir Mizra Hekmati", but some people here are considering him an "American"??? THE NERVE!!! :eek:

Let this just be a lesson. Stay the fuck out of this savage, barbaric country especially if you're living in America or one of her allies.

They got "pardoned" aka bribe and released after serving 2 years in prison. As I've said, they're rounding up anyone with American citizenship and charging them with spying on Iran because they can.

Basically they're rounding up anyone with dual citizenship, one being the United States and accusing them of spying for us. It just reeks of desperation especially the part where they denied the Swiss Embassy from visiting this guy.

Not saying he should be sentenced to death at all. But the chances of him working for the CIA are pretty high. He's served in the marines from 2001 to 2005 and was a contractor for the military after that.

At least I think we're talking about Amir Mirzaei Hekmati, I haven't read this article. And this is the first I've read anything about "video game developer"

Any American in Iran right now has balls of steel or brain damage.

Not saying he should be sentenced to death at all. But the chances of him working for the CIA are pretty high. He's served in the marines from 2001 to 2005 and was a contractor for the military after that.

At least I think we're talking about Amir Mirzaei Hekmati, I haven't read this article. And this is the first I've read anything about "video game developer"

Any American in Iran right now has balls of steel or brain damage.
Hussein Farrah Aidid, son of Mohamed Aidid (responsible for the Black Hawk Down), was in the United States Marine Corp would qualify as a spy then.

If the guy really does have a grandmother in Iran and he was arrested in the same freaking town as his grandmother, I'm going to chalk it up as "Not a spy" but rather desperation by Iran as a way of trying to fight back against the United States.

Exactly. If you go to a hostile nation and get hurt or captured then it is completely your fault.

All released. Girl was released for humanitarian reasons and the two guys were released on bail as a humanitarian gesture.

Bigger question is why do three Americans go for a "hike" on the Iran/Iraq border?

Kurdistan (Iraq) is actually a pretty nice area and they do love American tourists there. There are also alot of scenic reasons to be there. The hikers were just outright incompetent idiots who should have known where they were.

http://anewscafe.com/2009/09/16/diana-sears-hiking-kurdistan-not-2/ is an example

Hussein Farrah Aidid, son of Mohamed Aidid (responsible for the Black Hawk Down), was in the United States Marine Corp would qualify as a spy then.

If the guy really does have a grandmother in Iran and he was arrested in the same freaking town as his grandmother, I'm going to chalk it up as "Not a spy" but rather desperation by Iran as a way of trying to fight back against the United States.

I didn't say that the military record makes him a spy. But the marine record matched with his background make him a good candidate for the CIA. He definitely has the aptitude.

Iran is far from having a fair judicial system, and I'm trying not to condemn the guy, but it doesn't really matter where he was arrested if he was involved in other nefarious acts while visiting his family. This is a sad turnaround when we found out he was arrested back in August. Iran has a history of accusing Americans of the same. And the heightened tensions in the region are likely why Iran is turning their usual torture catch and release 2 year program into a death sentence.

Bigger question is why do three Americans go for a "hike" on the Iran/Iraq border?

They didn't. They were in Iraq. The Iranians were marauders who violate borders every day to kidnap foreigners and others for ransom.

At least that's the story.

Having been to both Northern and Southern Iraq (army), I must say it is a beautiful country. I would imagine Iran is similar. You gotta be stupid to be there though.

Having been to both Northern and Southern Iraq (army), I must say it is a beautiful country. I would imagine Iran is similar. You gotta be stupid to be there though.

I'm certain it is. Used to be the Persian Empire, one of the most beautiful empire in ancient civilization. How the mighty has fallen.

What a bunch of loud mouthed, ignorant, opinionated a-holes. Now I remember why I don't visit online forums much anymore.

He was born in the US, served our country as a translator, and was in Iran visiting family.
Can't any of you pricks read? How many of you have served your country?
How would you feel if things were reversed and the comments in this thread were aimed at you?

"Hekmati's mother has pleaded for mercy and says her son was merely trying to visit family in Iran and was not spying. "

Given the facts as you outlined, why would he think he would get some sort of free pass from the Iranian government? Even if he was there to visit a dying relative he MUST have know he was a target for just such an accusation / Anti-American operation by the Iranian government.

Her is just like those 3 hikers, he put himself into a situation he should have know better than to do so, and now the Iranians get to make political hay over this for the next how many ever years.

What a bunch of loud mouthed, ignorant, opinionated a-holes. Now I remember why I don't visit online forums much anymore.

He was born in the US, served our country as a translator, and was in Iran visiting family.
How would you feel if things were reversed and the comments in this thread were aimed at you?
The staff here don't read the articles they post...must less the membership. Its a on-going joke. Doesn't stop them from making full-retard ignorant comments about the article in question however.

You can go to and enjoy a lot of places in the world and not have to worry about much at all. BETTER GO TO IRAN.

Yeah gotta agree, some pretty ignorant comments in this thread. There are valid reasons to visit "hostile" countries, especially in the case when your family is from that nation. There are a lot of mouth breathers who never left the street they grew up on so I guess that sorta thing is expected.

They should return the video game developer because we freed their sailors from the pirates.

Also, don't visit family in Iran.

So the U.S just sits there and watch?

It's not as if he is one of the elite or anything. They stopped pretending to care about regular people ages ago.

Yeah gotta agree, some pretty ignorant comments in this thread. There are valid reasons to visit "hostile" countries, especially in the case when your family is from that nation. There are a lot of mouth breathers who never left the street they grew up on so I guess that sorta thing is expected.

I served, been to Somalia and Haiti. Can't say I'd ever go back to either. I feel no pity for anyone willing to voluntarily, as a civilian, put themselves in harms way in a country whose government is hostile towards Americans. Maybe I should take a bath in boiling oil and hope not to get burned. That's what this guy did, and he got burned. Doesn't matter if he was a spy or not. They're going to make an example out of him whether justice is done or not.

He should have saved his money and skyped with his family.

If he is was working for the government he knew the risks, if he is not a spy then he should know the risks of visiting a country who's government is hostile towards American citizens.

In either case he deserves every effort that can be made to get him released.

There are definitely many parts of Iran I would avoid, especially if I had dual citizenship. Unfortunately, the president (who isn't head of state) is a rabid propagandist. Places like Tehran are pretty culturally diverse and modern.

It's highly unlikely they will put him to death, it's just posturing to make themselves look strong in the face of opposition.

12.1.9 lota clerics in Iran, should be no problem getting a revive.

This is bullshit. Iran is a known evil government. Which is a shame b/c the vast majority of the people are nice normal folks who just want to live like the rest of us. They already tried to kick the punk ass bitches out of power but the military sided with the government, for now.

Release him. Stop fucking with the US or just go ahead and start the fight we all know is coming.

You will LOSE.

I served, been to Somalia and Haiti. Can't say I'd ever go back to either. I feel no pity for anyone willing to voluntarily, as a civilian, put themselves in harms way in a country whose government is hostile towards Americans. Maybe I should take a bath in boiling oil and hope not to get burned. That's what this guy did, and he got burned. Doesn't matter if he was a spy or not. They're going to make an example out of him whether justice is done or not.

He should have saved his money and skyped with his family.

10th Mountain Div?

hey, i served my country for 6 years in the army... my grandmother was in a hospice and i wouldn't visit her, NFW i'd go to Iran!

My parents emigrated from Tehran in the late 60's. We still have family there who I would love to see.

That said, you have to be a complete idiot to go and visit if you're an American (i.e. we can easily meet in Dubai instead). Kyle's post was spot on.

Wow, they're even more paranoid than we are. Paranoia, religious fanaticism and power make one hell of a shitty mix.

This is why religion should never mix with politics and the justice system.

Back