Iran Orders Social Media Sites To Store Data Inside Country

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why in the world would any social media site comply with these demands? I'm not saying Iran is extreme but you know they probably keep their social media servers in a prison cell.

Iran has given foreign messaging apps a year to move data they hold about Iranian users onto servers inside the country, prompting privacy and security concerns on social media. Iran has some of the strictest controls on internet access in the world and blocks access to social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, although many users are able to access them through widely available software.

I really wish we thought ahead and in it's conception kept internet free from government control. In fact I really wish we just thought about more than selfish policies and control.

So...wouldn't they just keep the servers inside Iran to follow policy but then just off-site a copy of said data defeating the purpose of having the servers within the country in the first place? Or do they control all outflow of data leaving the country? Do they block VPN's in Iran entirely?

"The council, whose members are selected by Iran's supreme leader"

Supreme Leader is a funny name. Don't care how powerful he is (as I'm not there).

cohen1-articleInline.jpg

Might have to check out that 'Telegram' app though. Is it better than 'Signal'?

Iran has plenty of reasons to not trust American companies.....mostly because they are American.

Don't believe all the propaganda. They are different then us, as is most of the part of the world. But their policies are not unheard of by any means. The middle east has just been doing "civilization" a lot longer then us. America....or rather the American government has been treating them like shit for several decades. But we make sure to cast them in a bad light to justify whatever we do.

I don't like the what if games, but what if Facebook, Twitter and Google moved ALL of their data out of America and told the US government they could not have any access to it? Do you think our government would be so loving of privacy and security? Keeping the monitoring (and monitization) of YOUR people within YOUR country is not a weird policy by any means.

So the British government is jailing kids for bragging about committing crimes, in Iran they kill you for saying certain things. If their courts want to see the data and it is in a foreign country how do they give them a lawful order to look at the data. I may not agree with some of their views but if you are going to judge some one based on data that is who knows where and who knows who has access to it... making them put the data where they can say this person did this, or this person data is accessible by hundreds of people... who knows what they will do, but stating that the data has to be within reach on their citizens makes sense.

It's easy, and fun, to make fun of countries like Iran. I'm not a supporter of Iran, nor am I detractor of Iran. The vast majority of Iranians want better relations with the West, and the World. They are just humans, folks who just want to get through their day, pretty much like you and I.

Before any of you get your panties all twisted up:

Yes, I am a liberal, hate on me, bitches.

I served, Honorably, in the United States Air Force, eight years. What have you done?

Oh, as a Bonus:

CIA-assisted coup overthrows government of Iran - Aug 19, 1953 - HISTORY.com

Back