iRacing Team [H]ardOCP Paints! Show Your [H] Pride!

Estimating how much would it cost to be a casual player? Racing a few times a week?

It doesn't need to be expensive. Let yourself get through rookie in one season (a calendar quarter). That's all included for the subscription price IIRC. Then decide where you want to go from there in D class racing. Do you want to go road or oval? Find a series with pretty good participation and active forums. Race in that series for a season or more. You can race two series if you want, but finding two that will allow you to buy the least number o f tracks. In other words, in series 1 you can race the first three weeks because you have those tracks. You don't have the week 4 track, so go to a different series that week that has a track you do own. If you decide to buy a few tracks and/cars, buy them at the same time. The more items you buy at a time, the bigger the discount. You definitely don't want to buy one item at a time.

Unfortunately, it's Week 13 right now, and the series that are available are nothing like the series that will be available when Week 13 is over (next Monday evening I believe). Wait until Week 13 is over before you buy anything.

you can get your foot in the door cheap $12 for 3 months to deciede if your into it.

It comes with 12 tracks and 12 cars, you'd be able to race all of Mazda cup season, Street stocks, Pickup cup, and Dallara Dash. Once you got beyond your rookie license you'd still be able to race most races as well over half of the tracks on those schedules are free tracks. Cars there include the Spec Racer Ford, Pontiac Solstice, multi class with mazda's and mustang(paid car, don't need to buy to enter the race in a mazda), legends on the oval and even more cars to test but don't have offical races like the old V8 supercar.

You can do alot with the free stuff, it's quite a bit of content, and its more than enough to know if you like iracing or not. If you do get into it hardcore it definitely gets expensive, but it doesn't have to be, plenty of fun to be had starting out.

Estimating how much would it cost to be a casual player? Racing a few times a week?

It's not how much you race, but what you race and where you race it that defines your cost. If you only race with the initial package, you can race 24 hrs a day for 30 days for $13 :) I swear there are people that come close to this !!!

Here's the secret... Wait for a 50% off sub sale. They happen all the time. Or a free for 15 days or whatever the hell they might be pushing at the time.

I renew once a year, but I do it during the yearly sale where it's 50% off. I am currently paid through 2019 by taking advantage of this.

If you buy multiple pieces of content at once, you get a percentage discount. If you buy just what you need, the cost really doesn't rack up very fast. It's manageable. Pick a series, stick to it, and it's not expensive at all. But you CAN go as crazy as you want too :)

I am what they call a 100%er. That means I own 100% of content available. Because of this I get a 30% discount on all content.

Now, this has happened over the last 11 years (I was part of the pre alpha, alpha and beta so I've been on it longer than most) and yes, my investment in iracing is very, very considerable.

Holy shit is it very considerable LOL

It's not how much you race, but what you race and where you race it that defines your cost. If you only race with the initial package, you can race 24 hrs a day for 30 days for $13 :) I swear there are people that come close to this !!!

Here's the secret... Wait for a 50% off sub sale. They happen all the time. Or a free for 15 days or whatever the hell they might be pushing at the time.

I renew once a year, but I do it during the yearly sale where it's 50% off. I am currently paid through 2019 by taking advantage of this.

If you buy multiple pieces of content at once, you get a percentage discount. If you buy just what you need, the cost really doesn't rack up very fast. It's manageable. Pick a series, stick to it, and it's not expensive at all. But you CAN go as crazy as you want too :)

I am what they call a 100%er. That means I own 100% of content available. Because of this I get a 30% discount on all content.

Now, this has happened over the last 11 years (I was part of the pre alpha, alpha and beta so I've been on it longer than most) and yes, my investment in iracing is very, very considerable.

Holy shit is it very considerable LOL

lol, awesome. Thank you guys a lot for the feedback.

MrMitch, AMG GT3??? Dude, that is one of my favorite racers! Awesome! :D

Reactions: Dan
like this
updated the ford fusion to 2016 specs. You'll have to find the paint and add it, it won't replace your current one if your uses the old fusion paint which doesn't work at all with the new body.

Reactions: Dan
like this
anyone still play this? thinking about buying it... Just got a g27 wheel

Absolutely. I've been down due to leg/back issues for a while now though.

anyone still play this? thinking about buying it... Just got a g27 wheel
All 3 of us endurance team people still race solo racing and do the endurance races. We just quit posting about it because the novelty of it wore off for most people and no one was watching the stream.

All 3 of us endurance team people still race solo racing and do the endurance races. We just quit posting about it because the novelty of it wore off for most people and no one was watching the stream.
Ive been using a TV diner tray stand thing to play dirt rally (the only game I have) and this set up is horrible. I bought the wheel at CEX (store) for 50 bucks and it was practically brand new. I posted it on the FS but Im kinda digging it. I dont have anywhere around me to really stretch the legs of my car (Monticello raceway is private or MEGA expensive, sucks) also my desk doesnt work either. Im going to give it some more time before I invest in a 300 dollar SIM seat setup. What do you guys use?

edit: its a g29 not G27

Ive been using a TV diner tray stand thing to play dirt rally (the only game I have) and this set up is horrible. I bought the wheel at CEX (store) for 50 bucks and it was practically brand new. I posted it on the FS but Im kinda digging it. I dont have anywhere around me to really stretch the legs of my car (Monticello raceway is private or MEGA expensive, sucks) also my desk doesnt work either. Im going to give it some more time before I invest in a 300 dollar SIM seat setup. What do you guys use?

My wheel is a Fanatec Club Sport V2 and my pedals are Fanatec V3. https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/

My sim is an Obutto Revolution http://obutto.com/gaming-cockpits/

Pics:

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

The other two have similar setups to mine.

That Obutto cockpit looks nice. Do you think there is enough adjustment that my 6'7" self could sit comfortably?
So I make myself sit as close to the pedals and wheel as possible like a real race car, so if you're like that, probably. If you prefer to be a bit further back, it might be a bit tight.

That Obutto cockpit looks nice. Do you think there is enough adjustment that my 6'7" self could sit comfortably?

If your tall or looking for something more adjustable, 80/20 aluminum profile tubing is the ticket. 4play Racing sells complete kits on ebay, cheaper than an obutto too.

Here's my rig. 80/20 rig and triple stand/Fanatec V2.5 wheel with formula and BMW rims, Huesinkveld Sim Pedals, DSD button boxes and shifter, and a bunch of other crap I don't tell my wife about

rig.jpg

Desk. No need to get fancy :)

Desk. No need to get fancy :)
The issue with a desk is fatigue can set in quickly due to the seating posture not being appropriate for the types of input needed with a wheel and pedals. If you don't do a lot of longer races then it might not be an issue.

So I make myself sit as close to the pedals and wheel as possible like a real race car, so if you're like that, probably. If you prefer to be a bit further back, it might be a bit tight.

If your tall or looking for something more adjustable, 80/20 aluminum profile tubing is the ticket. 4play Racing sells complete kits on ebay, cheaper than an obutto too.

Here's my rig. 80/20 rig and triple stand/Fanatec V2.5 wheel with formula and BMW rims, Huesinkveld Sim Pedals, DSD button boxes and shifter, and a bunch of other crap I don't tell my wife about

rig.jpg
You guys still Racing [H]cars? Have not heard much from y'all lately so we could get stuff up on the news page. :(

WTFG!

I thought it all came crashing down with some technical glitch. Did they still run the full race?

WTFG!

I thought it all came crashing down with some technical glitch. Did they still run the full race?
The top split was hit hardest. Ours wasn't hit too bad.

It definitely wasn't their strongest showing, but the top split that was broadcast by racespot was hit the hardest.

We did gain one or two spots with the troubles, but we look at it as those teams got a tire puncture. Shit happens!

The top split was hit hardest. Ours wasn't hit too bad.

It definitely wasn't their strongest showing, but the top split that was broadcast by racespot was hit the hardest.

We did gain one or two spots with the troubles, but we look at it as those teams got a tire puncture. Shit happens!

I bet those teams didn't look at it that way. ;)

Still, grats on a great result!

The new lighting on the cars looks fantastic!

Im late as hell to this party but having a lot of fun so far.

If I don't get out of rookie soon I'm gonna cry tho. Not that I'm super competitive yet, just hate being punted 12 times a race

Welcome aboard! Rookies is F'ing terrible but once you get out of it the racing improves a lot.

Also, I see all my pics are broken, Sigh

I’m actually taking a break from all racing games because of my leg issues.

I haven’t fired up iRacing in...... 3+ years. Shit.......

I haven’t watched a NASCAR race in 2 years, same for Indy except the 500.

At least a year for F1.

I dunno. I don’t really understand it. I just lost interest in racing, but not cars.

I think part of it is my utter disappointment in Earnhardt Jr.

Welcome aboard! Rookies is F'ing terrible but once you get out of it the racing improves a lot.

Also, I see all my pics are broken, Sigh

Thanks a ton for the liveries as well, I'm using the [H]ardOCP livery on every one I own that you've made one for hehe

What you going to race next? National has great participation but driving standards can be a bit like rookie, Late models are great but usually has a few guys in it that have mastered the car and will spank you. Legends is free and fun. Modified's are hard to get a race and when you do its a bunch of old coots who hate anyone new. Once you get to C class oval you can pretty much race anything, B and A class are nice but not super important.

What you going to race next? National has great participation but driving standards can be a bit like rookie, Late models are great but usually has a few guys in it that have mastered the car and will spank you. Legends is free and fun. Modified's are hard to get a race and when you do its a bunch of old coots who hate anyone new. Once you get to C class oval you can pretty much race anything, B and A class are nice but not super important.

For oval I'm leaning twords National, I like late model but the cost of all the short tracks is a little brutal, and at the moment anyhow I suck at driving the legends haha. Modified looks fun but as you said, it isn't very populated, so I'm not really wanting to spend money to not get a race.

For road I have no idea yet. Hoping to get my D license next weekend. Want something slow enough to learn on but the lack of grip in the mx5 is a struggle for me. Will probably do Skippy, but I also like multi class so the grand touring cup may be fun too, just dunno what car I'd prefer in it

Skippy is great, it's literally a car built for learning, and participation is really strong. GTC is fun in the solstice or Mustang, nobody drives the diesel mobile Jetta. Mustang is the only car on iracing where you actually need to use the clutch to get maximum speed, everything else is just blip and slam it in gear. D class road has the Ford Spec racer which is free and a blast, I raced that for several season's. Lift off oversteer like crazy and will force you to use maintenance throttle. Ferrari GT3 is a good buy at D class too, D class has the fixed setup series, then when you reach C you can run it in VLN multiclass and B in GT3.

iRacing can be so freaking expensive but man is it addicting.

Not sure about now, but back in the day C class trucks is where all the action was.

Skippy is great, it's literally a car built for learning, and participation is really strong. GTC is fun in the solstice or Mustang, nobody drives the diesel mobile Jetta. Mustang is the only car on iracing where you actually need to use the clutch to get maximum speed, everything else is just blip and slam it in gear. D class road has the Ford Spec racer which is free and a blast, I raced that for several season's. Lift off oversteer like crazy and will force you to use maintenance throttle. Ferrari GT3 is a good buy at D class too, D class has the fixed setup series, then when you reach C you can run it in VLN multiclass and B in GT3.

iRacing can be so freaking expensive but man is it addicting.

Just decided to try a practice session with the Ford Spec car on 2007 Daytona.. I fear that one may be above my current skill level haha. You weren't kidding about the lift-off oversteer... any corner on the track where I would usually use trail braking = ded. I did pick up the Ferrari GT3 as well since it's used so much I figured it would be a good buy. Surprisingly tame and predictable. I think I will quite enjoy learning it.

Also did an MX5 Cup race tonight at Charlotte. Qualified 4th but started from the pits since this was my first time ever driving this track. Ended up 3rd, about 2s per lap off the leaders pace :)

If you are only 2 sec off the leaders as a rookie, you are ahead of the curve (har har) :)

Back