IPS GLOW - Is this an acceptable amount?

MikeSol

n00b
I originally purchased a DELL S2740L. I returned it because there was a defect in the glass. However, it also had a white glow on dark (black) backgrounds in the lower left hand corner. I decided to try a HP 27XI instead. I like this monitor better. Colors 'pop' in a way I could not make them do on the DELL. However, I am seeing the exact same IPS Glow on this display. White glow in the lower left. Brown glow in the lower right. It moves if I move my head. If I line my head up with the glowing corner, it disappears. If I move back, it also goes away. But at what I consider normal viewing distance and looking straight on, the glow is there in the corners. I can't see the glow at all unless the screen in that area is black. It does not seem to distort any color but black.

I have brightness set to 100. Contrast to 90. Dynamic contrast OFF. Yes, I like the display to be bright. Are these high settings always going to give be glow on 27 inchers in the $300 price range? Is the amount of glow I am seeing normal or excessive in the picture? Its a bit worse in the picture though so please keep that in mind.

Here is the link to a picture of my monitor. I simply launched DOSBOX to quickly get a black screen. I hope this link works for you. -->

http://www.flickr.com/photos/109489879@N03/

It's not possible to say definitively without knowing the viewing distance and angle the photo was taken from, but based on my 27" it looks normal. All consumer 27" displays now have about the same glow, even the $1500+ ones.

The problem can be solved during manufacturing by adding additional polarizers, but this hasn't been done for years. Not saying it makes sense (it actually sucks since many people would pay more for better quality), but that's how it is right now.

I'm getting my first IPS panel today, waiting for it to deliver, the Dell U3014. I currently have a samsung syncmaster 27 inch panel. I'm hoping I'm going to see an improvement in quality.

The problem can be solved during manufacturing by adding additional polarizers, but this hasn't been done for years. Not saying it makes sense (it actually sucks since many people would pay more for better quality), but that's how it is right now.

Newest Eizos CG246 and CX240 have a polarizer (or something acting like it) and don't suffer from glow. Also the Eizo EV2736 is thought not to suffer from glow.

I have brightness set to 100. Contrast to 90. Dynamic contrast OFF. Yes, I like the display to be bright.

You can sped 3000$ on a monitor and get the same result if you insist on keeping the brightness cranked. Turn the brightness down (20-50%) and go do something else for 15 minutes (the display will not seem dim unless your room is very bright) or consider changing your rooms lighting. Lights are cheap.

Last edited:
Newest Eizos CG246 and CX240 have a polarizer (or something acting like it) and don't suffer from glow. Also the Eizo EV2736 is thought not to suffer from glow.

Interesting. Thanks for pointing those out.

You can sped 3000$ on a monitor and get the same result if you insist on keeping the brightness cranked. Turn the brightness down (20-50%) and go do something else for 15 minutes (the display will not seem dim unless your room is very bright) or consider changing your rooms lighting. Lights are cheap.

I have the brightness high because it just flat out looks better that way to me. Colors are intense and vivid. That is lost to a great degree with the brightness down to the halfway point. If my blacks have to look like crap in the corners, so be it.

Thanks to you and everyone else who replied.

I'm getting my first IPS panel today, waiting for it to deliver, the Dell U3014. I currently have a samsung syncmaster 27 inch panel. I'm hoping I'm going to see an improvement in quality.

Sorry to burst your dreams but I just returned my U3014 the other day. Severe IPS glow :/ Like.. REALLY bad :( I'm at the moment looking for a replacement. I find it pathetic that a monitor to $1300 isn't perfect in quality :/ IPS glow shouldn't exist at that price range.

Back