iPods Make You A Loser

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you want more proof that using an iPod makes you a loser, read this. :D

Lakefront Marathon officials have disqualified a second women's winner because the runner from Lombard, Ill., tuned into her iPod in the late stages of the run to Veterans Park, Race Director Kristine Hinrichs confirmed Wednesday morning.

If your a good runner you don't have to listen to music...Unfortunately for me, I need that music! :D

I think the headline should read, using an iPod makes race official losers.

The RIAA is already taking legal action against the runner seeking compensation for helping her finish 2nd.

Also they are suing the marathon organizers for a share of the prize money. (for themselves of course, not for the runner)

:D:D

Mental note never sign up for a race in Wisconsin. Crazy up there. She was the SECOND disqualified. The first:
The fastest woman, Cassie Peller, a 23-year-old student at Marquette University, was disqualified shortly after the race for accepting aid - a water bottle - from a friend outside of the official water stations.
WTF

Mental note never sign up for a race in Wisconsin. Crazy up there. She was the SECOND disqualified. The first:

WTF

You seriously don't understand why drinking from an unknown bottle might disqualify you from a race when there are plenty of water stations available?

"The Games Committee for an LDR event may allow the use of portable listening devices not capable of receiving communication."

In other words, they're just being retarded here.

I would be more worried about the fact that a Human woman has found a way to turn in to an iPod, she needs serious medical attention I would guess!

Whew! Good thing I bought an iPhone instead of an iPod! :D

I would be more worried about the fact that a Human woman has found a way to turn in to an iPod, she needs serious medical attention I would guess!

tuned into her iPod, not turned into her iPod.

"The Games Committee for an LDR event may allow the use of portable listening devices not capable of receiving communication."

yep, I am very involved with track and field and this rules applies to USATF meets.
in my region they do not allow it and i am all for not allowing it.

You seriously don't understand why drinking from an unknown bottle might disqualify you from a race when there are plenty of water stations available?
Nope, not at all. It was probably not unknown, says it was from a friend. She probably knew what she was consuming. In fact I was considering the same. My next Marathon is in my home town, I was thinking of having my mother at one point in the run to have place for me to exchange a couple of my amphipod bottles out.

Most races stock plain water + super sugary gatorade/powerade. I typically train with nuun... much milder, no sugars, can manage carbs and electrolytes separately, doesn't give anything for bacteria to grow in in bottles and camel backs.

Why would anyone want to take up running as a sport... It's got to be the most boring fucking thing you can do with your spare time.

But yeah - using an iPod probably gives you an unfair advantage. Distracts you from how shitty your sport of choice is, and how you'd rather be throwing a football :)

In both cases, I think the disqualification is justified. I'm not by any means an elite runner, but I completely understand the first disqualification. Who knows what it was laced with? It could have legitimately been just water or Gatorade or something. But maybe not.

On the iPod, it's a debate that has been raging for a while in all running circles. I personally am very much against it. I started out running listening to music, and even at a low volume, I couldn't always hear what I needed to with my surroundings...whether it be someone announcing themselves as passing me or the car that I don't see trying to turn on the street I'm crossing.

In a race, they're every bit as dangerous. The example posted by one commenter that the lady dropped her iPod and stopped to pick it up could have been potentially disasterous, especially if there had been a crash amongst multiple people. It's happened with me in the few races I've run.

I find that I am now very happy to run without music, and I enjoy it more than I did when listening to music. But, that's just me personally. Different strokes for different folks.

Excessive running is hard on the knees. They should have people chasing the money prize. Many marathon records will break.

Nope, not at all. It was probably not unknown, says it was from a friend. She probably knew what she was consuming. In fact I was considering the same. My next Marathon is in my home town, I was thinking of having my mother at one point in the run to have place for me to exchange a couple of my amphipod bottles out.

Most races stock plain water + super sugary gatorade/powerade. I typically train with nuun... much milder, no sugars, can manage carbs and electrolytes separately, doesn't give anything for bacteria to grow in in bottles and camel backs.

Curious on this one.. Have to talked to the race officials on this? I would think a case could be made for it being a special circumstance. I don't know though. I've only raced up to 10 miles (so far, I'm planning on a marathon at some point), and have usually relied on gels and sports drinks (not Gatorade or Powerade though). Never bothered to check on the sugar content though since I'll burn through it anyway.

She knew the rules, she broke them. She has nothing to whine about.

GG, remember that next time moron.

I can see the logic behind this type of prohibition, as one of the comments on that article pointed out.

article_comment said:
But artificial pacing devices, particularly audible ones, have been "illegal" in most serious human races for over 40 years. The ipod and music is just the latest form. You will see few serious races were some one is allowed to carry a stopwatch. In fact some races still prohibit informing the racers of their split times - it depends...including on how well the crowd access is controlled. Using a pacing devices is dangerous crutch for those who have not undergone sufficient conditioning as you can easily overextend yourself under its semi-hyponitic effect. Fortunately mid-pack folk seldom think they are going to place high in the finishing and simply often lack the discipline to force themselves onward if they have doubts about their health --- not so for those determined to win or place high. If you have enough discplined practice you should be able to roughly judge your body, pace and your opponent without a pacing device.

If your a serious runner (i.e. "Elites" from the article), then know/understand and play by the rules. If you dont know the rules, then that is your fault IMO.

WTF

lol I think I went to high school with her.

Also yes it is crazy in this awful state.could be worse though.

Because it might be Brawndo and electrolytes are what you need?

Disqualify you from winning a race in which the objective is to run from one point to another without any particular purpose? No. Who gives a shit?

Some of you take athletic competition much too seriously.

The problem is a grammatical error.

It should be tuned in to.

Took my brain a second to prodcess "why is she tuning in to an ipod, how is that possible? is there a new radio station called ipod?"

Then I realized the author is just ignorant of technology and the terms (which were invented before he was born).

Took my brain a second to prodcess "why is she tuning in to an ipod, how is that possible? is there a new radio station called ipod?"

Then I realized the author is just ignorant of technology and the terms (which were invented before he was born).

Not neccessarily ignorant of technology. You'll be surprised how many old phrases we still use today.

Cablemodem? Modem means modulator/demodulator. It implies analog data transfer. Cable is digital. Cablemodem is a misnomer, but we still use it.

Before cars we ran from places to places. We still use that word "I'm going to run to the store".

Those two are the only things I can think of off the top of my head, but I notice it a lot when it comes up.

Curious on this one.. Have to talked to the race officials on this? I would think a case could be made for it being a special circumstance. I don't know though. I've only raced up to 10 miles (so far, I'm planning on a marathon at some point), and have usually relied on gels and sports drinks (not Gatorade or Powerade though). Never bothered to check on the sugar content though since I'll burn through it anyway.
Sugar is fine, it's a good source of quickly digestible carb for endurance events. It's a combination of preference and what the stomach is happy with without causing... issues. I'm not saying I, or that anyone should, eliminate carbs/sugar, just that I manage them separately.

Oh, there are tons of awful writers (and editors) on the news sites and blogs. I find typos and grammatical errors daily.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing. So it's not an advantage thing, it's a safety issue? That's crazy.

This is typical of people nowadays:

"If they're going to disqualify me for having an iPod they should disqualify everyone who had one," she said. "It's just a little ridiculous. I went there to have a fun race with my friends."

The woman knew the rules, and chose to violate them, and now is whining about being caught. Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

The rules seemed pretty clear and both DQ'ed women broke them.

Tough break.

If you think you might win, follow the rules.

So you are implying that the marathon officials are the the same people that let MJ off for smoking a cigar in public in Chicago on a golf course?
:confused:

Wow. No. Celebrity status vs. no celebrity status.

:confused:

Wow. No. Celebrity status vs. no celebrity status.
I could see your point if MJ was smoking while running the same marathon she was running and was let off if there was a no smoking while running rule or whatever.

I could see your point if MJ was smoking while running the same marathon she was running and was let off if there was a no smoking while running rule or whatever.
Ease up a bit. It wasn't mean to be a profound commentary. The different events are irrelevant.

"It's just a little ridiculous. I went there to have a fun race with my friends."

People don't compete to have fun. They compete to win. The more elite you are, the more true this becomes and the more tight-ass rules you have to follow.

Back