iPod touch and copying music to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eiolon

Gawd
So I just got a iPod touch to replace my measly 512mb MP3 player. First thing I do is try and copy music over as if it were a flash drive (like I did with my old MP3 player). That's not working. So I am reading you have to copy from within iTunes. And when you copy it to the iPod, you can't copy it back. Then there is something about authorizing the device to play the song. Please tell me this isn't how it really is cause I'm packing this crap back up and returning it if that's the case.

Assuming the MP3's are unprotected (no DRM), just add your music folder to your iTunes library. From there you should be able to copy over what you want or have it automatically select some music to sync.

So I just got a iPod touch to replace my measly 512mb MP3 player. First thing I do is try and copy music over as if it were a flash drive (like I did with my old MP3 player). That's not working. So I am reading you have to copy from within iTunes. And when you copy it to the iPod, you can't copy it back. Then there is something about authorizing the device to play the song. Please tell me this isn't how it really is cause I'm packing this crap back up and returning it if that's the case.

itunes is used to sync songs on the ipod. You can get songs off the ipod but there is no easy way to do so. Consider it a one way transfer. Which is fine, I keep all my songs on my computer and server and just sync what I want when I want.

You don't have to authorize the device. Songs you purchase from itunes are authorized to play on so many computers and other that authorization can be moved to different computers.
But if you don't buy songs from itunes you are not affected by this. I don't buy squat from itunes. I just use it to manage my music, podcasts and audiobooks. No authorization or other wonky stuff required.

Do Zune owners have to put up with a similar method to transfer music?

The iPod is pretty cool beyond a media device but I think I'll just buy a larger capacity MP3 player at this point.

Do Zune owners have to put up with a similar method to transfer music?

As far as I know.

The iPod is pretty cool beyond a media device but I think I'll just buy a larger capacity MP3 player at this point.

Why? The ipod and itunes is far easier to manage your music and podcasts and quicker to transfer what you want then just doing a drag and drop with an old school MP3 player. Though you can still do that same drag and drop. Instead of opening up windows explorer you open itunes. Drag and drop.

If your player has enough capacity you just put every song you own on it. If not you just select a playlist, drag and drop, or select sync. It all gets transferred.

Using an old player like yours is something I would have to "put up with". Using itunes is just far easier and faster.

I just don't feel like having to download iTunes and install it on every computer just so I can put music on the iPod. With my current player, all I do is drag and drop or right click and sent to device. No fuss no muss. I also can transfer the music back to my computer or to other devices by copy and paste. I really don't see the how iTunes makes it better, it makes it more inconvenient and takes away an important ability in the process.

But thanks for the information. Navigation of play lists on standard MP3 player suck but it looks like I'll be missing out on convenience with which ever path I choose. I am just not willing to give up the ability to copy files off my MP3 player to other devices.

I just don't feel like having to download iTunes and install it on every computer just so I can put music on the iPod. With my current player, all I do is drag and drop or right click and sent to device. No fuss no muss. I also can transfer the music back to my computer or to other devices by copy and paste. I really don't see the how iTunes makes it better, it makes it more inconvenient and takes away an important ability in the process.

But thanks for the information. Navigation of play lists on standard MP3 player suck but it looks like I'll be missing out on convenience with which ever path I choose. I am just not willing to give up the ability to copy files off my MP3 player to other devices.

Why would you need to copy songs off of the player? The songs are already on your computer. It's not like they disappear when you sync your player. I guess I don't understand the need to copy songs off of the player.

You don't have to install itunes on every computer. Just the one with your music. You can do the same drag and drop with an ipod and itunes.

You should give it a try. I think you might be impressed.

The ability to make many playlists quickly, some simply by picking the ratings you give songs or by making a genius playlist. Only takes seconds to do and then you have a bunch of music to listen too. Maybe even some you've never heard before. And it can always be something fresh.

I don't even put music on my ipod anymore. I just use it for the podcasts. I'm a podcast junkie and the itunes organization and ease of use is better than any other app i've come across.

At first I didn't get the whole itunes thing. Having to use their app just to use an MP3 player. The way they did things was not the way I did things. It didn't make sense. It was a foreign concept to me. But after I got an ipod and started using itunes regularly I realized it was far better than what I had been doing.

1. What do I do if I want to give songs to others? My computer won't always be with me but the MP3 player will be.

2. What do I do if I want to download music to my MP3 player but I am not at a machine that has iTunes installed?

Those are my two biggest reasons for having to go back to a standard MP3 player. Since I do it routinely, it's something that has to be done.

1. What do I do if I want to give songs to others? My computer won't always be with me but the MP3 player will be.

2. What do I do if I want to download music to my MP3 player but I am not at a machine that has iTunes installed?

Those are my two biggest reasons for having to go back to a standard MP3 player. Since I do it routinely, it's something that has to be done.

1. tell them to download or buy their own songs. Email the songs to them. Burn them on a disc for them. Let them FTP into your computer and grab what they want. Why must others get songs from you? They are capable of getting their own.

Though on the zune you can wirelessly send songs to another person with a zune. Though some copy protection is involved. At least last I heard.

2. do you have to download songs while you're out and about? Just download at home. It's not so important that it must happen right then and there is it? Do you just have to have a song right at that moment and it absolutely must be on your MP3 player within seconds? That just seems weird to me.

I would be nervous about plugging an MP3 player in just anywhere. Or taking songs from people when you don't know where they got them. You are asking to get a virus, malware, keylogger, trojan, etc.

I guess your reasons are just absolutely foreign to me. I just don't understand the need for that. But to each his own.
An ipod touch allows you to do so much more. I'd regret returning it without actually using it for awhile. You might find you really like it. Or you could just send it to me!

Depending on the ipod model, you can use some of the non-apple sanctioned utilities out there (I prefer yamipod) to copy files back and forth.

I have needed to copy mp3s off my ipod to put on my work computer (I keep my ipod locked in my glove box in my truck attached to my stereo 99% of the time). I rarely do this though... maybe once every 6 months when my off-site mp3 drive hasn't been synced w/ the latest album.

Apple chose the iTunes software method to make it easy for people. I have friends that have no concept of how files and folders work on a computer. These are the same people that download attachments from their email, but have no idea where they saved them. And they keep their documents on their desktop. Dragging songs around and keeping anything organized would be a nightmare. Does Apple really wanna deal with support calls about basic computer knowledge? iTunes makes it easy... build your library on your computer, and sync it to your iPod.

And what if you had a CD? You'd have to rip the songs somewhere, then drag the songs to your device. Would everybody be able to do that? Do most people even know what "CD ripping" is? iTunes makes that easy too... Import CD.

For experienced users, there are 3rd party utilities for manually putting songs on and taking songs off an iPod. But I still use iTunes because it's easy to keep my podcasts updated, and easily uncheck the old podcasts to get them off my iPod after I listen to them. Besides, I'm not putting new music on my iPod that often. When I wanna add a new song to my iPod, I just drag it into the iTunes library. Done. There's not much difference between dragging a song directly onto a device, or dragging it into the iTunes window. Now, if iTunes had smart folders, or could watch folders for changes... that would be heaven!

Would I like to be able to add a song to my iPod at a friend's house? Sure... but it's not a dealbreaker. As long as everything else still works, I can wait till I get home.

Please tell me this isn't how it really is cause I'm packing this crap back up and returning it if that's the case.

Over 150 million iPods sold... 70% of the market... all using iTunes. It's not that bad. iPods have been around for over 7 years... you had no idea how they worked? I'm glad Apple makes it easy. That's part of the iPod's success. My dad has an iPod, and he can import all his CDs. He'd have no idea how to manually drag files around.

I am not trolling. I think the iPod Touch is an amazing piece of technology. I just don't see why Apple did what it did. Why so restrictive? Why so inconvenient? I am not always home, in fact, I am only home on Sunday. That's 6 days without my PC.

Any ways, I did some research and found some 3rd party software that will allow me to transfer back and forth. Only problem is that it's software and I have to load it on each PC like I do iTunes. But at least this will allow me to copy back and forth.

I don't know, I'll try it for a week with this software. If it gets inconvenient then I'll just return it.

I have 2 iPods in my house, but no touch, so not sure if it works, but I use MediaMonkey to transfer all my songs over. Does the conversion of all my FLAC stuff too. iTunes isn't bad or anything, but I just don't use it as a media player. So my library can get new songs added a lot. I had trouble with getting iTunes to update the library easily. It would, but it just takes a long time. MediaMonkey has an "explorer" type folder structure that can do it without having to update the library. Pretty much only thing I use it for and it's not expensive.

I am not trolling. I think the iPod Touch is an amazing piece of technology. I just don't see why Apple did what it did. Why so restrictive? Why so inconvenient? I am not always home, in fact, I am only home on Sunday. That's 6 days without my PC.

Any ways, I did some research and found some 3rd party software that will allow me to transfer back and forth. Only problem is that it's software and I have to load it on each PC like I do iTunes. But at least this will allow me to copy back and forth.

I don't know, I'll try it for a week with this software. If it gets inconvenient then I'll just return it.

I'm with you on this one. I love my iPod, I like iTunes, but it would be nice if you could just drag and drop on any computer like you specify.

Ok, fine, your not trolling, just amazingly behind the curve. iPods have been out for how long now?? :D

I have 2 iPods in my house, but no touch, so not sure if it works, but I use MediaMonkey to transfer all my songs over. Does the conversion of all my FLAC stuff too. iTunes isn't bad or anything, but I just don't use it as a media player. So my library can get new songs added a lot. I had trouble with getting iTunes to update the library easily. It would, but it just takes a long time. MediaMonkey has an "explorer" type folder structure that can do it without having to update the library. Pretty much only thing I use it for and it's not expensive.

Yep, MediaMonkey is amazing. I only install iTunes for iPod updates, then quickly uninstall it.

Where are you for 6 days? If you spend most of your time somewhere else just use the itunes software there.
I don't know the size of your music collection but if space allows you can just put every single song you own on the ipod. Then you don't have to worry about being away from the computer that houses your music.
New music doesn't come out that often. Typically I sit down once a month to see what's new and get it and add it to my library.

I travel a lot. My computer access is limited to hotels, cafe's, libraries, etc. I generally can't install software on those computers as they are locked down. I have sites I go to get my music without any 3rd party software needed.

I don't listen to mainstream music so it doesn't matter if it's new or not. I listen to classical, film and game scores - things that have been out for decades if not over a century ago.

I travel a lot. My computer access is limited to hotels, cafe's, libraries, etc. I generally can't install software on those computers as they are locked down. I have sites I go to get my music without any 3rd party software needed.

I don't listen to mainstream music so it doesn't matter if it's new or not. I listen to classical, film and game scores - things that have been out for decades if not over a century ago.

And stuff like that can be downloaded when you are home. Why must it happen when you are away from home? Load up your ipod with your music collection. Should be more than enough to last you until you are home again.

Like I said before, I would be reluctant to plug a USB device into a public computer. I'm actually surprised those computers let you download at all.

I wonder if the iphone/itouch have the ability to download these same files via the web with a 3rd party app installed on them? The app store does have all kinds of stuff and that would solve all your issues.

Exactly. I don't understand why people need to add music from more then one computer. I have my music collection stores on my main PC, and that's the only PC that my iPod ever syncs from.. my music isn't anywhere else, so why would I need to connect it to any other PC.

Hmm, surprised you can even access those 'sites'. Most hotels, cafe's, libraries block the questionable locations and the legit ones usually require 3rd party software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back