ipod question - no longer recognized automatically

mulebennett

Limp Gawd
hi all, first time posting in the apple subsection of [H]. bought an ipod a month or so ago and couldn't be happier with it until about two days ago. i don't really know how to explain it, but you know how when you plug your ipod into the dock and into the usb port, it's automatically recognized and it appears in iTunes as "Your Name's Ipod".

well, all of the sudden it won't do that automatic recognizing and when i plug it in, the backlight comes on, it'll sometimes charge (sometimes it won't) and i can't listen to it through my iTunes cause it doesn't appear as my ipod is connected. i have checked that it is plugged in to the usb and that the dock is connected properly to the usb cable, so i am now confused.

please, members of [H], help me figure this out :(
Thanks in advance.

edit: i have tried plugging in the dock to both my desktop AND laptop to no avail.

Did you change the setting in iTunes to allow the iPod to automatically be recognized as an HD?

i don't think so... i had it hooked up to my desktop for a while and it would recognize it and let me play it through winamp. so why all of the sudden won't it recognize anything? i haven't dropped it...

and i used Winamp because i don't even have iTunes on my desktop, so it was working normally on both computers until a couple of days ago

When that happened to me it's because a friend took it out without doing the software disconnect deal (it's acting as a hard drive). A factory reset or whatever fixed it, didn't erase music or anything.

-Chris

Try resetting it. Hold select and menu at the same time. I have the same problem and that fixed it for me.

nicoritschel said:
Try resetting it. Hold select and menu at the same time. I have the same problem and that fixed it for me.

does that erase all the music from my ipod?

Back