iPod or Nomad Zen Xtra

LocoPyro

n00b
i figure i might add my 2 cents here

i am/was in the same situation about deciding what player to buy, but i finally settled upon the 20gig iPod...i like the fact that it is smaller and has a better interface, not to mention is just looks so much more sexy =]

i just need to order the darn thing, but i cant seem to get ahold of
gigglebyte cause his PM box is full =[

I would definently wait for macworld SF. If the rumors are true and apple is coming out with a whole new lineup of ipods, its possible the top-end will get a boost or something, so the prices on the rest will drop.

sorry bout that Loco...I only had 14 messages in my inbox and didn't realize that was it ;) oh well...and I did try to call yesterday morning but no answer...I would also wait until the 5 or 6 to see what is coming out because you never know what is going to happen and it is entirely possible new ipod stuff could be introduced then....oh and my box has some more space in it now :D

I had a similar debate and ended up with an iRiver. lol

If apple fixes the battery issues, improves sound quality and gives some nice recording features and whatnot the iPod would have been higher on my list.

But since the iRiver iHP-120 is a 20 gigger about the size of the 40 gig iPod and had all those features it was an easy choice for me. It actually sounds better than a Zen I tested extensively as well, but only slightly. And that's in spite of the fact it's got a lower rated signal quality.

Originally posted by emorphien
I had a similar debate and ended up with an iRiver. lol

If apple fixes the battery issues, improves sound quality and gives some nice recording features and whatnot the iPod would have been higher on my list.

But since the iRiver iHP-120 is a 20 gigger about the size of the 40 gig iPod and had all those features it was an easy choice for me. It actually sounds better than a Zen I tested extensively as well, but only slightly. And that's in spite of the fact it's got a lower rated signal quality.

What battery issues?

So it uses a Li-ion that lasts as long as the warranty. What else do you expect? There's an extended warranty...

Originally posted by lopoetve
What battery issues?

So it uses a Li-ion that lasts as long as the warranty. What else do you expect? There's an extended warranty...

The short battery life, not the life span of the battery, is something I don't care for. Most of the smaller units have some kind of issue to deal with regarding battery life. And many aren't easily user serviceable, I hope however Apple will consider including Lithium-Polymer batteries in the next line of iPods, most things they've been used in before have had a longer useful battery lifespan than 18 months.

Originally posted by emorphien
The short battery life, not the life span of the battery, is something I don't care for. Most of the smaller units have some kind of issue to deal with regarding battery life. And many aren't easily user serviceable, I hope however Apple will consider including Lithium-Polymer batteries in the next line of iPods, most things they've been used in before have had a longer useful battery lifespan than 18 months.

That is something I would consider a valid complaint (I was hoping you weren't going to post the whole ipodsdirtyyaya...). And, it's something that influenced my decision when I chose a player. I still got an iPod though.

Here's what I finally did:

I initially got a 40GB iPod from the local Circuit City, but couldn't get it working with my machine. My firewire port was WHQL and I did all of the troubleshooting steps on Apples Support site and asked around on the Apple forums. Conclusion was either the cable or the iPod was bad. For $450 (yes, it was on sale), I expect something to work out of the box. Period. :p I got it at the local Circuit City, which unfortunately only iPod in the whole store. So I said, "Screw it!" and took it back. Then I ordered a $310 Zen from NewEgg. It has worked flawlessly. I was tempted by the iRiver (especially design and remote), but the 20GB really turned me off (I've already got 20GB on my Zen). The only thing the Zen needs is better ear buds. I am getting a set of Shure E3's, which with a Shure dealer employee discount, gives me a 40GB mp3 player with a kickin' set of ear buds (from what I've read these kick the butt of most consumer level headphones of ANY sorts) for about $80 less or so less than the iPod. (my cost on the Shure's is about $100).

I decided not to stick out mainly because several people on the forum was having problems similar to mine.

Thanks for the advice folks,

Mr.Dearthian

Originally posted by mr.dearthian
Here's what I finally did:

I initially got a 40GB iPod from the local Circuit City, but couldn't get it working with my machine. My firewire port was WHQL and I did all of the troubleshooting steps on Apples Support site and asked around on the Apple forums. Conclusion was either the cable or the iPod was bad. For $450 (yes, it was on sale), I expect something to work out of the box. Period. :p I got it at the local Circuit City, which unfortunately only iPod in the whole store. So I said, "Screw it!" and took it back. Then I ordered a $310 Zen from NewEgg. It has worked flawlessly. I was tempted by the iRiver (especially design and remote), but the 20GB really turned me off (I've already got 20GB on my Zen). The only thing the Zen needs is better ear buds. I am getting a set of Shure E3's, which with a Shure dealer employee discount, gives me a 40GB mp3 player with a kickin' set of ear buds (from what I've read these kick the butt of most consumer level headphones of ANY sorts) for about $80 less or so less than the iPod. (my cost on the Shure's is about $100).

I decided not to stick out mainly because several people on the forum was having problems similar to mine.

Thanks for the advice folks,

Mr.Dearthian
The E3's just shipped as of Monday, January 5th.

I guess I should use this as a chance to pimp my SHURE earphone collection.

IM002535.JPG

Shame for the iPod though. My friend just got his today; and it worked flawlessly. It happens.

Back