Ipod Nano 3rd Gen=POS

ClariorHincHonos

[H]ard|Gawd
So I buy this thing, hook it up at work to get some tunes, and of course it updates the firmware. Everything works great.

I get home and attempt to load more songs onto it. Delete it from the work library and try to sync it with the home-it does this on its own-but I know it won't happen (44K songs vs 8GB). So it errors out-ok fine, that was expected. So I try to get it to sync certain playlists. Well, apparently this awesome firmware update essentially bricks my Ipod. I plug it in, it tries to sync/syncs, and then immediately ejects itself.

I've tried the whole disk mode/format/restore-errored out.

Apple sucks.

These things do happen, especially with firmware updates. I think Apple would have no issues with replacing your defective unit.

Finally got the restore to work and it seems to be working now. I hope it stays that way.

Can't say I'll ever be a fan of iTunes. I use it because I have to (purchased music). But I wish I could use something else.

But of course it probably works on OSX just fine.

I'll have to evaluate my solution and post it on the Apple discussion deal-it seemed like a few people were having the same issue.

My 1G 4 gig Nano would semi-brick every time I tried to add songs to it's existing file set. I would have to do a low level format on the ipod as an external HD with Itunes and all other associated software turned off. Some time ago, july or so an itunes update came out and the problem went away, I never really looked into it and just figured the Nano's had a software issue.

Well, the iPod is a nice player, but Apple just doesn't budge on their options for the customers. They limit you on how they want it to work, not how the customer wants it to work. It would be great if they left them a little more open so the customer could use it how they want.

Of course Microsoft would never do that with the Zune...

Well, the iPod is a nice player, but Apple just doesn't budge on their options for the customers. They limit you on how they want it to work, not how the customer wants it to work. It would be great if they left them a little more open so the customer could use it how they want.

I rounded it up from memory...but what's a few hundred between friends :D

itunes.jpg

Wow...that's alot of music. How/where/when do you listen to it all?

I think the 160GB Classic would have better served your needs :D

@ B.W. :Well, it's not bad in terms of responsiveness. It's actually on my server, so it has to load everything over the network. I'm running Gb so I don't see any issues there. HOWEVER, getting the library loaded the first time over the network...yeah....took a solid day if I remember correctly. It's on a single WD RE drive currently...which makes me nervous. I plan to migrate it to a RAID 1 sometime soon.

And thanks for the heads up on Filezilla.

@mdameron: Don't really listen to her, but it's good to have around sometimes. Variety is nice....

@compslckr: ....unless it's country :D Sorry man, I heard nothing but for a good portion of my youth, don't care to anymore.

I really only listen to a core group of artists, the rest is just there, in case I find it later and to keep things fresh. You want to talk about random-put my library on and you'll hear so many different things. That's what I like. Also, having a library that large cuts down on spending-if I find something I can look there first. I do support the music though-I like concerts. I've been to 311 about 3-4 times, and numerous other concerts.

Dude, they need to change your title from Limp Gawd to Music Gawd. There is none higher, lol.

I ONLY have about 7400 songs. All ripped from CDs, into Apple Lossless. I am paranoid about drive failure, so I have it on 2 external drives, and one internal drive. What I really need is about 250 gigs of FREE online storage. That would hold me for a while. Though I would need at least 350 gigs eventually; I am always buying music.

**just noticed you are at just under 200 gigs: I have over 200 gigs, with only 1/6th of your library song count!**

I also plan on putting it on another external drive and keeping it at work, as it is offsite, and ...at work lol.

Cheers. :cool:

Back