Ipod/Itunes question

Pegi

Limp Gawd
Bought my son an Ipod Classic for Christmas. I personally don't own an Ipod so don't know anything about the Itunes software. Would appreciate if someone could confirm this for me (and him):

So far he's loaded about 100 of his own CDs and a couple of downloadable cds from Amazon onto Itunes. He says it's actually stored on Itunes and not his hard drive.

1. Is this true? In the future, should his Ipod break and he get a new Ipod, would he then simply be able to download his entire Itunes library onto the new Ipod?

2. If his wife should get, say, an Ipod Nano and hook it up to his computer, would she also be able to download his entire Itunes library onto her Ipod as well?

3. Is that a sufficient backup for downloadable media? Should he also be keeping it on his hard drive or a flash drive or something?

Yes the music is stored in itunes, which is on your hard drive so the music is on the hard drive.

Oh, my, so all those music files are actually stored on *his* hard drive? I don't think he realized that. His hard drive isn't all that large! What would happen if his computer died? Would he have to then upload once again all his cds?

Back up his music, particularly his downloaded music. Its his responsibility to backup his purchased music. You can't re download music just because he lost his music. He would have to repurchase.

Thanks, guys; I really had no idea but at least I knew to ask. I've just sent him an email with this information (he lives out of state). This is his first MP3 player so it's all new to him, too.

Back