iPod, iMac, iBook, iEtcEtcEtc...what does the "i" stand for???

Hey there...what does the lower case "i" stand for in iBook and iMac, and iPod, etc...??? Just wondering....THANX
C'YA ?:-D

Well, the original iMac's name was short for "internet Mac." Their ad campaign focused on the fact that the new iMac "jumped out of the box and delivered internet access on a silver plate", as one Macworld editor put it. It was supposed to be really easy to get online with the original 233MHz iMac.

That was where the name originally came from. I doubt it still means that, though, because the 1st-gen iPods were hardly 'internet Pods'

Internet was one, I think it was also "I" as in a personal thing. Something that you could use for fun and customize the way you want it.. either way it's stuck. It seems to be used for their consumer/newbie stuff. (iMovie, iBook as compred to Final Cut Pro, Powerbook)

These days the i prefix denotes a consumer product, as opposed to a pro product. The iBook, iMac, iPod, iLife, iSight, etc product lines are geared towards your every day users, where the powermacs, powerbooks, etc are designed and marketed for professional users.

If it really stands for anything I have no clue.

I just think of it as meaning "interconnected", as despite the fact I doubt that's what it actually means, all of the iProducts can easily be interconnected together to work together without much effort. Of course the same is true of Power* stuff, but, well, eh.

I thought that they came up with the whole "i" think to stress the idea of Apple products is made for individuals. Like, this product is made just for me, "i".

Back